Autopsy Round 6, 2024: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Clark is more likely to not make it than make it at this point. Injury hasn't helped but he's 25 and hasn't cemented a best 22 spot.

Dow is untested but looks exactly what's missing, Henry looked good though. Henry is an outside mid/wing or HF, not sure he helps our lack of inside midfielders.
Dow is untested, is he Gringo?
73 games!
I guess that's where we went wrong with Dan Hannebery. Picked him after only 200 games at the swans. Untested!

He is terrible

So was Dow. He'd cost nothing and be a low cost gamble. He's only 21 still. He's behind so many guns he'll never get a run there.

Dow is untested, is he Gringo?
73 games!
I guess that's where we went wrong with Dan Hannebery. Picked him after only 200 games at the swans. Untested!

Untested with us. He was s**t until last year and even then he played mostly as a sub. At Carlton he was supported by heaps of quality mids. He's going to have to work harder with us. We still don't know if he'll improve us.

So was Dow. He'd cost nothing and be a low cost gamble. He's only 21 still. He's behind so many guns he'll never get a run there.

I havent seen much of him (Phillips) but he has been in an ordinary environment from the get go.
The difference is that Dow atleast has a set of wheels in traffic. He can break through a stoppage at speed. s**t disposal mind you.

Phillips is a small slow stodgy mid.

Finds the ball in close. Has no hurt factor. Doesnt cover ground well. Has no impact.

The difference is that Dow atleast has a set of wheels in traffic. He can break through a stoppage at speed. s**t disposal mind you.

Phillips is a small slow stodgy mid.

Finds the ball in close. Has no hurt factor. Doesnt cover ground well. Has no impact.

I watched Dow in the VFL a couple of years back and he had about 35 disposals but every time he touched it it turned over. Must have gone at about 10% by foot. Didn't think he'd make it back to AFL.

Will Philips goes alright actually, he can do things only Steele and Crouch can do consistently:

1. Win the ball cleanly in close/contests
2. Handball cleanly to teammate on the outside
3. Once handball off, keeps running to get the return handball
4. Can hit short targets by foot

No, he is not a Dangerfield, Bont, Fyfe, but they don’t grow on trees, Owens and Philipou can’t win the ball consistenly, and are not natural accumulators who can bring other teammates into the game at this stage of their career. Owens’ skills are also quite messy and not a clean user of the ball, not ideal for a midfielder.

As my post pointed out.

We can’t cut. We need to trade players out for currency unless we are pick buying. We don’t have enough picks to cut and trade.

But the only absolutely terrible deal I’ve heard whispers of being on the market is Lobb and they won’t be upgrading a pick for us.
It would be something like the Melbourne third rounder for Lobb and a dogs 4th
Coincidentally l just popped a possible breakdown on one of the trade threads. We can probably do ok without losing too much skin or doing something questionable like getting Lobb.
If we were to buy picks, I'd rather use that on trading as you know what the exchange is gonna get you. If money can facilitate something like the Taranto option then that's the go. Not a draft pick which is a speculative proposition.
We need that premo mid asap or we run much higher risk of fizzling out.

Untested with us. He was s**t until last year and even then he played mostly as a sub. At Carlton he was supported by heaps of quality mids. He's going to have to work harder with us. We still don't know if he'll improve us.
I think we do know!

I think Steele, Dow, Henry and ? is the problem. I think we've seen Henry will be in there a fair bit.
Crouch is 30 and I'm a bit worried that he won't get fully fit any time soon.
Clark won't be match fit for a while, and struggles to string games together.
Windhager is getting close to consistency, but when will it come?
Owens/Matteus/Seb/Jones aren't going to impact games from the middle this year unless Matteus finds serious mojo.
Garcia has just started, and too small to play with both Henry and Dow in there. Good start though.

Damn we need someone, preferably 23 or under, we can just stick in the middle and forget about it for Christmas. Don't care how they come!

I love watching Harley Reid, but I can't watch him play without thinking "And we got Paddy F'ing McCartin". No personal offense to Paddy, but even without the concussions...

