Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Cut Caminiti some slack, he’s only 20 and playing in a very tough position. In 2-3 years time he will be a totally different prospect.
I like him, just saying he's not the number 1 guy for a forward line to function like tonight. His career will be based on being the 2nd/3rd guy.

My post was in response to forward entries for the match. A lot of posts are hanging the game plan when the personnel executing is far from ideal. I'd like to see him next to King more than Membrey tbh, I am firmly in the look into the future brigade of posters. No more disillusions about where the 2024 list will finish.

I know he's still so young/inexperienced and I still have hope, but starting to worry about Phillipou.

Seen a few say he was good tonight, but I'm not so sure. Doesn't seem to be getting any better with more games played.. I reckon his first 5 games were his best.

Isn't winning much of the ball, whenever he gets it he refuses to kick it and usually spins into oncoming traffic or handballs to a stationery teammate. For a big guy he's also quite weak in contest as well.

I think he desperately needs a spell playing 100% midfield in VFL to get a bit of confidence back.

I was initially against this, but I agree. For a bloke with Phillopou's self belief I think a few weeks dominating the two's will remind him just how talented he is

I was initially against this, but I agree. For a bloke with Phillopou's self belief I think a few weeks dominating the two's will remind him just how talented he is
A lot of us have trotted out the 'hes done some nice things' after some games, myself included, but don't think he's consistently put together whole games. He definitely could use that run (once list availability permits it). Could arguably gain a lot from seeing the ball 30+ times and getting his usage up rather than the 12 he currently averages. Even if its just a few weeks. Would be nice to have that contract signed first.

The only bad thing that could come of it is, what if he doesn't dominate.

Didn't see the game but just watched the highlights ... maybe not a true indication but ....

Fk me .... Port's first 4 goals were the most shocking turnovers you will ever witness

Then when we were still in the game the Byrne-Jones mark out of bounds goal was a disgrace... clearly out of bounds .... wtf are these boundary umpires doing??

Then the usual Opposition full forward free kick to Dixon which King would never get sealed it for Port

25 to 10 free kicks against .... really?

And we only lost by 10pts .... 4 losses now against top 8 sides - 10pts or under

With quite a large injury list

Is everyone seriously writing us off or can we do a Carlton like last year?
I don't think we can or will do a Carlton, but i'm hoping we surprise a few along the way once we get a few back & they become match fit.

25 now and consistently gone to games since 5 with my old man. I cycle between drinking the cool aid about our young core with the standards being improved under Ross and thinking it’s just another false dawn.

I guess I should be circumspect like a Ross presser and find the silver lining. It’s certainly a challenge being a saints fan and I’m sure that won’t change. A good mate of mine is a north fan and he’s started to go watch storm with his old man to try and get some enjoyment out of Melbourne live sport. It’s tempting to be honest, even though I don’t really like NRL outside of origin or a final.

In the end I’ll still lurk the forum, google st kilda under news and look for some positives. It doesn’t get easier as time goes on though. In the post draw years as we rebuilt I had confidence in our kids. I have similar confidence now but I wonder if it’s just the same scenario where you see what you want to see and hope for outcomes that will fit your preferred view of the club.

Probably plenty of waffle above, but it does ware on you, even if it’s been waring on me for a shorter time than some of the faithful.

I think for me the difference is I was talking myself into Billings, Acres, Dunstan etc.. whereas you can see amazing potential in Owens, Pou, Nas, Windy etc. They can all do things that Billings or Dunstan never could and are truly dynamic, which is what we've been asking for. Or maybe we're just going to repeat the cycle again and overhype our kids out of desperation. I hope not!

Right now the midfield and forward half are between senior and VFL standard. The backline is ok, but is under continual pressure from the poor defensive work from the midfield and forwards- I don't think the forwards put any defensive pressure on at all last night. Caminiti did a couple of nice things but faded, and Owens and Membrey were making up numbers, plus nothing from much from Pou or Sharman. King's return will help, but he needs to be played high on forward line.
We can't kick enough goals to win games basically

Pou may need a spell but, again, he showed some signs of brilliance last night.

