Review Round 11 - Carlton @ Docklands - 25th May 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Mac is the future of this club, he is an absolute unicorn, seems to win it in the air, on the ground, his disposal is sublime and his closing speed is incredible. He is young but he is minimising those young player errors at warp speed.
Jed is tantalising but Mac seems to be 85% of the finished product already and his upside is best player in the comp. He is that good!
He is gonna fill out more, pinch hit in the ruck by jumping all the fu*k over most other rucks. I don’t think there is anything that he won’t be able to do.
Is no one else seeing this?
I don’t think I’ve seen any else like him.
Mac is a 100% unicorn. Such a gun

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Mac is the future of this club, he is an absolute unicorn, seems to win it in the air, on the ground, his disposal is sublime and his closing speed is incredible. He is young but he is minimising those young player errors at warp speed.
Jed is tantalising but Mac seems to be 85% of the finished product already and his upside is best player in the comp. He is that good!
He is gonna fill out more, pinch hit in the ruck by jumping all the fu*k over most other rucks. I don’t think there is anything that he won’t be able to do.
Totally agree Mac is going to be a superstar.
I really like Johnston as well and think he has the makings of a good player.
Rogers on the other hand is going to be a star. Rising Star in his second game and he's very close to tearing a game apart. Has class and danger written all over him.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mac and now Weitering both subbed at half time.

Race against the clock for next week

I’d keep Long in over Holman coming back. Seems more damaging (at least in the NT) with goals and attack on the ball. Just seemed real desperate. Him and Berry worked well.

So Day for Walter perhaps the only guaranteed change.

Could see Rogers for Johnston. Gotta keep the small forward as a speedy type. Think Johnston did quite a few good things and can only improve, but that is a fair swap if the club prefer that.

We don’t have a good enough winger to force out Fiorini and he has been decent enough this year so probably holds his spot, despite a poor showing.

So Davies, Swallow and Holman fight for 1-2 bench/sub spots.

If Mac is out I can see us shifting some players around though. Hopefully he is all good to go though with a bit of a break.

I’d keep Long in over Holman coming back. Seems more damaging (at least in the NT) with goals and attack on the ball. Just seemed real desperate. Him and Berry worked well.

So Day for Walter perhaps the only guaranteed change.

Could see Rogers for Johnston. Gotta keep the small forward as a speedy type. Think Johnston did quite a few good things and can only improve, but that is a fair swap if the club prefer that.

We don’t have a good enough winger to force out Fiorini and he has been decent enough this year so probably holds his spot, despite a poor showing.

So Davies, Swallow and Holman fight for 1-2 bench/sub spots.

If Mac is out I can see us shifting some players around though. Hopefully he is all good to go though with a bit of a break.
Davies will be a perfect match up for Crippa. Same size will limit his impact

Could Will Graham replace him? I haven’t seen enough of Graham to know if he could take that role
I wonder if Graham could play defence. He has a defensive mindset.

Not sure he has the tank for wing (yet). Maybe though. But if he went defence it might free up more attacking defenders to rotate wing or trial there for a few games to see what they can do.

Last edited:
everyone looks bad against sydney but it seems carlton are real ripe for the picking.

not much creativity getting it forward, if we can continue our overlapping run off half back we should be good to go for another win.

Anyone else and I'd say you're getting carried away but before we even drafted him I was frothing at the chance to. It's so good to see him coming in to the start of his prime. I totally agree, he is a unicorn of the kind I've never seen.

He's like the Wembanyana of AFL in the sense that the mix of skill, speed, aggression and span is like nothing I've seen. His run-down tackle on a 180cm player in an earlier game this year (can't remember which game) just looked ridiculous. He's able to close gaps and get a fist or mark where no one else could.

He's really added that final touch to the back line talls. Not sure we want for much except a running HB there.

He just reminds me of when you make a player in a video game that's overpowered and ridiculous. Call me crazy but I'm smoking the Mac pipe every weekend

Carlton are horrible outside of stoppage situations at the moment. They get absolutely cooked on turnover and we are the best intercept team in the AFL. Realistic with their injuries and poor form we need to win this. A big big test.
Just keep in mind that we're yet to win an away game this year so there's still a mental hurdle the boys need to overcome at this stage. Winning games in front of 12k people in Darwin is great, but you really need to do it in front of 40k+ opposition supporters in Melbourne to be taken seriously. This is the perfect opportunity for our boys to do exactly that and announce to the Melbourne footy public that we're here and we can win games against the big teams in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree. Andrew could be the best player in the comp, he's got that much potential.

Could Will Graham replace Fiorini? I haven’t seen enough of Graham to know if he could take that role

I want to stretch Carlton on the outside by moving Touk to the wing and dropping Fiorini. Graham could replace Touk in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rogers will play according to Dimma. Would you replace Davies with Graham?
Not sure Davies vs Graham. I think Graham will be a better player, but Davies needs a chance. He needs 5-6 games in a row to show he's worth persisting with, as he's about to get overtaken by Humpa/Graham/Lombard/Rogers etc.

Another successful trip to Darwin is complete, another easy 2-0 to pad the record. It was really noticeable to me this year how much of a drop-off in quality these Darwin games are. Its just impossible to play a really good game in sticky 30ᵒ weather. This means I don’t think we can take a lot from these games to forecast whether we are finals-ready. It was great to show that we know the conditions and that we at least have a much better midfield than Geelong. But otherwise I don’t fancy drawing conclusions. So instead I am going to look at possible selection changes and the big run of games we have coming up before the bye against Carlton, Essendon and St Kilda......
https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/05/20/darwin-in-the-rear-view-bring-on-melbourne/

Another successful trip to Darwin is complete, another easy 2-0 to pad the record. It was really noticeable to me this year how much of a drop-off in quality these Darwin games are. Its just impossible to play a really good game in sticky 30ᵒ weather. This means I don’t think we can take a lot from these games to forecast whether we are finals-ready. It was great to show that we know the conditions and that we at least have a much better midfield than Geelong. But otherwise I don’t fancy drawing conclusions. So instead I am going to look at possible selection changes and the big run of games we have coming up before the bye against Carlton, Essendon and St Kilda......
https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/05/20/darwin-in-the-rear-view-bring-on-melbourne/
Just disagree with "Its just impossible to play a really good game in sticky 30ᵒ weather."

We played a very good game on a 5 day break. Some of those link ups runs from defence were fantastic. We applied a great pressure; midfield did a fantastic job. It was a bit like against GWS in Gather round. Team worked well as a unit; one could see the system.

For sure, away game against Carlton will tell us where we really stand. We were terrible on the road except GWS game.

Hey Dimma, after 10 games it should start clicking on the road too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back