Preview Round 7, 2023: Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle Dockers, Saturday 29 April 1:45pm at the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't calling for rotations but I think those that were are probably thinking older and/or injury risk players like Zorko, Berry, Rich, Gunston.

I don't think Joyce is out as "managed" either, he was just dropped.

I know I was mainly taking the piss. I get why some have questions over his inclusion. I assume having Joyce under managed would have the pretence that he’s 100% best 22 coming back next week when in reality we may find a better mix that doesn’t included him. We saw how Fort played really well with Gunston managed, and many including myself were happy with Fort getting another crack at it and something similar could happen here.

In the end Joyce managed to get the spot for five straight games over experienced AFL player Lester even when coming in as a late supplementary player. I think he would be able to make his way back in the team easily if Lester doesn’t shine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To me Lester in indicates Prior (and Dev) are probably as good as gone, love the frog but he isn't part of the future.
I don't think so. Lester is playing as the third tall defender. Neither of those two can do that. It's not a like for like comparison.

Prior or Dev Robertson not locking down in the backline. See no issue here. Joyce is not as good as he looks. ****s up a lot on gameday.

Don't get the "future" tag either. Adding another game to a younger player doesn't do anything, especially when we're already good.

I don't think so. Lester is playing as the third tall defender. Neither of those two can do that. It's not a like for like comparison.

Agree on that but Prior is the prototype Lester replacement, a real flexible option (I added Dev because of all the noise about him going to WC for similar reasons, not because he would play D).

These kids with talent will look around for more game time if they don't get games with us.

Ala Ben Keys, they have enough time in their careers to find a rebuilding club in need of ready made youth.

We should win even if we are a bit small down back (Prior is 3cm shorter than Frog and a damn sight faster).

Love frog, true he is better to play tall than most but still the wheel turns.

Last edited:
To me Lester in indicates Prior (with Dev) is probably as good as gone, love the frog but he isn't part of the future.
Next weekend is in the future.

“Brisbane has recalled tactical genius and all round superstar Ryan Lester into defence at the expense of omitted Darragh Joyce for its match with Fremantle, while the Dockers have got Sam Switkowski back from a calf niggle.”

TEAMS: Blue's shock return, big Swans back, sore Cat out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NOOOO!! No other team has anyone slow enough for Lester to play on. It's well known that if Lester is the answer, the question is wrong
He could play on Gunston:)

Makes no sense at all to me.

Maybe they want to give Froggy a send off game and figure this one's about as safe as it gets.

Froggy couldn't get a game when we were a weaker team and it's not as if he looks like he's improved any.

Still . Good luck to him. Hope he goes well.
160 odd games tells us he managed to get a few games when we were weak and also played 41 games from 2019-2021 when we finished 2nd, 2nd and 4th.

Pretty piss weak comment to claim it’s a send off game in round 7

Agree on that but Prior is the prototype Lester replacement, a real flexible option (I added Dev because of all the noise about him going to WC for similar reasons, not because he would play D).

These kids with talent will look around for more game time if they don't get games with us.

Ala Ben Keys, they have enough time in their careers to find a rebuilding club in need of ready made youth.

We should win even if we are a bit small down back (Prior is 3cm shorter than Frog and a damn sight faster).

Love frog, true he is better to play tall than most but still the wheel turns.
I've never seen Prior play on a tall forward. Lester has. That's Lester these days - an undersized 3rd tall defender. He's on the list for this reason - to play tall down back. Prior is a flanker or wingman. They really aren't comparable.

I've never seen Prior play on a tall forward. Lester has. That's Lester these days - an undersized 3rd tall defender. He's on the list for this reason - to play tall down back. Prior is a flanker or wingman. They really aren't comparable.

Agree to disagree, just because you haven't seen him try and play tall doesn't mean he can't.

I am sure he can spoil as well as frog and can certainly run off his opponent faster.

Pretty good intercept mark too.

I mostly agree but I dont think Prior has the physical attributes to play third tall if he wanted to. Personally think he should be playing wing for us. I see him as first in for either of Berry or Wilmot at the moment

IMO Prior could play on a 3rd tall forward type, he is listed as 189cm on lions.com, only 3cm shorter than Lester... I also think Madden at 188cm could at a pinch, both more athletic, better jump and much better speed than Lester.

If this game comes down to Lester or Joyce then we’ve got some other issues going on. Having said that I thought Joyce had been solid barring a poor decision with ball in hand every now and then. Lester certainly wouldn’t have been my replacement for him either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back