Autopsy Autopsy v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

We miss Dawson I reckon. And Goater. Not much serious run off the backline. Fisher helped when he came on but that was too late. Sheeze isn't fast enough to provide that run. He's a very good player tho. Kerch was good. Seemed to get it alot and move well when he had it. (*! Just checked and he had 32 disposals, second most on the ground.)

Goater, Hardeman and George might ultimately be the answer...

FB: Logue - WDawson - Goater
HB: Hardeman - Comben - George/Bergman

The local clubs all play on Sunday to avoid the clash. We used to play soccer on Sundays when I was at school so you could play both games.

I went to bordering school in Bendigo so lost touch with the local scene and that's why I got my boys playing for their local clubs. One day they remarked that they knew all the opposition players through school, scouts, athletics, footy, hockey and cricket. I don't think it is that important where kids play as long as they are playing

Peter Dacois once remarked to me that when he went down to Torana ( youth rehab place) none of the young men had ever played sport for a club. Getting young men involved is the important thing but your idea of forcing sporting involvement...........

You may be interested to know that the Camberwell Hockey club, Camberwell Grammar and Koonung Secondary College to build a hockey field with lights etc. The first two paid for it and the school provided the land.

The state primary schools have largely given up spor which i think is a a more important issue. My kids primary school luckily had quite a few male, sport obsessed teachers so competitive sport was played against other schools.

The main reason junior clubs have to amalgamate is families are so small so there isn't the kids.
Friend you missed t he point I’m not forcing anyone to to be involved in sports it’s private schools who are forcing kids to NOT PLAY football for public community clubs that I have an issue with. A lack of sport infrastructure at public schools is related directly to them being underfunded, if the money from our taxes went solely to public schools it wouldn’t be an issue.

Goater, Hardeman and George might ultimately be the answer...

FB: Logue - WDawson - Goater
HB: Hardeman - Comben - George/Bergman
I reckon KDawson has a place in there too. he gives us good attack and run off the backline as well as being big enough to go one on one against some KPDs.

They better start handing this out to future draftees/members.
Season 3 Help GIF by The Simpsons

I'm not even upset, mostly numb with a little sadness mixed in for flavour.
Good one Bowski, just read that nearly choked on some chocolate laughing my head off!😆

I thought we actually played a little better in patches than last week even though the scoreboard was worse.
We gift a good 6-7 goals off turnovers every game which is killing us. It's so reminiscent of Fagan's Lion's early days.
We cannot defend ball movement with pressure or consisently stick tackles inside our F50 and through the middle.
Positives were Colby, Sheez, Curtis, Zurhaar, Hardemann, Comben, Drury and Duursma.
We looked a lot better when Larkey went in the ruck so that's not great and shows X has a lot of work to do.
Our mids get very little "clean" clearances. Curtis showed what our mids lack, the power to drive out of a contest.

I do feel a bit for Clarko because there ain't much in the cupboard to bring into the side and you can't skip time.
He made some positional moves (Larkey/Biggie to ruck, Curtis, Sheezel etc.) and it had some limited success but its also takes away something dangerous or that's working from other parts of the ground.

And everybody seems to want Tucker/Stephens/Scott/Corr/LMac/Phillips/Nyuon all out of the side but I genuinely cannot see more than a 3-4 replacements in the VFL actually ready to come into the side.
Dawson and George injured. That only really leaves Archer, Bergman, Pink, Sellers and Maley (both not ready).
Greenwood, Shiels and Stephenson we've kinda tried them. Not giving much. Greenwood gives effort but is slow.
I doubt any of them could run out a full AFL game either. Whilst replacing 6-8 players in a week "to send a message" to underperforming players sounds great, just don't expect any synergy/chemistry/trust to be built then.
We're kinda stuck with some of them until we can replace them.

It was night and day how much better the midfield looked with one of Curtis or Sheezel in the middle. The reason being that those guys actually know how to read the whole play and not just the ball.

We have some good mids in there but they are one track minds (LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Powell etc). These players are useful but when you have 3 in there you're playing Russian roulette because there is no structure if the opposition win the ball.

It's a small thing but Curtis and Sheezel read who is going to win it and are a step ahead on positioning in anticipation. It makes a huge difference.

We swap them out for Simpkin and suddenly all of our guys are out of position.
Just absolutely nailed it.

Generally we stand around wondering what the * is going on way to much.

We desperately need another Chom on the forward line.

The main mids work hard defensively (Jy, LDU, Wardlaw) but only a couple of the forwards do and the wings don't as a group.

Composure and confidence is a massive issue.

Wardlaw makes stuff happen. LDU works hard but looks to be working on a more defensive game too or putting more time and effort into his opponent.

From what we've seen of them so far Dawson, Goater and or Bergman would make the backline better right now. You also bring in Logue and then things look alot better. (Provided he and Goater get back to their best footy.)

Comben can read the ball well. He seems to be learning but when he wants those contested marks that he has the ability to take and set us up off hb and when to spoil.

We miss Dawson I reckon. And Goater. Not much serious run off the backline. Fisher helped when he came on but that was too late. Sheeze isn't fast enough to provide that run. He's a very good player tho. Kerch was good. Seemed to get it alot and move well when he had it. (*! Just checked and he had 32 disposals, second most on the ground.)

Biggy is too small to be a proper KPD but was expected to be today. He's worth persisting with but is more a tall flanker or wing. There were times i was thinking I'd rather him on the wing that Tucker or Stephens. Or on the hbf with someone else playing on those bigger forwards like TW and DF. he needs to be coming in loose and intercepting not competing against a player with 5-10kg on him. Could provide more run off the backline then as well.

