Preview Round 7 Changes/preview v North

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:

That we were able to come back from 4 goals down and then grind out a win.

Gawn back but he was a bit rusty.

Took both my nieces to the footy, the older one jumped on the Tigers bandwagon at some point circa 2018. My other neice is a Melbourne supporter. She is turning 10 this year and it's the first time she has been to the men's footy. She had a good time and rubbed it in to her sister. Bar 94 and 98 my childhood memories of the footy were pretty grim. For example when I was her age Melbourne lost to Geelong by 20 goals Ablett kicking 10. So I'm glad her experiences will be much better than mine. My other neice will now have to experiences supporting a s**t team after having it good as a kid, but that's life supporting a footy team plus they will never get Melbourne s**t circa 2013.

I can't think of too many more goods even though we won.

Bad: skills were atrocious at times, just shows you statistics can be deceiving. Pretty sure disposal efficiently was something like 80% yet my peepers were telling me a different story. Richmond were poor too but at least looked competent with finding targets inside 50. We can't rely on Gawn or jvr taking pack marks all the time.

Train line was down for some reason so had to walk about 3k to then end up catching an uber. Not sure that servicing the tracks on a footy night is a good idea if that was the case.

I don't think Rivers was injured was he? I didn't see any injury. He had a mild cramp right before he got subbed but he was running fine. I think the turnover was just the nail in his coffin after a terrible game from start to finish. 1 kick, 3 handballs, 0 marks, 0 tackles in the first half was unforgivable. He also went soft in a contest in the middle of the ground with Marlion Pickett where they both waited for each other to pick up the ball.
Bit of the “right in front of me”s but it was a really bad cramp, he was limping before the kick, then after could barely walk. If we could rotate him it’d be a good move, he was out on his feet.

No changes. Force Spargo, Harmes to play well at VFL level. Put the onus on Rivers, Jordan and Bowey to lift a bit. Just stick with it.
Spargo is an auto in if fit. One of the best users in the comp in and around F50. We are a team desperate for decent ball users and you want him to force his way back in? He's clear best 22 if fit.

Turner into the backline. Sparrow out.

Rivers and Kosi into the midfield.

Would be fine with Jordon out for Harmes or Spargo but that’s just fiddling.

Leave the rest as they are but Petty is wearing pretty thin.

Petty to the backline & Schache in for someone (don't particularly care).

JVR needs better support and Petty needs to go back and be a defender. He isn't a forward.

I don't want T-Mac or BBB back in until they actually earn it through the VFL.
Good call. Had totally forgotten about Shaq given he didn't play VFL. Agree with Petty back and Shaq in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't agree on the suggestions of sending Petty back. He was out of form in the first few rounds down back and just starting to find his groove in the forward line now. He won't randomly start dominating if we change his position yet again.

I don't know where to look for the stat now but I think the distance tracker shown during the game had him behind only Langdon and Hunter for distance covered. He was doing a massive amount of work getting up the ground to provide an option and hit contests and I think that work is being undervalued in this changes thread.

Petty to the backline & Schache in for someone (don't particularly care).

JVR needs better support and Petty needs to go back and be a defender. He isn't a forward.

I don't want T-Mac or BBB back in until they actually earn it through the VFL.

Dont know what you think Scache will do over Petty.

Can't agree on the suggestions of sending Petty back. He was out of form in the first few rounds down back and just starting to find his groove in the forward line now. He won't randomly start dominating if we change his position yet again.

I don't know where to look for the stat now but I think the distance tracker shown during the game had him behind only Langdon and Hunter for distance covered. He was doing a massive amount of work getting up the ground to provide an option and hit contests and I think that work is being undervalued in this changes thread.

Petty was good last night imo... our tall forwards are on a hiding to nothing pretty much given we have some truly horrible kicks in our midfield. Took a couple of contested grabs and he competes so well defensively, that is his real advantage over the rest. None of the other options can tackle and put pressure on at all let alone to the standard that he does, he competes far better than the rest when out of position in a marking contest as well, thats the backman in him showing.

Last edited:
Brown has 2 qualities . Marking on the lead and kicking straight . Seeing as we bomb the ball far too often , he struggles . He had 4 shots on goal that i would expect him to nail , he missed them all . When the ball hit the deck he basically looked slower than a turtle . Whatever is going on with him based on the Casey game , he can't be picked .

Brown has 2 qualities . Marking on the lead and kicking straight . Seeing as we bomb the ball far too often , he struggles . He had 4 shots on goal that i would expect him to nail , he missed them all . When the ball hit the deck he basically looked slower than a turtle . Whatever is going on with him based on the Casey game , he can't be picked .
It was totally worth the tradeoff of him being useless when not marking when he could still get separation on the lead and jump a bit. He's just not a less than 100% player at all anymore. Back/knee whatever, he shouldn't be anywhere near consideration.

Considering the next few weeks should be wins for the team maybe some experimentation is in order to sort the list out for next year.....

I would like Laurie to take over Spargo's role until Spargo is good to come back. This means Pickett can come back into the midfield. It seemed that he was covering for Spargo in the Richmond game. This is more of a if Laurie is AFL level kind of thing.

I understand Goodwin has said Brown will not be back for this game, that said:-
I prefer Brown to come back more because he will take the number 1 defender. JVR struggled until Richmond moved Balta away from him in an attempt to win the game. I think JVR needs this year as the second or third tall (and yes I am primarly concerned with JVR getting the best run at development).

Petty is doing ok so no need for McDonald OR they try out Schache.

Dunstan/Harmes otherwise, I don't see the point of just having Dunstan as a backup to a backup. If you are performing you should be rewarded. Though I think Harmes is the in that will take place.

Players that could be looked at to make way Jordan/Bowey/McVee/Rivers/Sparrow/ANB are the only players I can think though I doubt Sparrow and ANB will be dropped..

I’d make zero changes tbh. Petty and JVR need to build chemistry, so do Gawn and Grundy with our mids.

Kozzy didn’t attend a single centre bounce on the weekend, Goody needs to get him into the game more.
Boweys on thin ice to me. He's positives aren't out weighing his obvious negative by much at the moment especially in a side struggling to defend.

Kozzy didn’t attend a single centre bounce on the weekend, Goody needs to get him into the game more.

Yep, talking about this in the other thread, baffling, seemed we were rotating him and Trac directly over the first few weeks then that all of sudden stopped this week, wonder why. Surely we can get Pickett in there for a few centre bounces instead of Sparrow and Jordon if Trac MUST be in there FFS, partriicuarly when hes having a dirty night up forward, just weird coaching from a weird man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back