Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

oh well, looking at their fixture they are staring down the barrel of another 2-3 win season tops. Given Eagles improvement it's possibly 1.
No doubt they’ll win 1 but outside the Eagles in Tassie I doubt they start favourites for any game this season.

Suns in Darwin and then Marvel (doubt they win either), Eagles in Perth and then Tassie (probably Tassie they should win), Richmond at Marvel, Hawthorn at Marvel.

Is he that great though?
He could be...he has all the tools to be a star of the game.
But he is very hit and miss, and inconsistent. Been on the list for 6 years now. Criticism is warranted, and questions should be asked.
To me he is not a full forward. He should be up the ground and away from goals.
Too many excuses for Max, he needs to establish himself this season, but I agree, he is not a key position player- doesn't play like one and is really a 200cm athletic half forward flanker in the way he plays.

Over reaction, take a beat and then reassess. He came back from a knee injury with a pretty good defender on him all day with little help. The King bashing has to stop.
He came back from a knee LOL . It was a knock not a reco

He braced and Darcy stayed open. Wardlaw was lucky that he didn't get the head or he would have been out for weeks. Most of those type of hits are no different but if you bump you roll the dice.
He did everything he could imo to avoid contact and then sensibly braced to protect himself. If we’re now going to punish that then we can kiss football as we know it goodbye.

If he prefers to play forward then he’s got to learn how to kick goals.
If Pou needs a sprint coach, Owens can do a lot worse than getting a kicking coach in the off season.
Doesn’t seem the kind of guy to take shortcuts so I’m pretty confident that’s already happening. My point was that he needs to be comfortable and confident in his approach. If it’s repeatable and he’s kicking goals who cares if it’s not pretty.

I know for a fact that a lot of guys put in quite a bit of extra work away from the club. Higgins for example has been spotted several times at the ammo’s headquarters working on his goal kicking.

He did everything he could imo to avoid contact and then sensibly braced to protect himself. If we’re now going to punish that then we can kiss football as we know it goodbye.
Ultimately the only bit that matters is that he didn’t hit the head.

If he did all that stuff but still collected Wilson on the jaw, he’d be gone.

The North autopsy thread refers to us in headline as St Fiddler pretty ordinary...

View attachment 1980826

I actually think that's pretty funny. I'd totally do that back their way. North are another s**t irrelevant club like us. We're both Washington Generals level clubs, who gives a s**t if they have a bit of fun on their forum.

Thoughts:

• first game back for Max and Corr read and implemented the Harris Andrews playbook thoroughly and effectively (physical attention at and over the line). We had 28 scoring shots in the game, and not everyone gets to eat every game. I'm happy not to overreact.
  • Wilson...
  • Hayes and Marshall split ruck time evenly, like they were trying to rest Marshall without leaving him out of the side. Worked pretty well as long as you don't care about hit outs.
  • Do people who think Seb is cooked watch different games to me?
  • Good to see Sinclair getting more of the ball. He's in the middle so the kicking efficiency won't be as high as previous years, but he's closing in on best form again.
  • Boy was I wrong on Dougal. An exceptional game from him. Do that every week and he's in the side every week.
  • A wonderful return from Webster. It's obvious Lyon rates him and why.
  • Very hard for the opposition to keep all of the runners quiet.
  • Another notch on the "our most important player is Mason Wood" belt. 32 wins and 23 losses with him playing, 5 wins and 16 losses with him not playing.

And we were told off for using 'norf' and 'filth'

Roll eyes emoji

I can always change it to "Not quite Footscray" in title if they want to be specific and misquote names of places, or we can be vs rubber chicken land.

Thoughts:

• first game back for Max and Corr read and implemented the Harris Andrews playbook thoroughly and effectively (physical attention at and over the line). We had 28 scoring shots in the game, and not everyone gets to eat every game. I'm happy not to overreact.
  • Wilson...
  • Hayes and Marshall split ruck time evenly, like they were trying to rest Marshall without leaving him out of the side. Worked pretty well as long as you don't care about hit outs.
  • Do people who think Seb is cooked watch different games to me?
  • Good to see Sinclair getting more of the ball. He's in the middle so the kicking efficiency won't be as high as previous years, but he's closing in on best form again.
  • Boy was I wrong on Dougal. An exceptional game from him. Do that every week and he's in the side every week.
  • A wonderful return from Webster. It's obvious Lyon rates him and why.
  • Very hard for the opposition to keep all of the runners quiet.
  • Another notch on the "our most important player is Mason Wood" belt. 32 wins and 23 losses with him playing, 5 wins and 16 losses with him not playing.