Will Philips goes alright actually, he can do things only Steele and Crouch can do consistently:

1. Win the ball cleanly in close/contests
2. Handball cleanly to teammate on the outside
3. Once handball off, keeps running to get the return handball
4. Can hit short targets by foot

No, he is not a Dangerfield, Bont, Fyfe, but they don’t grow on trees, Owens and Philipou can’t win the ball consistenly, and are not natural accumulators who can bring other teammates into the game at this stage of their career. Owens’ skills are also quite messy and not a clean user of the ball, not ideal for a midfielder.

Worth a punt at the right price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is slower than all of our mids. Huge pass
Definitely faster than Steele and Crouch who are still our best mids.. do we have anyone else? please don’t say:

- Ross: more outside mid, also slow

- Winghager: Shown good signs, but not consistent yet

- Clark: a half back that can’t stay on the park

- Jones: another half back with some speed but messy skills again

- Owens: not a mid (messy skills, can’t find the ball)

- Philipou: not amid (can’t find the ball and struggled to impact a contest when played there)

- Dow: not played there yet, again questionable skills

- Henry: do not have the body to play full time mid

- Garcia: young and quick, is a mid/forward, not ready for a full time mid role

I think we do know!

I think Steele, Dow, Henry and ? is the problem. I think we've seen Henry will be in there a fair bit.
Owens/Matteus/Seb/Jones aren't going to impact games from the middle this year unless Matteus finds serious mojo.
Garcia has just started, and too small to play with both Henry and Dow in there. Good start though.

Damn we need someone, preferably 23 or under, we can just stick in the middle and forget about it for Christmas. Don't care how they come!

I love watching Harley Reid, but I can't watch him play without thinking "And we got Paddy F'ing McCartin". No personal offense to Paddy, but even without the concussions...

Dow has missed heaps of footy too. No different to Clark. Dow should be ready but until west how he fits in we can't call it. Henry looked great but he's an outside runner more than an answer to our clearance issues.

McCartin was just dumb. Petracca was the stand out player in his draft.

I'd be very keen to see how Riley Garcia goes, he's the form player of the VFL this season. They usually play him in the high half forward role in the seniors but he was drafted as a mid. Played as a defensive forward against Nas, Bonner and Sincs against us and looked lively. He'd be a better option than Jones on ball. His kicking is really nice. Averaging about 35 disposals and a goal week over 3 games this season in the VFL.

Worth a punt at the right price.

Reckon you'd get him for Dow type of trade. At 21 you're getting a partially developed mid that could go either way but a former pick 3 usually got drafted high for a reason.

Maybe but it’s not arbitrary dollars, it’s dollars attached to an actual player. Which player out there is on a big contract but is surplus to needs at his club?
No I think its moved onto a discussion about outright pick purchasing.

The idea being discussed now is that a clubs could directly buy draft picks from a club (most likely one in contention and with salary cap issues) and the money they get for selling the pick is then added to their salary cap so they can continue to keep their good players while they are in their "window".

All of Sharman, King and Membrey are very good on the lead, the problem is they're not doing it.
I think half the issue it the RTB high press just isn't allowing space. Our defence is too weak atm which sucks the rest into the defensive half/50. Without any express pace smalls to worry about the oppo defenders have an easy lunch. IMHO we can't have NWM and Bonner playing in the same zone. Probably add Hill and Sharman to that as well. They are all good to excellent when given space poor to terrible in contested situations. We need our contested players back. Can't expect the greyhounds to win us a dog fight each week.
would leave Higgins in the forward half all the time and someone in our defensive goal square- everyone one else can do the keepings off thing

Our luck would be:
Get Lobb and Thomas.
Lose Pou

Thomas has had chances. Hasn't learnt a damn thing. Doesn't deserve to be on an AFL list.
j
I think we do know!

just have to google type 1 diabetes and elite sports -its all there -just a criminal waste

Remove this Banner Ad

Back