X works hard but seems to get in the way a bit at stoppages. Should be getting in the oppositions way instead so guys like LDU and Wardlaw can do their thing. he needs to work on creating space for them instead of winning the ball himself most of the time. Took some good marks and did some good work in defense tho.

The forward line is the real problem. There's no system, no one works to create space for other forwards and they don't defend well enough against turnovers. I'm surprised how much time and respect I've lost for Zurhaar after one game where he kicked three goals. he probably should have kicked four but its the stuff he doesn't do - that if he worked at would give his team mates another two or three goals at least. He's great when the ball is there in front of him but lazy otherwise...

If you chase out of the forward line, even tho you don't do anything much in that chase, you can be at the next contest with momentum and if we've lost it, by being on their opponent's hammer, instead of mids having to turn and chase, you're there to keep that chase up and help those mids out.
Once you see it live it’s impossible to unsee, our forward line is hell a lazy, Larkey competes but a lot of the rest just generally take up space, the lack of run or movement is a real concern, especially when you consider the make up of it, they should all be moving pushing up, creating a bunch of space but they seemly get beaten when opposition teams run the ball forward and then get beaten running back into position.

Once you see it live it’s impossible to unsee, our forward line is hell a lazy, Larkey competes but a lot of the rest just generally take up space, the lack of run or movement is a real concern, especially when you consider the make up of it, they should all be moving pushing up, creating a bunch of space but they seemly get beaten when opposition teams run the ball forward and then get beaten running back into position.
I think it's a feedback loop. The mids have just lobbed kicks to packs 15m out for 5 years and any forward who leads is out of the play.

So the forwards stop leading.

Then, without forwards leading, there's no option but to lob it up to packs 15m out.

They do lead when Sheezel gets it, though. That's like the dinner bell. They know they'll get fed and they come running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.

The lack of forward line function needs to be studied by sporting psychologists.

I think it's a feedback loop. The mids have just lobbed kicks to packs 15m out for 5 years and any forward who leads is out of the play.

So the forwards stop leading.

Then, without forwards leading, there's no option but to lob it up to packs 15m out.

They do lead when Sheezel gets it, though. That's like the dinner bell. They know they'll get fed and they come running.

Pick up Pavlov in the MSD ?

In the 3rd quarter I think we had the ball on the wing and Zuurhar was the deepest forward.
He would have been 75 metres away.
So not sure who had the footy, but our player had to run 20 and bomb it in long and as usual it got spoiled out for a throw in. If this happened at local level you would inevitably hear the senior coach yell, "LEEEEEEEEEEEEAD!" before someone gets dragged.
Now whether there is a directive for Cam to stay anchored inside 50 to provide a target, whether its our lack of or not having a genuine Centre Half Forward in the side since 2019 - whatever the message is, this s**t is embarrassing to see for a professional side.

If ever our gameplan, synergy, confidence and forward line structure has all been out of whack - this proved it.

I don't think I have ever seen an example as obvious like this at AFL level where the disconnect has been this poor.

There are genuine concerns that we will not win a game this year. Our effort, desire and intent and even having genuine pride in our performance, all these factors you cant measure on a stat sheet, but instead by watching us play. There is still a long way to go to turn this around to see us become somewhat semi-competitive.

Watching Cam stand there in front of Larkey while the ball was on the wing then not making a dummy lead to drag someone out of the congestion with him about seven times was really frustrating. I thought Curtis did okay, didn't really notice Jy doing the wrong thing but Cam, Powell and Stevens (even tho he was on the wing) just didn't do enough off the ball.

I dunno if Duursma should be playing the whole season. Just so small and gets pushed around too much. He'd easily dominate in the VFL, it might not be a bad thing to give him a shot there so he can kick a couple of bags and not get smashed as much. More for management reasons than because he should be dropped. But we'd need Harvey and Ford back before we do that cos even at his size Duursma does alot of good.

Friend you missed t he point I’m not forcing anyone to to be involved in sports it’s private schools who are forcing kids to NOT PLAY football for public community clubs that I have an issue with. A lack of sport infrastructure at public schools is related directly to them being underfunded, if the money from our taxes went solely to public schools it wouldn’t be an issue.
When you get a sporting scholarship worth thousands you have to give the school your first preference and so it is reasonable to expect those kids to miss local sport. I bet the parents prefer to save thousands than play for the Doncaster Sharks under 17s.

The VAST majority of private school kids do not have scholarships and the two private schools that my boys went to encouraged them to play with local clubs. Several of the teachers had personal connections with the local clubs that they played for as several of the teachers had their kids running for Box Hill, hockey for Box Hill and Camberwell hockey clubs and footy at Greythorn and Doncaster, all clubs my kids played for.

I don't know which private school or schools you are referring to but in my experience you are dead wrong.

We had about 60 points kicked on us that started in the oppos' backline. Massive indictment on our forwards ability to contest and defend their area.

Inside 50 tackles - 4... ******* 4!

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was night and day how much better the midfield looked with one of Curtis or Sheezel in the middle. The reason being that those guys actually know how to read the whole play and not just the ball.

We have some good mids in there but they are one track minds (LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Powell etc). These players are useful but when you have 3 in there you're playing Russian roulette because there is no structure if the opposition win the ball.

It's a small thing but Curtis and Sheezel read who is going to win it and are a step ahead on positioning in anticipation. It makes a huge difference.

We swap them out for Simpkin and suddenly all of our guys are out of position.
Other teams play their small fowards thru the centre and it works, when we do that it works too. But it means we have mids playing as forwards and that doesn't work, too many square pegs and round holes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back