Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

So we are executing poorly on game day, but it definitely has nothing to do with coaching? Got it.

GWS stopped because they thought the game was done, we were never in it. We were good against an out of form Pies. 1 good game in 7 weeks.

Some of our stoppage work tonight was comical. Regularly allow multiple Port players out the back with 20 metres of space.

We look like a disorganised rabble with no flair right now. Coaches have to wear that.
Oh I see
So when we are good it’s cause the opposition are crap/gave up
When we aren’t it’s Lyons fault?
You’re not a pies fan by chance??

Those on the tank and trade out players crowd.

Honestly , maybe in the late 90s early 2000s it worked but not anymore.

Our best young players atm

Owens
Windy
Wilson
NAS
Pou (I’ll add him in)
Taken

NAS and Wilson specifically taken mid first rd.

Our best other players are late picks.

Build a good culture keep developing take the picks we have. I guarantee by the time those lads get to 50 games and we start winning things will change.

I really dislike Howard, reckon he's got a poor attitude, A couple of times tonight he was looking for other players to blame. And OK,he may have big hands but that moment when he was holding the ball with one hand really incensed me. Reckon he is another Carlisle, only Paddy Ryder liked him,& I reckon Wilkie is the only one that likes Howard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was willing to give Steele an out last week when he was down as he’s being carrying us every week but geez tonight again he just looked so slow and he’s really lost that tackling edge.
Not sure if it’s a minor knee injury that was holding him back tonight.
Would be nice if the umpires picked up that he was being held off the ball all night, that really didn’t help.
Really need to bounce back next week Jack.
Poor bastard has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

*edit just checked and he had 9 tackles. Didn’t seem to have the same edge

I really dislike Howard, reckon he's got a poor attitude, A couple of times tonight he was looking for other players to blame. And OK,he may have big hands but that moment when he was holding the ball with one hand really incensed me. Reckon he is another Carlisle, only Paddy Ryder liked him,& I reckon Wilkie is the only one that likes Howard.
Carslile may have been unlikeable but he was way better than Howard. Every time he gets the ball in his hands I hold my breathe. Prime example tonight when he performed a blind handball over his head straight to a Port player who ran into an open goal. Cordy may not be the greatest player of all time but he seems like a decent bloke and knows his limitations with ball in hand.

If you told me at the start of the night we would lose by 10 points I would’ve taken it but let’s be honest we was never really in the contest even when we was in front.

but over handballs it, gives it to players that are hot, very frustrating

He’s playing within his capabilities which is smart, but frustrating for fans.

He’s probably feeling the pressure of bigger stronger bodies around him in critical phases of ball movement right now. Every now and then he tries to take on a tackle or shrug the initial contest but he doesn’t quite have the core strength to do that consistently. So he’s playing within himself.

Mark my words though, in time Phillipou will be able to take on that contact like Horne Francis can now and we will celebrate his possessions. We just have to endure this stage of his development.

Credit to Port Adelaide they are a tremendous list. We made them work hard tonight.

Last edited:
Was willing to give Steele an out last week when he was down as he’s being carrying us every week but geez tonight again he just looked so slow and he’s really lost that tackling edge.
Not sure if it’s a minor knee injury that was holding him back tonight.
Would be nice if the umpires picked up that he was being held off the ball all night, that really didn’t help.
Really need to bounce back next week Jack.
Poor bastard has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

*edit just checked and he had 9 tackles. Didn’t seem to have the same edge
Won't say a lot about tonight's game, but Steele was getting absolutely hammered by Port mids at every opportunity. We have little in the way of big bodies or experienced heads in there when the heat is on him. His knee is clearly affecting him, but he was smashed up pretty bad in there which was clearly a tactic of Ports.

Lost 4 of 5 games by 11 points or less with 1/3 of our best 22 injured. Some playing are underdone. Umpiring has been shocking against in tight finishes. I can't see how you can justify saying we will finish bottom 6.

If we do, "told ya so"
If we don't . No-one remembers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back