Autopsy Round 5, 2024: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree. Playing in front is seldom the wrong option.
Looked like GWS hbfs and bps were zoning off their opponents because they knew the dump kick was on the cards. With some composure out of the centre those hfs and fps should be hit up.

We played a very poor team defensive game in the first half against GWS and they got the loose ball too easy around stoppages. Our forward line is too slow basically, and once the ball hits the deck it's gone.

You just have to flash the cash.

Which is what it sounds like is going to happen.

Put massive $$$ infront of LDU Mcluggage etc and if their clubs match. Reduces what they can do themselves.

Our club seems to believe they will shake players loose one way or the other.
LDU would be a huge get. I thought it was all just speculation and media hearsay/gossip about our supposed war chest (which we've all heard before in another incarnation)...but if true, and the offers are already being put in, then great.

LDU would be a huge get. I thought it was all just speculation and media hearsay/gossip about our supposed war chest (which we've all heard before in another incarnation)...but if true, and the offers are already being put in, then great.
At what cost? If he is a FA then go for it but if we have to trade for him then it's a firm no from me. North would want 2 FRDP's.

Put massive $$$ infront of LDU Mcluggage etc and if their clubs match. Reduces what they can do themselves.

Do you?

Didn't we try that a few years ago with various stars of the game (Kelly, Dusty, etc) and as recently as JDG last off season? All we saw out of flashing the cash was a banged up Hanneberry and Brad Hill.

I get that a good side effect of doing that is destabilising other clubs, but I remain deeply sceptical we'll get the likes of McLuggage or LDU coming across, however much their managers/families might want them to.

Have a look at where they get their young blokes, where in the draft the older heads they play with were selected.
It's a totally different list profile. Impossible for any other club in the league to have.
How many rookie selections did they roll out today (a risky question as I have no idea haha)?

They have a number of top picks. No doubt about it. And their admin have made some amazing trades that have continued to strengthen their draft hand.

They also have a number that played on the weekend who weren't as high.

And to answer your question. Yes they have rookies. 3 of them played on Saturday. Peatling, Wehr and Brown.

Do you?

Didn't we try that a few years ago with various stars of the game (Kelly, Dusty, etc) and as recently as JDG last off season? All we saw out of flashing the cash was a banged up Hanneberry and Brad Hill.

I get that a good side effect of doing that is destabilising other clubs, but I remain deeply sceptical we'll get the likes of McLuggage or LDU coming across, however much their managers/families might want them to.

Yeah I get the feeling that holding on to hope that we manage to wriggle free one of the free agents needs a bit of patience.

How many big big players have moved to non competing teams - eg not in the window yet?

We've been here before and then been burnt and ended up paying the likes of Gresh, Billings and Dunstan too much. Need to be very careful also not to take the eye off our own kids. Any word on Pou?

We are all disappointed after frustrating losses but when you stand back and look at the talent coming through the club at present, it is the first time in years where we can look at all the new players on the list and believe they will become very good players. The article is exactly right the Saints have found another ripper Garcia and add him to Nas, Windhager, Owens, Phillipou, Wilson, Hastie, Collard and the kids that haven't even debuted like Shoenmaker, JVE, Keeler, McLennan & Hotton then that's the core of our side in 10 years time.

We mighten be winning the tight ones at present, but the future is bright Sainters!

Doomed to failure if they are relying on massive cash to be THE reason why a good player chooses us.

There are many stars who have swapped to another clubs where that club was not the top $$$ suitor.

I believe it needs to the "the other". Good money will of course help, but for us to land a genuine gun the club is going to have to be creative in some way.

SOS and team need to sift through the possibles and try and find an edge with one or more of them that we can provide that others cannot.

The Cats for example offered Cameron just not good coin, but the lifestyle that was attractive to him.

With Henry I believe the indigenous environment hat the Saints have actively cultivated, and Lyon as coach were central to us being able to land him.

Last edited:
We are all disappointed after frustrating losses but when you stand back and look at the talent coming through the club at present, it is the first time in years where we can look at all the new players on the list and believe they will become very good players. The article is exactly right the Saints have found another ripper Garcia and add him to Nas, Windhager, Owens, Phillipou, Wilson, Hastie, Collard and the kids that haven't even debuted like Shoenmaker, JVE, Keeler, McLennan & Hotton then that's the core of our side in 10 years time.

