Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

That the “future looks bright” spill?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You realise we’re in the middle of our worst period in history? None of us has witnessed this misery. If you had said we are about to experience the worst 4 years ever in September 2019, who would have thought

Garry, Derm and J. Brown I’ve always found to be fair. Especially Gaz. I like Lloyd too. Bucks not as much.

Disliked Kornes up until last year but now I don’t mind him, he actually makes some solid points. Caro, never. Damo’s probably lost at this point, I don’t think he’ll ever have a good word to say. Seems quite bitter. (Although 6 years of your team being absolute a___ will probably do that to you).
Gerard and to a lesser extent Robbo, think I’m over. Just because Gerard is everywhere, every night on 360, mornings on SEN. Too much.

Either way, that panel made some sense yesterday whether ppl choose to acknowledge it or not. Our on-field performances aren’t shutting our detractors up. And haven’t been for years. They weren’t scathing and I didn’t think they were salivating to sink the boots in, just pointed out a couple truths.

You realise we’re in the middle of our worst period in history? None of us has witnessed this misery. If you had said we are about to experience the worst 4 years ever in September 2019, who would have thought

I had us penciled in for at least one grand final appearance (by now) in September 2019

You may be right. My memory is vague, but I thought that the end of the '60s and the beginning of the '70s was as bad if not worse. We had two years at the bottom of the ladder and two years when we finished a few places higher.

You may be right. My memory is vague, but I thought that the end of the '60s and the beginning of the '70s was as bad if not worse. We had two years at the bottom of the ladder and two years when we finished a few places higher.

1960-1970

I think we averaged anywhere from 3-8 wins.

Only finished on the bottom a couple of times I think- including last in 1970 and 1972 (1 win)

Preseaon most had us penciled in for a 1-5 start. Not much has changed from that.
  • Everyone we’ve played so far remains unbeaten
  • We have the hardest draw for the first six games
  • But we’re 12th for points kicked, including 4 teams above us who have played an extra game.
  • Carlton’s pressure last Friday was in top 10 personal best
  • 5 teams haven’t won a game yet either.
  • We’ll lose the next two, the Geelong game will be our biggest loss, things will heat up but then the wins start.
  • We’re going to end the season with 5 or 6 wins. As predicted by most.
  • We are the youngest team
People are behaving like the bus has rolled over. Relax.

Last edited:
If the old lady North supporter who was screaming at the TV in the Marvel Kids Zone at the stadium reads this Board….

1. Your interpretation of the the holding the ball rule ignores both the laws of the game and the laws of physics.

2. Pull your head in, your deranged behaviour was scaring small children who were just trying to colour in a picture of Spider-Man.

Otherwise, to the 99.9% of you who are no doubt just normal fans…good luck for the season, there are some decent kids on your list. Reasons for optimism for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the old lady North supporter who was screaming at the TV in the Marvel Kids Zone at the stadium reads this Board….

1. Your interpretation of the the holding the ball rule ignores both the laws of the game and the laws of physics.

2. Pull your head in, your deranged behaviour was scaring small children who were just trying to colour in a picture of Spider-Man.

Otherwise, to the 99.9% of you who are no doubt just normal fans…good luck for the season, there are some decent kids on your list. Reasons for optimism for sure.
Another Carlton supporter who thinks they didn't get enough free kicks on the weekend. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah cos we’ve fixed that with Pink, Nyoun (not picked), Chom (not picked) and Corr (being destroyed).
So much better now, I forgot.
I’d love to hear your elevator pitch to a seasoned defender? Come over to north for a few years, I swear it won’t be career killing playing back along side a bunch of kids, with such an inexperienced midfield defending up the ground, I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Out of that list I see only Chom playing the last weekend of sept, it’s a shame Logue went down with a knee. He’d be handy about now. but unfortunately, we were left with no-one, we required ready to go, stop gap for a couple of years. It’s who we when out and got while we draft or trade in when we improve.
It’s just reality.

Last edited:

Why would you post this crap here you moronic flog?

One of the highlights of watching NM was seeing Spud dash out of the d50 and kick a ripping 55m drop punt to one of our forwards.

They both make the current crop look like 2nds players from Nilma Darnum,although I like the look of Dawson.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Poor darnos... Did mel michaul ever play magoos while he was there???

Garry, Derm and J. Brown I’ve always found to be fair. Especially Gaz. I like Lloyd too. Bucks not as much.

Disliked Kornes up until last year but now I don’t mind him, he actually makes some solid points. Caro, never. Damo’s probably lost at this point, I don’t think he’ll ever have a good word to say. Seems quite bitter. (Although 6 years of your team being absolute a___ will probably do that to you).
Gerard and to a lesser extent Robbo, think I’m over. Just because Gerard is everywhere, every night on 360, mornings on SEN. Too much.

Either way, that panel made some sense yesterday whether ppl choose to acknowledge it or not. Our on-field performances aren’t shutting our detractors up. And haven’t been for years. They weren’t scathing and I didn’t think they were salivating to sink the boots in, just pointed out a couple truths.
I would like to see this panel discussion.

