Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Instead of the afl making comments on the umpires decisions maybe clubs should ask the afl to make the officiating umpires available to explain their decisions with the clubs during the week...Or is that asking to much?

The problem is you could probable point to all free kicks paid against us and say they were all technically correct - the issue is consistency with what they pay (or don't pay) against the opposition and in other games

The problem is you could probable point to all free kicks paid against us and say they were all technically correct - the issue is consistency with what they pay (or don't pay) against the opposition and in other games
It’s all by design.

Keep enough grey in there so they can’t be called out for what is pathetic officiating.

Any rule that is effectively correct or incorrect or grey enough to be right or wrong is sheer stupidity and our game has plenty of them.

I get annoyed by this commentary, I find it lazy and simplistic and it's probably why the SFS crew gravitate to it.

What we were meant to do? We offered McKay a contract which he chose not to accept and then we received above market rates for compensation. As a result it would have been the worst list management decision in history if we targeted another free agent.

Knowing this, they did the best with what limited options were available.
1. Picked up best mature age tall defender from state league - (Pink)
2. Picked up speculative tall defender from Tigers on the cheap - (Biggie)
3. Trialed another tall down back from our forward line to strengthen this zone - (Comben)
4. Trade for a quick half back flanker who can distribute - (Fisher)
5. Draft best tall defender in the draft at our first available pick outside of Duursma and Colby - (W Dawson)

We have done a power of work in strengthening up our back half of the ground, but if we don't get pressure on the ball then it won't matter if we have the best back 6 in the comp.

I agree with the sentiment, however, list management isn't a one pre-season affair.

I am okay with the players we have on the list now, but we should have had developing KPDs a lot earlier, when we lost Thompson, Hansen and Tarrant we had McKay, Durdin and other 190ish cm defenders on the list for a few years and most of that depth was first round pick players.

We just had a lack of investment for too long and the cupboard was bare before we lost McKay and Logue went down with an ACL.

We just can't expect Johnny Noname to come good on the back of one pre-season after playing in the amateur league last year. Unless Clarkson was there for the last three years saying don't pick up KPDs then it isn't his fault, it is just the bag of s**t he has to deal with.

Arrgghh if you want to keep your hair and maintain any positivity, I do not recommend watching the replay with an eye on how our mids moved from the stoppage. The Carlton mids outworked us both hecking ways. Wardlaw is the only one I excuse because he was often actually laying a tackle so has an excuse for lagging behind once the contest was lost.

sort of makes me question what a tackle actually consists of, for example he laid 2 tackles in 15 seconds just prior to the sleevo getting caught HTB, does it actually have to result in a free to be determined effective?
No. It's using physical contact to stop the player getting an effective disposal.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Logue may not fix everything either but him coming in means everyone else steps down a cog, and playing on a little less quality forward. In theory anyway.
I don't want Logue taking the best forward, I want him on the 3rd banana, leaving his man to spoil everything Dawson and co can't...

Having him organising the defence will be a shot in the arm, but I'm not expecting massive improvement until after full preseason training.

I can't wait to have him back.

Scooter and Spud were massively underrated.

They were better than workman like.
One of the highlights of watching NM was seeing Spud dash out of the d50 and kick a ripping 55m drop punt to one of our forwards.

They both make the current crop look like 2nds players from Nilma Darnum,although I like the look of Dawson.

Surely Will Dawson has excited you with his start to his career. Looks miles ahead of McKay at the same stage of his career.

I also didn't even mention Hardeman who we also drafted who is a defender.
We've also been developing George, a player speculated to be a top-10 pick before his knee, in a defensive role in the VFL. Injuries to Goater and Bergs have limited options as well.

Can't just click our fingers and magic up a premiership backline!

I guess it’s just disappointing that we haven’t really addressed the holes on our list. We go into the season knowing we have no backline. We go into the Carlton game knowing McKay and Curnow will monster us. It’s going to happen every week. To me it’s just a waste of a year.
Did anyone watch the Sunday Footy Show and see what they said? I completely agreed.
What did FS say?

What did FS say?

Trying to find the clip but basically it was asked “are North any better this year than last year?” to which most said no. Then they said we have no backline and even if we recruit next year they’ll essentially be out of sync with the age of our maturing midfielders. I think Korne mentioned the Phillips/McDonald thing again.
Barrett was pretty down on the team too but I guess that’s normal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instead of the afl making comments on the umpires decisions maybe clubs should ask the afl to make the officiating umpires available to explain their decisions with the clubs during the week...Or is that asking to much?
Even better would be post match pressure conferences from the umpires.

Even better would be post match pressure conferences from the umpires.
The issue with that is that the media are not allowed to show criticism towards umpires and by asking questions that require explainations it will be looked like that. Best to have the umpires explain decisions to the club behind closed doors enevthough it may not suit the supporters.

The issue with that is that the media are not allowed to show criticism towards umpires and by asking questions that require explainations it will be looked like that. Best to have the umpires explain decisions to the club behind closed doors enevthough it may not suit the supporters.

None can be criticised anymore…… it’ll be seen as “targeting”

Unless you’re a player or coach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A couple of years ago we had Boner playing on McKay because we had no one available over 190cm in the reserves.
Turn off the tv, it’ll rot your brain.

Oh yeah cos we’ve fixed that with Pink, Nyoun (not picked), Chom (not picked) and Corr (being destroyed).
So much better now, I forgot.

Trying to find the clip but basically it was asked “are North any better this year than last year?” to which most said no. Then they said we have no backline and even if we recruit next year they’ll essentially be out of sync with the age of our maturing midfielders. I think Korne mentioned the Phillips/McDonald thing again.
Barrett was pretty down on the team too but I guess that’s normal.
We will not be better than last year until they're arguing about not giving us picks come end of season, when we definitely are on the improve.

Did you see it?

So you think we’re better than last year and you think we have a backline?
I refuse to engage with any media featuring Barrett, Kornes, Caro, Jabba, Whately and am much better off for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back