Preview Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Friday 26 April, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Have a chat' is usually the hat wearing track watchers saying something as Ross walks by and Ross saying a vague statement back to them.

The concept any fan can just rock up to training and have an in-depth conversation with the coach about the things he's not doing well is quite hilarious
The Boss doesn't have the time to have an in depth convo with fans.....but I've been very surprised at how often he'll stop and have a chat to fans on the fence.

When he's going up or down the ramp.....he'll usually stop and have a chat to people standing at the ramp fence.

Being a "fence leaner" myself......the zingers that he fires back over the fence are often hilarious.

The Boss does have a great sense of humor.

It's amazing how many of the fans who have become disgruntled so quickly were possibly the same fans heralding his return and delighting in Ross bringing an uncompromising, brutal and demanding style back. And all this against the backdrop of modern coaching styles being the caring, sharing Ted Laso and Craig McCrae trend.

The bottom line is it would be near dam impossible to be successful in any leadership type role during the Trumpism era of mankind.

Today's training was rough, as evidenced by those soft Brains Trust folk who scattered from their usual position on the fence at the first drop of rain. It actually came down hard for a good 5-10 minutes. But it was too good of an opportunity not to throw out a quick drive by.
Settle there TJ.

Do you know how much it costs these days to get a Brains Trust hat dry cleaned ?????

Just saying.

A drive by...........soft ????

You just actually mowed us down !!!!!!!

Ummm....you nailed it actually.

;) ;) ;)

It's amazing how many of the fans who have become disgruntled so quickly were possibly the same fans heralding his return and delighting in Ross bringing an uncompromising, brutal and demanding style back. And all this against the backdrop of modern coaching styles being the caring, sharing Ted Laso and Craig McCrae trend.

The bottom line is it would be near dam impossible to be successful in any leadership type role during the Trumpism era of mankind.
It must be because I was out of the country and didn't endure the dross that was apparently served up against the Dogs, but I am not that worried. This is not a sprint, development is not linear, and we are thin on talent to begin with, let alone with the injury situation we have presently. I think we will see a marked improvement as soon as we have some more senior bodies back with a couple of runs under their belts.
The combination of factors, not least the ridiculous "FIXture" of the AFL, served us up a perfect storm. It is certainly not ideal that we go this week to Adelaide against a "wounded" Port, both a venue and a team that we have struggled to overcome for a long time. However if in 3 weeks time, we sit 4 and 5, with senior players back and mysteriously playing better footy, how much will the immediate gratification naysayers in here be pissing and moaning?

I've got a lot of faith in Coops. Happy to see him stay in the side of it's as a forward but this back/wing caper isn't working. Caminiti, Membrey, Sharman, it's just really vanilla at the moment and I think we need to change it up by getting Hayes in there.

Membreys last quarter against Dogs probably saved him, hoping he can bring that form into this week. If we can't get our forward line going then we are just not going to win many games. The midfield has been poor but it is really undermanned and we have players coming back there, the forward line looks like it needs a reboot although King should make a huge difference. Henry was an enormous loss too.
I wouldn't put too much faith in Hayes, it's been fully 2 years since his last game.
However l fully agree and they need to shake it up. King needs to play CHF to stretch the oppo defence. Sit Hayes in the goal square, Membrey leading amd Coops roaming. Hammer back in the 2's through no fault of his own.

I'll say it. King playing FF is half our problem. He doesn't lead enough, misses simple goals, sooks and loses confidence. The oppo know we're gonna bomb it to him so they crowd him like flies on s**t, and our smalls can't get the spill.
It's time our prized pony got his hands dirty and learned to pull a plow for his own bloody good.

