Autopsy Round 7 2024 - GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Thursday 25 April, 7.30 pm AEST @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Cadman and Amartey are about on par at the moment

What do you think mate ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was raising this comparison as some think swans should only play 2 talls, dropping Amartey

I think Cadman is younger, so should surpass Amartey next year.
I was critical of Cadman being played last year, but he has started well overall this season.
This week selections will be tricky, I think Cadman should stay in the 23, but sometimes be the sub.

It's funny how things ( like a big win) change perspective.
With 3 minutes to go in Q2 , we where behind and I thought Brisbane's more mature bodies where going to overpower us like Carltons did.
Thankfully I was wrong, although towards the end Brisbane's pressure was like a North Melbourne team.

It was great to have that performance last night with so many 3rd year and younger players, but I guess some of them will go out as Taylor, Cogs, Greene return.

Last edited:
Yeah this is a tough one. If Jones gets the rising star, which I expect him too, then you can’t take him out. But Thomas did well too. Taylor for Aleer is an obvious one. Sad for him because he needs to get games into him too. But when the team is so strong it’s going to be the weakest link that misses out I guess.

I think the forwards are down to Cadman and Weir for that spot. Maybe Weir. But then there is Toby and Daniels to come in too. Man match committee will be tough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Will be very interesting. Maybe there will someone who has been carrying a few niggles that gets managed and is the start of managing workloads to make sure everyone is fresh over the length of the season.

I think players 19, 20, 21 & 22 from last night are Cadman, XO, Wehr, Peatling (3 mids and a key forward) but we have 1 mid and 2 forwards (outside of Taylor) to come in so not sure how they make that work and keep a balanced side.

Good spot to be in

Apologies if I've missed any posts regarding this.

No medals were given at the end of our game, anyone able to shed some light why that may be that case when all other Anzac day round games appear to have had a medal awarded.

Apologies if I've missed any posts regarding this.

No medals were given at the end of our game, anyone able to shed some light why that may be that case when all other Anzac day round games appear to have had a medal awarded.
I don't know for sure, this is just a guess, but the Bombers-Pies game is a traditional Anzac Day match, whereas ours was essentially a "once-off", so they didn't create one in this instance.

I don't know for sure, this is just a guess, but the Bombers-Pies game is a traditional Anzac Day match, whereas ours was essentially a "once-off", so they didn't create one in this instance.
Fair point. Also whilst there is the Checker Hughes medal for the best player for the Anzac Eve match between Melbourne vs Richmond, they have only had the medal for the last 4 years - even though the first Anzac Day Eve clash between these clubs occurred in 2015.

I will admit I was not confident going into this game with the opportunity for the Lions to respond after the loss to the cats the previous week and at least show some hope for the supporters for this season and like Fagan not sure what the issues are as a few players missing but still too much class on the field. Last years GF loss like the Giants in 19 has effected them the following season (Yes covid/hubs did play a factor also). At least Hipwood can cry him self to sleep with all the money from his contract (till end of 29) as he may be playing VFL next week. They need some hardness on the field and not fake hardness just be hungry for the ball and stick tackles and also pressure in the forward 50 (4 F50 tackles v 23 for the Giants)

How good is Kingsley as coach (entire department needs praise) target Neale and get Briggs to have the confidence to play how he did and not sure on stats and he has been a slow burn but Callum Brown is such a good kick for goal not high stats but his impact and the confidence when he has the ball even 60 from goal and also I see more scope for improvement with only turning 24 near the end of the season

So, based on a pre game commitment it turns out I'm now a token gws fan for the rest of the year. Unless I'm booed off your board.

Gotta have a team to cheer for in the finals series and the lions are not looking likely. Absolutely spent, nothing left and we aren't even half way.

Couldn't see a thread for other supporters, if you have one can you flick me to it.

I have a lot to learn about your players, hopefully it's a fun experience.
Link up with dlanod - He'll steer you right.

As long as you're not a dick or a Dogs supporter these guys are fairly welcoming. But then I've been on here since most if not all of them, so I'm part of the furniture anyway. :D

As long as you're not a dick or a Dogs supporter these guys are fairly welcoming. But then I've been on here since most if not all of them, so I'm part of the furniture anyway. :D

A dogs supporter!

Dlanod you've known me for years. Did I really deserve that insult?

I'm wounded.

A dogs supporter!

Dlanod you've known me for years. Did I really deserve that insult?

I'm wounded.
Nothing personal, talking broadly.

I notice you don't deny being a dick though. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox’s report card of the performance of all clubs during the ANZAC Day round - A+ for us!

GWS GIANTS
The Giants established themselves as serious premiership contenders with an impressive 54-point victory over Brisbane. Adam Kingsley and his match committee are going to start facing selection headaches in the coming weeks with a host of experienced heads set to return, but the youngsters have impressed in their absence.

In the votes
Tom Green (35 disposals) was at his bullocking best and was well supported by the smooth-moving Josh Kelly (25 disposals, ten marks), while youngster Finn Callaghan (32 disposals) had a career-best performance. Callum Brown booted three goals, while debutant Darcy Jones was lively with two majors.

Room for improvement
It’s hard to find any real deficiencies with the Giants at the moment, who are set to welcome back the likes of Toby Greene, Sam Taylor and Stephen Coniglio in the coming weeks, making them an even stronger side. They did lose the centre clearances 10-14 so perhaps there’s some minor room for improvement there.

Grade
A+

This comes from an interview with Lions' Dayne Zorko. Obviously, the questions were primarily about Brisbane, but Zorko's answers were mostly about GWS - very complimentary:

Brisbane veteran Dayne Zorko says an off day for the Lions against an “absolute benchmark” of the competition contributed to his side’s biggest loss of the year in Round 7. Zorko and teammates were handed a large reality check when beaten by the GWS Giants to the tune of 54 points on Anzac Day, with a nine-goal to two second half a major disappointment.

Zorko was quick to hand praise to Adam Kingsley’s men on Monday morning. “I thought upon reflection, that's the absolute benchmark of the competition at the moment,” Zorko told SENQ Breakfast of the Giants. “They were fantastic. I don’t want to take anything away from GWS. Their ability to not only win their own ball but then spread extremely hard and make us defend for most of the night, for me, that was one of the best performances I’ve seen this year. That’s where we want to be and we’ve got a lot of work to get there.”

The Lions were belted in contested footy, outworked by a GWS outfit that was able to take uncontested marks at will, and also allowed the Giants to the outside on far too many occasions. GWS also took 17 bounces to Brisbane’s one. The handball-happy Giants were too slick, with Zorko acknowledging his side lacked solutions on game day. “We didn’t have the answers for it. We back our defence, as we do every week, and our offensive power. But their ability to win the ball on the inside and spread from contest was first class the other night,” he continued.

Greater Western Sydney v Brisbane​

10 Tom Green (GWS)
8 Finn Callaghan (GWS)
5 Harry Himmelberg (GWS)
3 Harry Perryman (GWS)
3 Jack Buckley (GWS)
1 Kieren Briggs (GWS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back