Preview Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Friday 26 April, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FMD it is amazing how much Trump lives in people's head rent free.

I see so many people have a borderline obsession with everything Trump. My dad is in the same category. The supermarket is out of milk it will be a Trump related issue.

I am no Trump supporter, just find it fascinating how obsessed people are. Meanwhile, the current president is weeing himself, can't even talk, is regularly sniffing kids like an absolute creep, has a heroin fueled son doing dodgy deals for the "big guy", and it garners no attention whatsoever.

Strange times indeed.

He's forever a marker on the human evolution scale indicating the beginning of the end, weoponised by social media. He's in your head too, don't fight it.

I’d love to have a chat to rtb and ask him about our
Poor goal kicking
Lack of fwd pressure
Poor tackling technique
Lack of controlled ball skills under pressure
Lack of fwd leading patterns
Uncontested turnovers

I’d ask him if the coaching team has noticed any of that.
If he says yes I’d say well wtf are you doing about it campaigner?
He'd tell you it's talent related off camera, on camera he'll waffle on in a manner that keeps you staring at the screen.

The issue is we probably have to kick 13 goals at least to win a game of footy. King is usually good for 2-4 of them. So without him who kicks his goals?

In the long run we do need to find an answer to that question as we are way too reliant on him.

Doubt we could kick 13 goals with Max King. I think we have to s**t all over their attractive brand of footy and make it a dour 6.13 to 9.3 type of game. Stifle all their energy with a real Colin Robinson type of effort on them.

I'll ask again as it's clearly falling on headless chicken ears, can we please keep this thread for the coming game discussion instead of pant pissing carry on about the state of the club?
Mediocrity/Laughing stock/whatever it's a sooky discussion that belongs elsewhere.
This thread has gone to absolute shyte.

Don't worry about it, it's getting closed soon enough anyway so might as well just let the kids have a little play before you knock down that castle and laugh heartily.

At least we stopped a picketing situation at RSEA, so I consider that a job well done.

No chance in any universe it’s a good thing.

We have shown time and time again without King over the last 18m that we will continue to bomb it long and high without him, but to lesser targets.

Intercept defenders absolutely dominate us when King doesn’t play. Destroy us.

King at least brings the contest and makes the intercept defenders accountable.

We are significantly better team with King in that forward line.

Wonder if we will try something left field and bring in Campbell this week to go up against Sweet, Marshall forward with some ruck.

No chance for Campbell, I mean, we've spent now two seasons with a rather large injury list at times and he's not rated anything except emergency, so I don't see why anything would change now to include him in the 22. I dare say we'll probably play a man short before they consider him, or maybe throw Butler into the ruck as he can jump a bit first.

With king this year we’ve kicked
9.14, 14.10, 9.13, 9.13, 12.7

Without him we kicked 9.10

So with him we average 10 and a half goals and without him we average 9 and we’ve all acknowledged we were trash last week.

To be clear I’m hoping that rather than the standard MO of putting it on maxs head when he has 3 defenders hanging off him and a 4th floating in we might do something different without him.

I don’t see anyway we win anyway.
The damning stat- any team who kicks 11 goals against us will win

Doubt we could kick 13 goals with Max King. I think we have to s**t all over their attractive brand of footy and make it a dour 6.13 to 9.3 type of game. Stifle all their energy with a real Colin Robinson type of effort on them.
Almost guaranteed we won't get above 10 goals but to be fair what other choice does a coach have but to deploy a game plan that plays to the teams strengths and weaknesses? Which right now is mostly weaknesses due to a significant shortage of talent. As unpalatable as that is to the boofheads, it's just reality. The game plan will be all about stopping Port from scoring, bet your house on it. And we will only attack when mistakes are made and by Port. As frustrating as that reality is, I have accepted we just don't have the talent to do deploy a game plan that can afford skill errors which Port will score from the turnover which is the modern game plan.

lack of talent = skill erors = opposition scoring on the turnover.

It's hard pill to swallow but it's reality.

Max King kicked 6 goals straight at the Adelaide Oval in a rare win there a couple of years ago where we kicked 14.6

That was against the Crows rather than Port and it was an exception where he didn't spray a shot but he is capable of it there.

We are a better chance of beating Port with him in our team but we need the good Max King and not the bad sooky Max King.

If he doesn't play I wouldn't mind seeing Hayes get a call up to play the tall forward role and he could also give Marshall some much needed support in the ruck, although he should be able to beat Sweet by himself.

I agree and it's the issue we need to work towards fixing eventually. But the point is we are less likely to kick goals without him.

The issue is we probably have to kick 13 goals at least to win a game of footy. King is usually good for 2-4 of them. So without him who kicks his goals?

In the long run we do need to find an answer to that question as we are way too reliant on him.
Arie’s going to come in and kick six from the back flank.

I see an opportunity with this season. Taking a recent NBA example, the San Antonio Spurs were having an out of ordinary poor season in 2023, they embraced that unfortunate situation and leaned in. Walked away from the draft with Victor Wembanyama, the #1 draft pick and a generational talent. Wemby has immediately improved them and they are on the bounce.

The point is.

If the season becomes clearly a write off due to form/injury/fixture/etc., we need to recognise that and act accordingly. No need to push for wins to finish mid table and hit the draft with a diluted Pick 16.

