Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't win games of footy until the senior players step up to the plate but what I absolutely love is at any dull moment of the game just watching McKercher take the game on and glide across the turf like he's a 200 game player is orgasmic. Witnessing Wardlaw nail another big bodied midfielder once more and cause headaches gets me off my seat.

It's these guys that keep my hopes going. They are the future.

Jy, McKay, TT were handy first rounders that developed well. I don't see your point, Philips is the only one that's not a success and that's still a work in progress....

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im not talking about development of players or that our players cant football. Its about their age profile and experience.
Ok add in those two, so now we go back to 2015 draft and McKay = Duursma.

So 2015,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Being poor all that time you'd expect we add 1 good first rounder to the list every year.
Jy being in his 8th season
1 player 7th season
1 player 6th season and so on

But ours for a few reasons, we have most of our high end picks lacking experience. Not their fault of course.

15 - Mckay
16 - Jy
17 - LDU
18 - TT - Gone for nothing
19 - Sold it for a pick in the 20 draft (so this player has 1 year less AFL development)
20 - Phillips and Powell (is the 19 pick)
21 - JHF gone for Wardlaw (who again has one less year AFL experience)
22 - Sheez and Warlaw (injured so took extra time to get going)
23 - McKercher and Duursma

If it were 1 player each season then we'd have 9 high end picks with 5 in their 5th year or more. Phillips hasnt proven he can make the grade yet, yes im hopeful and we need him to make it. However he's in his 4th year and not contributing to the best 22 yet.
Instead of 9 players spread out over 9 drafts we've ended up with 7 players and 4 of those and in their first or second seasons.

Thats 3 top end picks since the 15 draft. Do you know how many players are still on our list from 2015? Just 1 and thats LMac. Thats basically an entire list gone and we have 3 top picks with the AFL experience to really contribute right now.

Again my post is simply about why we've been bad for so long not that our list is bad. Our list is in the best shape its been since the early 90s. But remember it took that young early 90s team a while to make the climb up the ladder.

My father in law and I discussed this at length during the game, as we walked to Flinders St station and on the train trip home...

On many (most) occasions when tackled, North players attempted to legitimately dispose of the ball. A few times they got a fist to the ball and often, they didn't. But they were frequently pinged regardless. Carlton players rarely tried to dispose of the ball and they often dropped as you mentioned. They seemed to be rarely pinged.

UMPIRES if you are reading - you have this entirely the wrong way around. If a player has prior, gets tackled and makes an immediate genuine attempt to legitimately dispose of the ball then it's play on. If they cuddle the ball in and drop then they have not made an attempt to dispose of the ball and that is holding the ball.

Oh, and Nick Larkey would like a quiet word about prior opportunity while you're still listening.
One of the other thing I noticed was Carlton players with the ball spinning backward into a tackle.
I think this is done so they can then drop and not look like they have killed the ball by diving on it.
Xerri tackle on the center on the running Carlton player was like this.
I say if you have time to spin you had prior opportunity.
Still can't believe that wasn't paid HTB.

And I've one more, who in their right mind thinks a backline of McKercher , Sheezel and Fisher will ever work.
Which one is capable of actually locking down, the answer is none of them.
It isn't their bag.
Get McKercher out of there FFS.

Earn your money Als Clarkon
Who goes in there instead TAO? Goater is out, Riley isn't ready, Archer isn't quite right yet...

Our senior options can't do it either. They can't kick. Clarko has a lot of work to do with very little wiggle room.

Im not talking about development of players or that our players cant football. It’s about their age profile and experience.
Ok add in those two, so now we go back to 2015 draft and McKay = Duursma.

So 2015,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Being poor all that time you'd expect we add 1 good first rounder to the list every year.
Jy being in his 8th season
1 player 7th season
1 player 6th season and so on

But ours for a few reasons, we have most of our high end picks lacking experience. Not their fault of course.