Two plays in particular where his hands were sublime in traffic - gathered cleanly, spun, made the right decision, and handballed perfectly to a running player. All things which VERY few of our players do. Both resulted in goals.

He’s a kid with a kid’s body. He’ll get there.

Pou may need a spell but, again, he showed some signs of brilliance last night.

Two plays in particular where his hands were sublime in traffic - gathered cleanly, spun, made the right decision, and handballed perfectly to a running player. All things which VERY few of our players do. Both resulted in goals.

He’s a kid with a kid’s body. He’ll get there.
He just needs to back himself more. Too often he goes for the handball instead of backing himself in the better position. Once he starts taking the responsibility on times, his form will improve drastically.

I can't remember seeing more players s**t themselves with ball in hand than last night. Our decision making was poor, and we looked slow again, across the ground and in our reaction times. We desperately need some soldiers back to refresh the group - fingers crossed the boys playing VFL in the next week or 2 come up ok.

We need a points system for Pou - he gets a point for doing something sublime, but loses one when he gives a 2m handball to a teammate who immediately gets wrapped up. Not sure he would have broken even this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another night of under 10's swarming around the with zero set up outside the contest.

Another night of 1 metre handballs to players under pressure

Another night of hacking kicks out of the contest

And when we do get clearances - another night of forwards not leading at the kicker. (Although that's understandable since most of them can't hit the side of a barn)

Being live at the game last night, a few takeaways:
  • The game felt very much like the Bulldogs game in the 1st quarter. The only thing that saved us was their kicking
  • You could really notice the talent difference in the midfield. They have 3 game breaking superstars, and we have none
  • Wilson looks like a 200-game player all ready. His speed, along with Hastie & Garcia in the last quarter was important. If we can gift games to Pou, I don't see why Hastie should be any different. It looks like a good draft.
  • The boys dug deep in the last and fought it out. Everyone was running hard and the pressure was great
  • I didn't notice the lop-sided free-kick count live. Thought Members was very stiff not to get a free kick when Zerk-Thatcher spoiled but didn't have eyes on the ball. Port still whinged they didn't get more free kicks
  • Kicking in the backline was horrendous. Too many times, we tried to take on an aggressive kick that was nowhere near there. A recurring problem this year
  • If you add King, Henry, and Wood to that team, we are a completely different proposition. We just don't have the quality and depth of other teams.
Overall, it was a solid effort, and it highlighted the need to keep playing the kids and building for the future.

Last edited:
Was willing to give Steele an out last week when he was down as he’s being carrying us every week but geez tonight again he just looked so slow and he’s really lost that tackling edge.
Not sure if it’s a minor knee injury that was holding him back tonight.
Would be nice if the umpires picked up that he was being held off the ball all night, that really didn’t help.
Really need to bounce back next week Jack.
Poor bastard has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

*edit just checked and he had 9 tackles. Didn’t seem to have the same edge
Love to know how many he missed tbh. Reckon I saw more than 9

JHF had the 007 "do what you want mate" calls but he's so dynamic... we need to find or develop someone like him. Would transform the team.
They dont come around very often and you need to finish last to get one. Imagine if wed had access to players like Bont or Trac or Rozee, we'd be a totally different team.

So sick of watching us play a sh*tty brand of error filled football.

I love the Saints, but I also love footy. Watching us play the game is not a pleasant experience.

This might sound petty, but I can't believe I chose this year to blow nearly 2k on memberships.

I have zero desire to go and watch us play. I have even less desire to take my girlfriend or my sons to a game.

Cut Caminiti some slack, he’s only 20 and playing in a very tough position. In 2-3 years time he will be a totally different prospect.

His stats are around most of the star KPFs were at the same age. He's a 22 game kpf playing in a side with a barely existent midfield and no support. He's over performing to me.

The umpiring was shocking.
I had Port supporters agreeing with me...that umpiring was squarely favouring them.