Ross turned back the clock. Had a pretty ordinary year so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people who think Seb is cooked watch different games to me?

I reckon the argument against Seb is an opportunity cost argument. He does ok in the midfield but could someone else do better? He doesn't get a lot of clearances, doesn't generally have a huge amount of impact, kicking inside 50 isn't great. In the absence of someone else to play that role then he's fine, but if there's someone else with more impact then we'd be a better side.

I reckon the argument against Seb is an opportunity cost argument. He does ok in the midfield but could someone else do better? He doesn't get a lot of clearances, doesn't generally have a huge amount of impact, kicking inside 50 isn't great. In the absence of someone else to play that role then he's fine, but if there's someone else with more impact then we'd be a better side.

I think the argument with a replacement is they are likely to bring things Seb does not, but they are also likely to take things off the table. For Seb's limitations, he doesn't take anything off the table. He's not Nas by foot, but he very rarely turns it over. His goal assist in the first was a classic demonstration as to why he's in the team - didn't panic, didn't waste the ball, found the best available target in the time he had.

Hard to think of a two-time B&F winner in our history more disrespected by the fans.

Love this stat TP.
How about this one?

Scoring shots this year

28 v NM - Wood plays
24 v Coll - Wood plays (although only a small portion of the game)
23 v Geel - Wood plays
------------------------------
22 v Ess - Wood out
22 v Rich - Wood out
19 v GWS - Wood out
19 v WB - Wood out
17 v PA - Wood out

How about this one?

Scoring shots this year

28 v NM - Wood plays
23 v Geel - Wood plays
22 v Ess - Wood out
22 v Rich - Wood out
19 v GWS - Wood out
19 v WB - Wood out
17 v PA - Wood out
I'm damn proud to say I was one of the first to defend him when the club picked him up, he is so important to our structure

I think the argument with a replacement is they are likely to bring things Seb does not, but they are also likely to take things off the table. For Seb's limitations, he doesn't take anything off the table. He's not Nas by foot, but he very rarely turns it over. His goal assist in the first was a classic demonstration as to why he's in the team - didn't panic, didn't waste the ball, found the best available target in the time he had.

Hard to think of a two-time B&F winner in our history more disrespected by the fans.
I think at 30 and at times looking very slow and much much older than 30 added with our current injection of youth its less about disrespecting him and more about hoping someone with some more weapons emerges.

Off the top of my head he was good against Richmond and Collingwood and very good against Essendon and North. Somewhere between average and poor in the other games (possibly okay against the dogs but im giving no one a pass for that s**t show).

Hes absolutely best 22 ongoing for the time being but as players return and we wind up with that real squeeze for runners (only so many flank spots) hes going to have to keep performing to keep his spot.

How about this one?

Scoring shots this year

28 v NM - Wood plays
23 v Geel - Wood plays
22 v Ess - Wood out
22 v Rich - Wood out
19 v GWS - Wood out
19 v WB - Wood out
17 v PA - Wood out
That's a beauty there TP.

I'm sure people don't under estimate the effect that Mason out of the side has on team structure and results.

And I thought I ate stats for breakfast....you have them for breakfast.....lunch and dinner.

Bonner's overall DE is usually high. But yeah he's had some bad clangers that have resulted in easy turnover goals. But you can add Nas, Stocker & Webster to that list as well as Sincs when he first came back. And the knock I have on Stocker is that he is too slow to handle the premier small forwards. We need to add a small backman to the list for next season.
oh, also add Hill turning it over on 2 occasions, on Saturday which gave north 2 goals.

That's a beauty there TP.

I'm sure people don't under estimate the effect that Mason out of the side has on team structure and results.

And I thought I ate stats for breakfast....you have them for breakfast.....lunch and dinner.
Wood and Hayes just change the way the whole team looks. I especially think Henry, Hill and NAS will THRIVE with Wood in that team. He sets up and runs so hard defensively that they can coast a little and be that outlet for the turnover. Weve played that split wing structure for a while and Wood is arguably the best in the game at it.

Hayes giving Roma the chop out and being a proper old school leading forward. I ******* love Big Hayesy and im so glad to see he hasnt lost his instinct. I think if Coops or Camma gets back in and we have King, Hayes/Roma and Camma/Coops getting a third tall the spread on oppo defense will be a sight. Throw in Butler, Snags, Collard etc and all of a sudden that forward 50 is potent across the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back