Autopsy Round 4, 2024: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I was really happy with the game. In the 1st q we couldn't do a thing right and the Tigers couldn't do a thing wrong. In the second we got on top around the ground but couldn't score. The fact that we won means that our leaders gave leadership, we didn't go into our shell and our kids made solid contributions. That's what we want. Hats off to Josh Battle - great game all day.

One that has already invested in irrational amount of time watching this club disappoint the last 13 years.

Been to every game this year before this one, but have better things to do then watch that. Would rather spend time with the kids and cut my losses if we serve up a first half like yesterday. Our skills are just unwatchable.

As for the rest of the post, not nonsense at all. We have been poor this year, outside of beating a horribly out of form Pies who almost just lost to Hawks.

If we don't get it together quick the season will slip away fast. Sincerely doubt we are good enough to do a Carlton or Sydney of last year, who have a way more talented last list than us.

If we plan on doing anything this year, major form reversal has to happen ASAP.
Everyone reacts differently... For me, turning off the tele because we are playing poorly & getting smashed isn't the way I go about it. Sometimes I pace around the house a bit swearing.

I've been following The Saints for 60 years so I've had more than my share of disappointment from them but I always stay loyal & watch to the bitter end, even when we are sh1t

The notion that a supporter only supports when things are travelling well, well, reminds me a of Man U supporters. As you say... you have gone to every game this year.. That in itself tells us a lot about you as a supporter that wasn't there in your original post.

Some of the posters in here know each other personally from going to games... I don't know you on here as I don't post a lot as you can see from my stats...

I get to Metricon when we play at the Gold Coast as I live in Lismore & it's only a couple of hours away. I'm an on/off financial club member as most of the time I'm just too poor to join.

What I'm saying basically we support in different ways... switching off offends me but each to their own, if that is how you cope, who am I to judge really... So I'm sorry to be so judgemental.

If one is unhappy for so long at so many things, I can only come to the conclusion that the unhappiness is desired whether consciously or subconsciously.

A couple of years ago I found myself regularly getting mad in an out of control way at the footy, then I decided not to. Yesterday our defence kept us in it, then in the third quarter we played all the best football in the match not directly attributable to Shai Bolton.

I'm not pinning any hopes on Paddy Dow BTW. I hope wins a Brownlow at St Kilda, but I have no expectation of him.

TL;DR: try deciding not to be unhappy about something you have no control over. And Go Saints.
Having kids helped me. I had to stop letting the game ruin my weekends. I was still frustrated by that first half yesterday, but I can just put it in perspective these days.

My thoughts on the game:
  • I'm a big Jones fan, but I thought he was horrid, especially in the first half. Flat footed, tackling like he had lettuce for arms, etc.
  • Of course, Jones is carrying a big load with a few others because of our weak midfield. Last year, most of our injuries were forward. This year, they're midfielders (Dow, Clark, Wood, Crouch, Windhager (susp.) and Henry). Will be great to get Windy back!!
  • Seemed obvious in advance that we would need to adjust our game to be more contested, and we'd played at a similar ground three weeks ago, so I was disappointed in our first half from that point of view. We were not coming up to the contest, and just not cracking in.
  • I thought Cordy was our best defender to three quarter time. So clean and composed!
  • Six goals between Bolton and M Rioli -having Jimmy out, and Paton being out at the same time, is really bad for us. We lack a small lockdown defender. Stocker tries, but it's not really his go. I think our defensive unit is actually TOO attacking at the moment.
  • Hastie getting so little time on ground confirms to me that we see him as the most ready of a bunch of players who are not yet ready to play AFL. Hence using him almost as the medi sub.
Also, I had a look around on the internet but couldn't find it - my recollection is that when we drafted Ben Long at #25 in 2016, Richo said the next day "I told my recruiting team to go out and find our Cyril Rioli, and I think we've got him". Meanwhile Richmond takes Shai Bolton four picks later. Is my recollection about that correct?

My memory of us not drafting Shai Bolton is quite similar. Recall seeing him tear up Sandy the next year and just smh.

That's what we get for overthinking, I assume we evaluated Shai as a flight risk and thought that Ben Long's surname would be a guarantee of talent.

I liked Longy a lot, but his surname was as close as he got. The Tigers did very well to get Shai on board in the long term.

I think Sharman is the type of player who when he truly believes he belongs, will become a very good player.

I reckon he was one who got going to get us back in the game.

Having grown up in the Southern Riverina (NSW) went to School in Melbourne (Xavier) Uni in Adelaide, Lived in Adelaide, Raised a family in the Adelaide Hills, and Tasmania, And now having a partner in Melbourne, South Australia is a great place to live, Putrid state it is not, and Norwood oval was a great place to watch the game, Richmond had the same conditions to deal with. and I watched them beat the swans at the MCG last Sunday.

