Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

might want to go read this thread and see how many north posters are just there to rag on us
That thread basically is St Kilda fans going "told you so" when we win and opposition supporters taking thin swipes when we lose.

Disagree.

The AFL need us for their derision aspect, that underdog chance angle, the hard luck story as without us what do they have? Bog average meets "those with silver spoons up their arses"? How riveting... we're the most relevant club in the AFL, right up there with the "I have 47 flags, look at moi" options, as ying needs the yang to find balance.

Yep. It literally takes 150 years to get as unsuccessful as us at the pointy end. Not an easy feat by any stretch.

Our history might not be precious, but it still sparkles.

I’d prefer they if the afl have to give teams a leg up they do a couple of years of extra salary cap to help attract a player or two rather than compromise the draft.

Yeah I reckon if you finish closer to the bottom then you should get extra salary cap or list spots or both. More shots at getting a good player.

I’d prefer they if the afl have to give teams a leg up they do a couple of years of extra salary cap to help attract a player or two rather than compromise the draft.

And once they started compromising it they just couldn't stop. Like a kid in a candy $tore!

The Draft should have some core tenets locked away in a Constitution of sorts, which forbids the AFL from tampering with it. One could be, the first 30 picks being sacrosanct, and they should be given out in linear numerical order, with the team that finished last getting pick 1, next team pick 2, et cetera - there should be no other systems which disrupt this core element of fairness which was taken from the game. Traded picks aside, all the other rubbish should be removed from the top 30.

The Draft shouldn't be a play-thing for the corporate group-think nufties currently ruining the state of the game. It needs to be reformed and taken out of their hands, codified if you like, and reborn as something which upholds principles and traditions, rather than a tool for said nufties to exert undue influence of the direction of the competition, based on their capatalistic and/or expansion needs.

I don’t know how important this is, but I note that whilst North has few fans, there maybe some rich ones among them. The club is completely debt free.

St Kilda?
I think we are number one on the ‘old welfare’ list.

Expansion clubs can of course ‘expand’.

St Kilda know their place.

I don’t know how important this is, but I note that whilst North has few fans, there maybe some rich ones among them. The club is completely debt free.

St Kilda?
I think we are number one on the ‘old welfare’ list.

Expansion clubs can of course ‘expand’.

St Kilda know their place.

Half of our debt is about $6M that we turned into a $50M facility.
Norths training facility is mostly pretty run down, and the just completed addition is small and cheap.
They have no debt but they'd swap facilities with us any day.
And, yesterday afternoon I walked my dog on their oval while Larkie practiced high marking. It's local footy stuff. I reckon it's going to be very difficult to retain ambitious players there.

One day soon we'll be debt free through expanding the scope of our business. They're debt free by contracting their business.
Totally different models and different long term outcomes.

Norths training facility is mostly pretty run down, and the just completed addition is small and cheap.
And, yesterday afternoon I walked my dog on their oval while Larkie practiced high marking. It's local footy stuff. I reckon it's going to be very difficult to retain ambitious players there.

One day soon we'll be debt free through expanding the scope of our business. They're debt free by contracting their business.

They also have about half of what literally any other club generates monetarily as the most clearly struggling club cash flow wise. But hey, they're debt free and a random EDFL club have almost as much cash as them...

Is kind of why Summers+Finnis was a great time for us admin wise. Have set us up beautifully to really branch out and grow. Meanwhile Norths can be summed up as "no, no we won't go" and they sit here with half of everything asking why us?

Yeah footy fans worry too much about debt imo.

Norf. The only place where your local dog park is more desirable than the AFL facilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said earlier that Eddie McQuire and his mates wanted to shaft North Melbourne in this thread. Now I realise he was reporting that other presidents wanna cut the number of Melbourne clubs. I was wrong in the sense that Eddie isn’t going after North. Sorry Eddie! But please, when you say it like that, be careful nobody could assume you are after them! But my bad. Brayshaw said Eddie doesn’t wanna kill North . Fair enough .. my bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back