It must be because I was out of the country and didn't endure the dross that was apparently served up against the Dogs, but I am not that worried. This is not a sprint, development is not linear, and we are thin on talent to begin with, let alone with the injury situation we have presently. I think we will see a marked improvement as soon as we have some more senior bodies back with a couple of runs under their belts.
The combination of factors, not least the ridiculous "FIXture" of the AFL, served us up a perfect storm. It is certainly not ideal that we go this week to Adelaide against a "wounded" Port, both a venue and a team that we have struggled to overcome for a long time. However if in 3 weeks time, we sit 4 and 5, with senior players back and mysteriously playing better footy, how much will the immediate gratification naysayers in here be pissing and moaning?
Firstly not a single saints supporter thinks it’s a sprint but we’re also well past marathon stage at this point. Nearly 60 years without a flag and one finals win in… 12 years? I think being a bit impatient is fair enough.

More to the point you’re gonna be happy with 4-5 a negative ledger. Saints supporters just continue to find new ways to lower the bar.

Firstly not a single saints supporter thinks it’s a sprint but we’re also well past marathon stage at this point. Nearly 60 years without a flag and one finals win in… 12 years? I think being a bit impatient is fair enough.

More to the point you’re gonna be happy with 4-5 a negative ledger. Saints supporters just continue to find new ways to lower the bar.
Unfair comments l think. We all cope with this club in our own ways.
Like TB, I'm satisfied if we are on a progressive pathway and am willing to forgive the stumbles along the way.
I wanted wanted Ratts gone after 2 years and Billings gone 4 years ago. The fact the club is now doing what l though to be obvious gives me faith for another year even if results aren't flowing. When watching good sides play good footy you realise we are a ways off so I'm not caught up in the now.

Last edited:
Like TB, I'm satisfied if we are on a progressive pathway and am willing to forgive the stumbles along the way.
I wanted wanted Ratts gone after 2 years and Billings gone 4 years ago. The fact the club is now doing what l though to be obvious gives me faith for another year even if results aren't flowing. When watching good sides play good footy you realise we are a ways off so I'm caught up in the now.
Which part is unfair? Being satisfied with yet again having a losing record?

It’s not like we’re doing a rebuild, we’re doing a refresh or whatever you wanna call it.

We’re splitting the difference between playing finals and blooding youth and we still seem to heck our selves with injuries every year.

You see a new dawn I see more of the middling same.

I’m glad you’re happy truly but the true believers who keep hanging s**t on the skeptics get real tiresome after nearly 60 years (to be fair the actual True Believer I responded to didn’t actually s**t on anyone so fair play to them)

Good grief.
Can you please create a "Sky is Falling" thread for your Henny Penny drivel?
Pages and pages of this crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't even know what the heck you and Stav are on about. A few people ******* around said we should sack him after last week but haven't seen any serious dissing of him. A. few question his deification but not much else.

Ross gets to have a s**t season and if he still isn't getting results next year scrutiny should and will start to come for him. Ratts was a hero until he wasn't too. There were heaps supporting Richo, even at the end but then most turned on him. That's a coaches life.

10 goal losses are bad enough, but last week the game was over before quarter time… I think that's what saps the energy of the fans and causes some maniacal melts.

Not often a 10 goal loss is a flattering result too.

Port have some sore boys. Aliir sore ankle from training this week. JHF hamstring cramping. Boak questionable. Wines sore still. Dixon been sore. Jones sore. We have two extra days rest.

We will be putting in an inexperienced side but I'd really like to see us take it up to them this week. I don't think we should get smashed in this game.

Almost worth another 10 goal loss just to see you go troppo on Friday.

It’s easy to act the hero behind the keyboard and then constantly zero in on posters who have no issues with the guy.

Grow a pair and go down to Linton st and tell the bloke your issues. If you can deliver a fair and reasonable footy argument. He is happy to chat about it.

Suppose that’s that issue here as most cant actually articulate a genuine argument against the bloke other then you don’t like his style of play or he doesn’t say the things you want him too.
I reckon people just get sick of being told how to suck eggs by posters who sell themselves as having a better insight because they watch handball drills.

There are lot's of really good folk who go watch training and share little tidbits to the board, it's appreciated.

But there are also a couple who strangely try to use watching training as a flex, making them better supporters and giving them a better understanding, opinions that regular posters should respect.