I’d love to hear your elevator pitch to a seasoned defender? Come over to north for a few years, I swear it won’t be career killing playing back along side a bunch of kids, with such an inexperienced midfield defending up the ground, I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Out of that list I see only Chom playing the last weekend of sept, it’s a shame Logue went down with a knee. He’d be handy about now. but unfortunately, we were left with no-one, we required ready to go, stop gap for a couple of years. It’s who we when out and got while we draft or trade in when we improve.
It’s just reality.

Biggie might be a way off it, but so is Pink - and maybe this is his ceiling, but there he is playing. Chom should already be there. Greenwood could play there for a couple years without ruining his career.
Play them together. Surely they’d help each other? Even one bigger body so Corr takes the 2nd/3rd…?

The defence in the 2’s actually looks heartening as others have pointed to, I’ll agree with that.

I’m just thinking that we accept players who aren’t ready learning their roles in other areas of the ground, maybe we could give some of these defenders a bit of experience too? Then they could grow together. McKercher and Duursma came straight in, how are they any more ready than all of the defenders on our list? Is it their draft numbers? Larkey was taken in the 70’s. Got better playing next to BBB and here we are. It’s not rocket science.

We seem to not only have a losing culture, but a “don’t even think winning is ever possible at all” culture. No other club but West Coast has this attitude. Our acceptance of just going through the year with a backline that we don’t even attempt to address on gameday is symptomatic of that.

All I’m saying is there are better options than just sitting on our hands accepting that we’re going to be destroyed every weekend. Surely we can do better.

(Fwiw a pitch to a couple of bigger bodied, young-ish defenders from other clubs in the off-season wouldn’t have been an impossible task)

Biggie might be a way off it, but so is Pink - and maybe this is his ceiling, but there he is playing. Chom should already be there. Greenwood could play there for a couple years without ruining his career.
Play them together. Surely they’d help each other? Even one bigger body so Corr takes the 2nd/3rd…?

The defence in the 2’s actually looks heartening as others have pointed to, I’ll agree with that.

I’m just thinking that we accept players who aren’t ready learning their roles in other areas of the ground, maybe we could give some of these defenders a bit of experience too? Then they could grow together. McKercher and Duursma came straight in, how are they any more ready than all of the defenders on our list?

Is it their draft numbers? Larkey was taken in the 70’s. Got better playing next to BBB and here we are. It’s not rocket science.

We seem to not only have a losing culture, but a “don’t even think winning is ever possible at all” culture. No other club but West Coast has this attitude. Our acceptance of just going through the year with a backline that we don’t even attempt to address on gameday is symptomatic of that.

All I’m saying is there are better options than just sitting on our hands accepting that we’re going to be destroyed every weekend. Surely we can do better.

(Fwiw a pitch to a couple of bigger bodied, young-ish defenders from other clubs in the off-season wouldn’t have been an impossible task)
It’s a long season and I highly doubt who lined up on the weekend is who’ll we’ll see at the end of the season, I think we’ll see a swap of vfl/afl.

I think we’re rebuilding from the bottom up and that starts through a very strong vfl programme. Best part about it, once Chom plays in the afl, we’ll still have a half decent defender to drop. No more 190cm Boner going up and down to play key defence post.

* off Soprano.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you need to consider the possibility that Clarko isn't that worried about wins in 2023. He may coach those moments very differently if he had a team that were genuine contenders.

If you’re not coaching for wins what are you coaching for?

It’s been like 6 ******* years, when are we gonna stop waiting and start contending or are we just putting blokes on a field every weekend for a trial run to get experience in the boots as an experiment in seeing how long a footy team can go with never winning a game of footy but boy they sure do try, they’ll get their experience soon!

Ridiculous logic. I'm sure the last 3 coaches we had had the same mindset 'not concerned about wins, just gotta finish the rebuild'.

Okay yeah still waiting. 3 coaches and many seasons later.

You agreed that if the midfield collapses it's not possible to win in the first place. Perhaps the midfield not collapsing should be the primary concern then see how the backline is looking....

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The club hasn't given a s**t about the backline since Thompson and Tarrant left the club. It's been all in on the midfield drafting players on players. Still nowhere after all this time.

The team sucks on every front.

If you’re not coaching for wins what are you coaching for?

It’s been like 6 ******* years, when are we gonna stop waiting and start contending or are we just putting blokes on a field every weekend for a trial run to get experience in the boots as an experiment in seeing how long a footy team can go with never winning a game of footy but boy they sure do try, they’ll get their experience soon!

Ridiculous logic. I'm sure the last 3 coaches we had had the same mindset 'not concerned about wins, just gotta finish the rebuild'.

Okay yeah still waiting. 3 coaches and many seasons later.

The club hasn't given a s**t about the backline since Thompson and Tarrant left the club. It's been all in on the midfield drafting players on players. Still nowhere after all this time.

The team sucks on every front.
He’s coaching for a mythical point in the next 3-4 years where it will all just happen and, bang, we win 16 games.

If we’re no worse this year and we are younger and have a plan to build up our defence with three blokes who currently aren’t in their yet Dawson Chom and Logue - then you’d have to say we are in a much better position. These blokes will play lots of footy together - that’s what will make us successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back