As an impartial Tigers fan, last night was one of the most one sided umpiring efforts I have seen, I was yelling at the TV and my wife thought I was watching another Tigers loss. In the third quarter Port had around 9 frees and you guys one, seems the umps were awarding frees to Port for every minor infraction by Saints players and letting Port do as they liked to your players, absolutely shocking. And the worst part is that if someone speaks our they get fined, what sort of nonsense is that?

Now I'm going back to the Tigers forum to wallow in self pity at how bad we are this year. :(

Last edited:
The umps were bad but that doesn't change the fact that it's another "honourable loss" that should have been 6-8 goals. Geelong really should have put us away, GWS put the cue in the rack and if Port hadn't kicked 1.9 or whatever it was we would have been in huge trouble in this one.

Anyone criticising King needs to understand how important he is to our forwards structure. Caminiti is working his ass off and tries so hard but we look listless going forward without King. Membrey's strength was always his surprising agility off a two footed jump and his marking strength against a direct opponent. I think both of these are fading quickly and it's becoming noticeable.

We need something fresh in the midfield because it's gotten stale. Someone last week said we have probably had the worst midfield in the comp for the last 5 years and it is probably right. Steele is great at what he does but is slow and he is not a game breaker like Bont, Trac etc. Dow offers speed and Clark offers elite control under pressure and both will be a welcome addition ASAP just to mix things up.

It's not going to happen overnight with Pou, Windy and Owens so i'm not too worried in that space. Last year Pou was quiet for most of the games but because we were winning he was getting praise for his highlights. When you're losing and expectations are raised suddenly the shine wears off and it's not as exciting. The three of them are being asked to do more then they should because we are competitive and also are dealing with injuries. These games will help them in the long run, they are all still so young.

Wood and Henry will be valuable aswell and we are obviously hurting with both of them out. I am not writing off this season till I see our ideal 22 on the park which shouldn't be too far away, but unfortunately think we are heading for another classic 10th-12th placed finish and a good but not great draft pick. Hopefully we nail it and our young guys keep improving this year.

Ross Lyon lets sides take shots on us but they are from long range and acute angles. Bulldogs were hitting 55 meter kicks and we dropped effort, Port weren't and the yips set in. Our game plan flatters the skill deficit due to having young side and a lack of top end players.

Think Steele might be injured again and we then have Ross, Windhager, and then we have to drag in Stocker, Sincs etc that then leave guys like Bonner one out.

We just don't have enough ready made depth or stars to lift us on their shoulders. The best thing that could happen for us is to finish in the bottom half of the ladder and pick up one of the gun mids in this draft. Wilson reminds you of why you draft good kids and play them. It's all an investment.

I like him, just saying he's not the number 1 guy for a forward line to function like tonight. His career will be based on being the 2nd/3rd guy.

My post was in response to forward entries for the match. A lot of posts are hanging the game plan when the personnel executing is far from ideal. I'd like to see him next to King more than Membrey tbh, I am firmly in the look into the future brigade of posters. No more disillusions about where the 2024 list will finish.

Disagree, I think he's got real BDE. He's rucking and having to play a pressure forward game.Give him a few years and then judge him. Need to compare him to someone like Cadman or Jefferson.

Expected a pantsing and after the first couple of minutes with turnovers and horrible skills on display expected it to be worse than first thought.
Poor goal kicking and injuries to Port helped immensely but they also got a heap of cheap goals from questionable free kicks/decisions so swings and roundabouts on that front I suppose.
Feels like we say this every single year; our skills are deplorable and we desperately need a midfielder of a higher caliber than a solid B.
Except for the dogs game the game-plan somehow seems to work??? They've all been very close loses with an extremely inexperienced team that hasn't played a lot of footy together.
I know it's not attractive to watch but keeping it close would build belief - and I seem to recall this dour, defensive approach happening in the years leading up to '09 and 10?

Get some soldiers back (not sure how Roma will be managed but he needs relief) and hit the ground hard against a stretch of winnable games and get to the break there or there abouts.

We've been here before, let's find out what RTB can do different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back