Yes love SA. I am still here enjoying it and spending money. So far mainly in the McLaren Vale. Six weeks ago I was in the Coonawarra.

Most likely I will come again in 2025 IF I CAN GET A TICKET, and that is one reason why Norwood is not a good option. It is tiny. Many St Kilda and Tiger's fans who wanted tickets missed out . All those extra fans not coming is also less money for South Australians .

Football wise it is as I have stated substandard. Spectator wise too. Also for those watching on TV it makes for substandard viewing too as the game is negatively affected.

Is Norwood Oval really the second best stadium for AFL Footy in Adelaide?

Good start, but personally I would love to see Gather Round get better.

Haven’t read the thread so apologies if it’s been mentioned. I know once we get some experience back from a long injury list it will change but can we please stop using 1st/2nd gamers as the sub? Hastie been burnt 2 games in a row to come on in a tight contest late in the game and Collard the same against the cats. Both have had zero impact. They’ve tallied a total of 4 possessions from 3 games.
Are we better off not using it at all?

But what choice at present do the selectors have?

This weekend, and our last game too, we had no experienced players apart from TC as basically anyone with more games was injured or suspended.

Hayes with a massive 6 games was underdone.

That only leaves TC, and you do not want him to be the sub.

That's what we get for overthinking, I assume we evaluated Shai as a flight risk and thought that Ben Long's surname would be a guarantee of talent.

I liked Longy a lot, but his surname was as close as he got. The Tigers did very well to get Shai on board in the long term.
Long had just kicked 5 for the Dogs ressies GF win and we thought he would be what Bolton has become.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over training?

My BS meter is red lining
I remember an interview with Lyon last year where he said his biggest management issue with the Pou was trying to hold him back because he always wanted to do too much at training. You might need to recalibrate your BS meter!

Please guys, Pou is 19. It seems unless a players isn't a Cripps or Bont within 10 games as a teenager they are on the scrapheap.
Let the kid mature and develop without undue expectations.
How's Tsatsas, Humphrey, McKenzie, Clark and Gibney going in comparison ( used Tsatsis as that pick 5 shaped the next 5).

Would say Pou has done as well as any on that list and is younger than all of them.

As for Owens being quiet. We may have a problem where he overtrained preseason.

Because of his overtraining, he was put on laps for about 3 week. Sounds strange however I have heard of players overtraining leading to them.not being in peak playing fitness.
May have happened to chito. Caused an interruption to his preseason training loads and build up.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
On Sunday his GPS data showed he ran 15kms - more than anyone one the park - give him a full time midfield role and he will excel - playing a set role as a attacking / defensive half forward is not that easy but amazing he still averaging 9 contested possessions a game.
Compare him him to what Butler or Membery did and it's chalk and cheese.
We spent a decade rebuilding out of finals and utterly irrevevant... and this is what we have to show for it?

Mason wood is a devastating loss to our best 22.

Mason Wood.

We are pinning our midfield hopes on Paddy Dow.

Paddy Dow

State Of The Union Republican Response GIF by PBS NewsHour
Not quite , kids like Phillipou , Owens , Windhager , Nas , King , Wilson , Henry , Keller are our future - players like Wood are role players that are critical for team structure and Dow is a bonus for our midfield rotations if he gets a game.

let that sink in

We need to get Jones match fit, he's barely seeing 50% game time atm and his ability to pressure and harass is at an all time low.

When he has the ball though he's doing something for us.

I feel like Jones is middling between roles and doing neither well. I think we want him to be a big bodied extractor first, and when he can add some burst through the middle on rebound and offense.

Maybe unfairly, but I feel like he’s deferring to Steele in the middle when he just needs to crack in. This is where Windhager elevates because he wants to be first man to the ball everytime, and his energy in the middle means Steele gets a regular chop out.

Again, maybe unfairly, but I feel like his age is showing both in terms of his ability to physically impose himself and his ability to play quick up tempo football. Compounded by his disposal by foot being a bit meh.

I hope he proves me wrong because there is no reason why Jones can’t play like Harley Reid. Get hands to the ball, stay on his feet shrug through the hips and either use his acceleration to burst and deliver or fire off the creative handball.

Who said practice does not help?

I watched Owens practice his goalkicking in the pre-game warm up.

Three shots from the exact spot where he in the last quarter had the chance to ice the game.

In the warmup his first two shots shanked to the right. Behinds. The third shanked to the left. Behind.