It doesn't matter if you are the actual head coach, the head of recruiting or Nick Riewoldt in here… people are here to celebrate, have a laugh, vent, talk shop, talk s**t.

FWIW I don't have huge issues with Ross but he's definitely a divisive character, some of the knocks on him over the journey are:

His sides are too defensive, struggle to kick winning sore which always leaves the door open.
He's loved by senior players, developing players not so much.
He runs players into the ground with a grueling game plan which is unsustainable.
His pressure on recruitment is for the short term.
He's never brought a side up through a rebuild, can't develop a side from scratch.
He walked out on the club in 2011, leaving the list in ruins.

You can argue the toss over all of that and people will, some maybe untrue or unfair, but these are some of the factors that keep fans wary.

Telling people how they should feel/support or who they should respect out of some absurd hubris will always elicit pushback and rightly so.

I wanted wanted Ratts gone after 2 years and Billings gone 4 years ago. The fact the club is now doing what l though to be obvious gives me faith for another year even if results aren't flowing. When watching good sides play good footy you realise we are a ways off so I'm caught up in the now.

We are definitely on a better path than we have been since Lyon left but striving for perfection is never a bad thing.

Port have some sore boys. Aliir sore ankle from training this week. JHF hamstring cramping. Boak questionable. Wines sore still. Dixon been sore. Jones sore. We have two extra days rest.

We will be putting in an inexperienced side but I'd really like to see us take it up to them this week. I don't think we should get smashed in this game.
We just need to see better effort and intent from the players this week.

And a better on field set-up from the coaches box.

Thanks for the information.

Based on your possible VFL's does that mean Jones is getting a reprieve?

Would love to Arie get a game but sounds like it might be a little while still. Did Collard train fully?

Hmm, I can't really remember Jones, at a pinch I think he had a bib on - but I can't say that with all that much certainty.

Arie may well play soon, but I just wanted to say we need to accept that he will make mistakes. Collard trained fully, did ok, gets out the back and reads it well. I'd like him in the ones, will give the couple of goal low possession game no matter where he plays.

Great report - only missing one important detail - did you talk to Ross?

We locked eyes once, I looked away instantly, fearing for my life.

Settle there TJ.

Do you know how much it costs these days to get a Brains Trust hat dry cleaned ?????

Just saying.

A drive by...........soft ????

You just actually mowed us down !!!!!!!

Ummm....you nailed it actually.

;) ;) ;)

Mate you know I'm just jealous that I have to turn up to training with any ordinary cap, talk about feeling like an outcast!

Longest. Marathon. Ever.

Does anyone have a POV regarding Mitchito transitioning to becoming a Centre-half Back?

Reasons for No
-he’s never been a defender
-he’s a burst player, bursts of magic
Reasons for yes
-he can leap
-he is strong
-he has lateral power(duh- he can twist move sideways hard and fast)
-he can read the play well

We lack a CHB
Battle is the ideal third defender not second
Until he improves all aspects of his kicking he’s going to stagnate. Can’t question his will and desire but his kicking is so far off AFL standard atm. He could be anything if he can sort it out. Big if though imo.

I tend to agree with this. We’re not playing well, we’re not gelling and we’re not winning games. We keep rolling out the same old cattle and getting the same results it will be immensely frustrating.

It’s probably too early to wipe the season but if we can’t make finals by the bye I’d support full play the kids mode
I see an opportunity with this season. Taking a recent NBA example, the San Antonio Spurs were having an out of ordinary poor season in 2023, they embraced that unfortunate situation and leaned in. Walked away from the draft with Victor Wembanyama, the #1 draft pick and a generational talent. Wemby has immediately improved them and they are on the bounce.

The point is.

If the season becomes clearly a write off due to form/injury/fixture/etc., we need to recognise that and act accordingly. No need to push for wins to finish mid table and hit the draft with a diluted Pick 16.

Don't throw good money after bad, expose the list and push youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back