We mighten be winning the tight ones at present, but the future is bright Sainters!
I’ll give you the names above these, but there’s no way we can have any confidence at this stage that these (bold) are going to be anything special. It’s still a wait and see, although Schoenmaker appears to be getting a few trackwatchers a good vibe.

I’ll give you the names above these, but there’s no way we can have any confidence at this stage that these (bold) are going to be anything special. It’s still a wait and see, although Schoenmaker appears to be getting a few trackwatchers a good vibe.

Stop being a kill joy - they don't have to be special they just need to become AFL footballers. The only two I'm not completely sold on is Hotton, and JVE but they could get there also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what cost? If he is a FA then go for it but if we have to trade for him then it's a firm no from me. North would want 2 FRDP's.
I'm 12000+km away, so a bit removed from the footy bubble of Melbourne and where opposition players are with regards to their contract status. That's why I'm still on this forum...but I agree, 2 first rounders is a big No (I doubt we would even be able to rummage that up anyway...even with shedding a couple of our own players)
I'm keen on getting as many kids through via the draft, before we get smashed by Tasmania coming into the comp. Even with trading I'd be looking at 19-23 year olds from other clubs (GWS, GC, Sydney in particular) I don't want anyone over 25 unless they are an absolute weapon, coming into the club.

Do you?

Kelly and JDG were close.

De Goey himself said he was a saint at one point and at the last moment the pies stumped up more money.

I'm 12000+km away, so a bit removed from the footy bubble of Melbourne and where opposition players are with regards to their contract status. That's why I'm still on this forum...but I agree, 2 first rounders is a big No (I doubt we would even be able to rummage that up anyway...even with shedding a couple of our own players)
I'm keen on getting as many kids through via the draft, before we get smashed by Tasmania coming into the comp. Even with trading I'd be looking at 19-23 year olds from other clubs (GWS, GC, Sydney in particular) I don't want anyone over 25 unless they are an absolute weapon, coming into the club.
LDU is out of contract… NEXT YEAR.

It would cost 1 first rounder. But if they finish bottom again - then surely they take the compo

Doomed to failure if they are relying on massive cash to be THE reason why a good player chooses us.

There are many starts who have swapped to another clib, where that club was not the top $$$ suitor.

I believe it needs to the "the other". Good money will of course help, but for us to land a genuine gun the club is going to have to be creative in some way.

SOS and team need to sift through the possibles and try and find an edge with one or more of them that we can provide that others cannot.

The Cats for example offered Cameron just not good coin, but the lifestyle that was attractive to him.

With Henry I believe the indigenous environment hat the Saints have actively cultivated, and Lyon as coach were central to us being able to land him.
There are reasons players move to other clubs , coaches they have had before , players who they have played with before , location to family , future work opportunities , total change of scenery , money.

It's up to the club to entice players - we all know the Cats use Cotton on to get work for players family members or even get contracts for modelling like they are trying with Smith.

Didn't know that.
This is from an article where he paints a similar picture.

“Freshly re-signed Collingwood midfielder Jordan De Goey has said he “always wanted to stay at the Pies”, but admitted he seriously considered an offer from St Kilda.”

St Kilda came hard at De Goey in a bid to lure him to Moorabbin, offering him a long-term deal and pushing for the former pick No.5 to make a move.

While he ultimately rejected the Saints, De Goey admitted there was plenty of consideration given to the idea.

“We had a lot of interviews, meetings, kind of did all the due protocols I guess just to try and get the best understanding of what it would be like if I went there,” he said.”

Stop being a kill joy - they don't have to be special they just need to become AFL footballers. The only two I'm not completely sold on is Hotton, and JVE but they could get there also.
Not being a killjoy.
Just being realistic. I hope they all pan out but based on history, at every club they won’t all make it.

And sorry to disagree, but we don’t just need footballers, we need “special.”

Not being a killjoy.
Just being realistic. I hope they all pan out but based on history, at every club they won’t all make it.

And sorry to disagree, but we don’t just need footballers, we need “special.”

Not every player is a star, you also need foot soldiers to win flags.

Do you?

It really doesn't matter. We've put the blood in the water now and all that's needed is that we don't pull in a flathead instead of a shark.
We're highly unlikely to attract the right sort unless we look like a contender first. Right now that ain't happening but we'll see what the back half of the year looks like.

I'd pay 2 x1stRDP for LDU in a heartbeat but you'd want just a little something back. He seems a little off his tucker this year but his best is right up there and exactly what we need. It wouldn't happen till next year anyway but so much the better ATM.
The draft alone won't do it for us. That's an unfortunate reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back