Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to the game today. Might be my only one for the year.

The good
  • Wilson, jet, workrate is absolutely bonkers
  • wood and hayes, make us structurally so much better. They present at the footy and demand it, THANK YOU BOYS
  • Sincs started poorly but finished like a freight train
  • Hill and Nas linking up is joyous to watch
  • Dougal was good, didn’t do his usual dumb s**t
  • win is a win and we cleared 100 points

The bad
  • King. Does no work without the ball. Sooks it up and strops around like a toddler. Corr gave him a bath today… Corr… Jack Hayes showed King up today back off a long layoff
  • Our forward handball obsession is hurting us. It takes too much effort and too many numbers so when we eventually * it up we’re exposed.
North weren’t good enough to take advantage today but it was tough to watch live
  • Pou needs a spell, today should have been a big game with a third rate defender and he couldn’t get near it
  • our defence was a bit sloppy today. I don’t know exactly what it was but North had a lot of time and space in their 50. Larkey had a mare and they still managed to get a lot of shots from * all inside 50s

Other stuff
  • Hastie tries his ass off. It’s great to see players who really really care
  • Seb Ross has been down on form but looked good today. Very composed
  • Imo Roma got beaten by Xerri (who plays very similarly).
  • Clearance stats suprised me, being there it seemed like they smashed us around clearance
  • anyone saying they looked good is kidding themselves, they looked awful. Wardlaw had patches, Combden looks a player but for the most part it was a low quality game of footy.
Steele, Ross and Windhager are being used as tags and this means they are reactive at stoppages as they need to watch their opponent. It’s difficult to be proactive when your primary role is to tag.
The inclusion of Sinclair means he can now be the proactive midfielder supported by Steele, Ross and Windhager.
Once Hunter Clark returns along with Dow the role of our midfielders will alter.
Our priority will then shift to how our forwards can function efficiently. I think King is our biggest concern because he needs to be a power forward rather than getting involved in pushing and shoving.
Hopefully he can develop into the power forward we need.

it was worse at the preview title

Sadly we don't play them again this season, however I have on file for next time;

Saints v AFL WAG's.
Saints v Rubber Chicken lovers.
Saints v Not quite Footscray.
Saints v Not Royal Park.
Saints v Collection of foot fetish people.

I'll be accepting other options as they come.

oh well, looking at their fixture they are staring down the barrel of another 2-3 win season tops. Given Eagles improvement it's possibly 1.
Hope Harley Reid puts up a 30 touch 4 goal performance against them to really rub their faces in that one extra win they got last year.

Steele, Ross and Windhager are being used as tags and this means they are reactive at stoppages as they need to watch their opponent. It’s difficult to be proactive when your primary role is to tag.
The inclusion of Sinclair means he can now be the proactive midfielder supported by Steele, Ross and Windhager.
Once Hunter Clark returns along with Dow the role of our midfielders will alter.
Our priority will then shift to how our forwards can function efficiently. I think King is our biggest concern because he needs to be a power forward rather than getting involved in pushing and shoving.
Hopefully he can develop into the power forward we need.
I dont think thats true. Ive seen this suggested a few times and theres really nothing to support it (other than those 3 guys have all done negating roles in the past).

If it is the case then i dont think theyre doing it well at all. McKercher had 30 on the weekend, Sheezel 24, Wardlaw 22.

Port game was similar etc etc.

I suspect Ross is tinkering with midfield structure (which im not against because we used to just have 4 blokes going to the ball). Short term pain sort of deal.

Not sure of any specific instruction. But it's interesting to see such a limited number of CBA mids on the weekend (it was essentially only Steele, Sinclair, Ross and Windy).
i'd assume since it was a must win game they put their best (2 all australians) and most experienced (ross) in there along with Windy who is the next best performing. could not afford to stuff around with experimentation at all you'd think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cannot rely on only 4 mids week in and out, and conclusion of Clark and Dow going forward will share the workload and responsibility needed.
Were paper thin on depth for mids too.

Henry, Dow, Crouch all out.

Higgins being out means the part timers cant go in as much either (Butler, Owens, Wilson etc).