Come Ice Time...he makes the right call and handballs to the running Bonner to take the shot instead ;)

Last edited:
Who said practice does not help?

I watched Owens practice his goalkicking in the pre-game warm up.

Three shots from the exact spot where he in the last quarter had the chance to ice the game.

In the warmup his first two shots shanked to the right. Behinds. The third shanked to the left. Behind.

Come Ice Time...he makes the right call and handballs to the running Bonner take the shot instead ;)

Hahaha. Quality gag.

Did Owens do a job on Vlaustin?

Pou's start to the season hasn't been great. He seems very fumbly which is surprising as he was one of the standouts during pre-season.

I wonder whether negotiating his new contract or whether he is in two-minds about re-signing is weighing on his mind?
his manager would be doing everything. not him

My thoughts on the game:
  • I'm a big Jones fan, but I thought he was horrid, especially in the first half. Flat footed, tackling like he had lettuce for arms, etc.
  • Of course, Jones is carrying a big load with a few others because of our weak midfield. Last year, most of our injuries were forward. This year, they're midfielders (Dow, Clark, Wood, Crouch, Windhager (susp.) and Henry). Will be great to get Windy back!!
  • Seemed obvious in advance that we would need to adjust our game to be more contested, and we'd played at a similar ground three weeks ago, so I was disappointed in our first half from that point of view. We were not coming up to the contest, and just not cracking in.
  • I thought Cordy was our best defender to three quarter time. So clean and composed!
  • Six goals between Bolton and M Rioli -having Jimmy out, and Paton being out at the same time, is really bad for us. We lack a small lockdown defender. Stocker tries, but it's not really his go. I think our defensive unit is actually TOO attacking at the moment.
  • Hastie getting so little time on ground confirms to me that we see him as the most ready of a bunch of players who are not yet ready to play AFL. Hence using him almost as the medi sub.
Also, I had a look around on the internet but couldn't find it - my recollection is that when we drafted Ben Long at #25 in 2016, Richo said the next day "I told my recruiting team to go out and find our Cyril Rioli, and I think we've got him". Meanwhile Richmond takes Shai Bolton four picks later. Is my recollection about that correct?
Yes, i believe your recollection re Long and Bolton is correct.

Wilson has been good but he’s had a lot of “scared of contact” moments so far. At some point he might need some midfield time in the VFL so he doesn’t spend all his time marking the ball in 20m of space while he’s developing.
Geezus we are harsh
Kids been superb
Not a mid yet - he’s a runner
So they get him to space to use his tank
Killed a Tigers goal with an awesome tackle when it mattered
Fumbled in front of goal STILL had the smarts to clear the footy from danger area
Don’t think Wilson our issue
Philipou?

Honestly I'll be pretty happy once we've moved past Jones. He had some good moments late in the game but to my eyes he is a front runner who jogs way too much defensively. Saw it with Bonner too, when we couldn't do a damn thing right early both had chances to really chase and tackle but just kind of sauntered instead. Very pick and choose when it comes to impacting the game.

Contrast with someone like Battle who is not quick but when when get caught out on turnover he always sticks the head down and just runs his heart out even if the chances of him affecting the play are slim.

Honestly I'll be pretty happy once we've moved past Jones. He had some good moments late in the game but to my eyes he is a front runner who jogs way too much defensively. Saw it with Bonner too, when we couldn't do a damn thing right early both had chances to really chase and tackle but just kind of sauntered instead. Very pick and choose when it comes to impacting the game.

Contrast with someone like Battle who is not quick but when when get caught out on turnover he always sticks the head down and just runs his heart out even if the chances of him affecting the play are slim.
I reckon Jones is getting comfortable with his body again. At full fitness he is such an important weapon for us with his explosiveness & grunt. Add Dow & they're could be happy times ahead in the midfield.

I feel like Jones is middling between roles and doing neither well. I think we want him to be a big bodied extractor first, and when he can add some burst through the middle on rebound and offense.

Maybe unfairly, but I feel like he’s deferring to Steele in the middle when he just needs to crack in. This is where Windhager elevates because he wants to be first man to the ball everytime, and his energy in the middle means Steele gets a regular chop out.

Again, maybe unfairly, but I feel like his age is showing both in terms of his ability to physically impose himself and his ability to play quick up tempo football. Compounded by his disposal by foot being a bit meh.

I hope he proves me wrong because there is no reason why Jones can’t play like Harley Reid. Get hands to the ball, stay on his feet shrug through the hips and either use his acceleration to burst and deliver or fire off the creative handball.
Looks a lot like he's playing within himself ATM, which is understandable given his history. I'm just glad he's not injured right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back