Don't throw good money after bad, expose the list and push youth.
Wins are always important. Culture, attitude are everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wins are always important. Culture, attitude are everything.
Do you reckon north’s win against Gold Coast was more important than getting Harley Reid?

No one is suggesting sending players out their with the direction to lose games but blending experience with youth for development becomes a result in itself.

Almost guaranteed we won't get above 10 goals but to be fair what other choice does a coach have but to deploy a game plan that plays to the teams strengths and weaknesses? Which right now is mostly weaknesses due to a significant shortage of talent. As unpalatable as that is to the boofheads, it's just reality. The game plan will be all about stopping Port from scoring, bet your house on it. And we will only attack when mistakes are made and by Port. As frustrating as that reality is, I have accepted we just don't have the talent to do deploy a game plan that can afford skill errors which Port will score from the turnover which is the modern game plan.

lack of talent = skill erors = opposition scoring on the turnover.

It's hard pill to swallow but it's reality.
Yeah - I'm a little, little bit worried that Rozee, Butters and JHF are gonna tear us to threads here.

Well said Stavro, although you are an unashamed fan and come across a bit weird in your support for RL, you have articulated well a point I agree with.

The fans who have been ultra quick to jump off Ross just highlight the game is designed for a Trump type circus more than ever.

I said it from day one on RLs return, what magic wand had RL found, what magic trick has he found that nooooooo other coach in the competition has been able to find...ever!

Most saw that as an attack on Ross himself which couldn't be further from the truth, and as much as I tried to be clear about my point, it just was not possible to cut through the Trumpism.

The point is, you can have the best coach the game has ever seen, but without talent, you are a feather duster. Moreover, my skeptism, was, AND STILL IS, all about the club itself and the ability for it to overcome a 150 culture. What magic trick have we found that will now all of a sudden procure the required amount of talent to make us successful and relevant?

Ross doesn't have that trick, he's a great coach but he's faced with the same massive challenges all clubs except GCS & GWS have with talent procurement. But it's a supercharged challenge at a poor club like ours that can't find a way to use the word "successful" in its vocabulary.

If we can get away from the Messiah culture, which I don't think we can due to Trumpism, then coaches like Ross are really up against it. For Ross to have any chance of procuring said talent he will need at least 10 years just like Scott was afforded at Geelong to win his first flag, (the 2011 flag was Bombers). That is the only way forward if we are a fighting chance.

Replace the word Ross in all of the above with the coach of your choice if it helps you comprehend the point about the solution being a long term plan.
A good coach needs players
A good club needs to recruit/trade well…
Earth shattering this stuff..

Do you reckon north’s win against Gold Coast was more important than getting Harley Reid?

No one is suggesting sending players out there with the direction to lose games but blending experience with youth for development becomes a result in itself.
I think that is exactly what was suggested in the post. Wins aren’t important to us. We are a team in mid table position. Your example was a team, North, that has sat at the bottom of the ladder for some time. Not sure that argument stacks is relevant to us tbh.
We have lost one game in a fashion that was unacceptable and have been building for just over 1 year.
We have been blending youth with experience. It’s exactly what we’ve been doing so can you explain the difference to me?

I reckon people just get sick of being told how to suck eggs by posters who sell themselves as having a better insight because they watch handball drills.

There are lot's of really good folk who go watch training and share little tidbits to the board, it's appreciated.

But there are also a couple who strangely try to use watching training as a flex, making them better supporters and giving them a better understanding, opinions that regular posters should respect.

It doesn't matter if you are the actual head coach, the head of recruiting or Nick Riewoldt in here… people are here to celebrate, have a laugh, vent, talk shop, talk s**t.

FWIW I don't have huge issues with Ross but he's definitely a divisive character, some of the knocks on him over the journey are:

His sides are too defensive, struggle to kick winning sore which always leaves the door open.
He's loved by senior players, developing players not so much.
He runs players into the ground with a grueling game plan which is unsustainable.
His pressure on recruitment is for the short term.
He's never brought a side up through a rebuild, can't develop a side from scratch.
He walked out on the club in 2011, leaving the list in ruins.

You can argue the toss over all of that and people will, some maybe untrue or unfair, but these are some of the factors that keep fans wary.

Telling people how they should feel/support or who they should respect out of some absurd hubris will always elicit pushback and rightly so.
It reads like you have Stav issues…
I’d grab a room …

Max King kicked 6 goals straight at the Adelaide Oval in a rare win there a couple of years ago where we kicked 14.6

That was against the Crows rather than Port and it was an exception where he didn't spray a shot but he is capable of it there.

We are a better chance of beating Port with him in our team but we need the good Max King and not the bad sooky Max King.

If he doesn't play I wouldn't mind seeing Hayes get a call up to play the tall forward role and he could also give Marshall some much needed support in the ruck, although he should be able to beat Sweet by himself.

Max is like Snags. Any game either could kick you 6 goals but both can equally suck all the energy out of the contest with their deflating misses and selfish sulky individual game. They are both like a coin toss as to which one you'll get on any given day.

Max is like Snags. Any game either could kick you 6 goals but both can equally suck all the energy out of the contest with their deflating misses and selfish sulky individual game. They are both like a coin toss as to which one you'll get on any given day.
You should rename them Yin and Yang mate or maybe the Two Up brothers - not sure which at this stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back