And we were told off for using 'norf' and 'filth'

Roll eyes emoji

1fce05a865f05fe897a2a5fdb305fb15.jpg

They are a special bunch

He did everything he could imo to avoid contact and then sensibly braced to protect himself. If we’re now going to punish that then we can kiss football as we know it goodbye.

It's already a charge if you brace and hit a prone player in the head. We punish accidental contact.

Wood and Hayes just change the way the whole team looks. I especially think Henry, Hill and NAS will THRIVE with Wood in that team. He sets up and runs so hard defensively that they can coast a little and be that outlet for the turnover. Weve played that split wing structure for a while and Wood is arguably the best in the game at it.

Hayes giving Roma the chop out and being a proper old school leading forward. I ******* love Big Hayesy and im so glad to see he hasnt lost his instinct. I think if Coops or Camma gets back in and we have King, Hayes/Roma and Camma/Coops getting a third tall the spread on oppo defense will be a sight. Throw in Butler, Snags, Collard etc and all of a sudden that forward 50 is potent across the board.

We have good pieces in the forward line but have never had it working well. We are probably a dangerous small forward away from a being a very good forward structure but it's an underachiever at the moment.

Collard looks like the exact player that we are missing. If he comes on we could look really dangerous inside 50.

Compare Reid's numbers to McKercher's.

I rate McKercher. Reckon he'll be a star. Harley Reid is probably getting over hyped at the moment but when he goes well he looks like he's got real big dick energy. He looks like a real alpha type who will carry his side on his back. Don't think McKercher is that but he looks set to become one of the better mids in the comp if he keeps going to potential. North have some good kids now, just got to make something out of it or they'll all leave.

We have good pieces in the forward line but have never had it working well. We are probably a dangerous small forward away from a being a very good forward structure but it's an underachiever at the moment.

Collard looks like the exact player that we are missing. If he comes on we could look really dangerous inside 50.
Butler was pretty dangerous but has fallen off a cliff to a degree. I hope we see some of Collard this year, seems a real 3 touch 2 goal sort of operator.

Weve all been in furious agreement for ages that King needs a foil to help him not cop a double team every week, Hayes looks perfect for that, leads hard and drags defenders with him.

Must admit, I sat next to a grumpy old Norf supporter on Saturday. He got a bit lippy at one point towards me in the last quarter, I guess that was a mistake on his behalf based on the amount of rubbish (and the ease of which) you can (I did) throw at that club. They aren't the brightest those old Norf supporters, you'd think they'd be a bit more humble when they are constantly down by a minimum 5 goals.
Such an angry supporter base in general.

Such an angry supporter base in general.
Old bloke in a woolen VFL logoed get up sitting behind me. To his credit he was eternally optimistic about the game but hated everything else. Umpires were biased, every saint was a dirty sniper etc etc.

Ive tried to find other stuff to enjoy going to the footy cause were not much chop but not the north boys, no sir, they wallow in that misery.

I reckon the argument against Seb is an opportunity cost argument. He does ok in the midfield but could someone else do better? He doesn't get a lot of clearances, doesn't generally have a huge amount of impact, kicking inside 50 isn't great. In the absence of someone else to play that role then he's fine, but if there's someone else with more impact then we'd be a better side.

I don't believe we have any healthy midfield players to take his spot.

He braced and Darcy stayed open. Wardlaw was lucky that he didn't get the head or he would have been out for weeks. Most of those type of hits are no different but if you bump you roll the dice.

What i don't like is when players are tackled, ( especially by StKilda players ) the umps won't blow the whistle until they are literally thrown to the ground, even if they've already spun 720 degrees without getting rid of it.
Surely that increases the risk of accidental injury?

Should Slater and Gordon be speaking to the Umpires or the AFL?

Couldn't help thinking that Clarkson is drilling them in thuggery.
Check out 3:24 player already has the mark and cops a pretty solid wack in the kidneys.
check out the "arm work" on 3:58. ( we got the goal but it should have been from the line ).
4:17 is push in the back still a thing?
4:39 Hill copped it in the neck.
5:03 king getting his neck and face scragged. Was that a karate chop to the neck on the way down?
6:02 webster gets a head high shoulder , then the arm swings round and collects him with the elbow.

Is it Clarkson? or is it some brain dead shinboner thing?

Maybe i've got rose coloured glasses but i don't see the Saints being so dirty in the highlights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back