15 - Mckay
16 - Jy
17 - LDU
18 - TT - Gone for nothing
19 - Sold it for a pick in the 20 draft (so this player has 1 year less AFL development)
20 - Phillips and Powell (is the 19 pick)
21 - JHF gone for Wardlaw (who again has one less year AFL experience)
22 - Sheez and Warlaw (injured so took extra time to get going)
23 - McKercher and Duursma

If it were 1 player each season then we'd have 9 high end picks with 5 in their 5th year or more. Phillips hasnt proven he can make the grade yet, yes im hopeful and we need him to make it. However he's in his 4th year and not contributing to the best 22 yet.
Instead of 9 players spread out over 9 drafts we've ended up with 7 players and 4 of those and in their first or second seasons.

Thats 3 top end picks since the 15 draft. Do you know how many players are still on our list from 2015? Just 1 and thats LMac. Thats basically an entire list gone and we have 3 top picks with the AFL experience to really contribute right now.

Again my post is simply about why we've been bad for so long not that our list is bad. Our list is in the best shape its been since the early 90s. But remember it took that young early 90s team a while to make the climb up the ladder.

Exactly and that’s why these ones we have kept have to transition to elite or we will be sitting here in 2034 doing wash, rinse, repeat lists

It’s not that hard. How can 50k supporters from the stands see blatant free kicks, yet 4 guys within 50 metres of the action miss it?

The Carlton throws missed (I use that word facetiously) were just let go. It could have been nothing other than umpires ignoring the infringement because they were all in plain site.

The sport is ****ed. It’s not about fair competition at all, it’s about the AFL making as much money as they can, which in broad terms means appeasing the big clubs in any way they can. Which starts by using grey areas to give them a leg up.

The AFL have engineered the game so much that they have even prevented it being called out.

It’s not an accident that the same rule is interpreted differently depending on jumper. It’s how they want it, bring in the grey so the umpires can work within it to help get the results they need.

The disallowed goal was the cherry on top. How many have those calls been made by an umpire who was on the other side of the play and didn’t have a clear view of it this year? Absolutely none. Maybe it was technically there, just like the numerous Carlton throws that resulted in goals were there but ignored.

No Doubt Yes GIF by The3Flamingos

Exactly and that’s why these ones we have kept have to transition to elite or we will be sitting here in 2034 doing wash, rinse, repeat lists
Well getting a group like the last two years helps a lot, but for all out pain that group is just starting.
Of course these still lots of other talent on the list outside those top picks, but every club got those or better (their firsts rounders being before our second rounders).

Reckon we could find a forward who can compete in the air or nah?
larkey is soo bad when it comes to 1-1 contested marking forward, his ability to read the where balls gonna drop and protect space is shocking. on the lead and charging into space he’s virtually unstoppable. paul curtis is our best marking forward, has actual power and can stand his ground too. also is very smart in marking contests. only need to look at his mark against vlaustin his first year.

With all due respect I don't think many thought we'd win.

I know why I'm pissy I though can't talk for others .

Scott - should be on a wing but lost out to Stephens .
CCJ - didn't deserve a game
Finbar - isn't ready. What he's not 2 kicks ready, what is the bar for a rookie.
Ford - sub, why
stephenson - regardless of individual thoughts of him, he's been trash and shouldn't be playing.
Tucker - wtf
I am fairly sure the majority of posters would agree we cannot play Dawson, Pink amd Corr in the same side.
Now im not suggesting I have the answers, that isn't my job. My job is to ask the questions.
LDU and Powell offer nothing going the other way. Apparently we know that but wtf are we doing about it.

Selection will be interesting or I feel it should be for our next clash.
"LDU offers nothing going the other way"

I thought I'd check this out, and it turns out it's a little bit off the mark.
Courtesy of AFL stats-

Not only does he pressure, but he is the 3rd best in the AFL for pressuring in the defensive half of the ground.

And top 10 for pressure acts in total.

Tackles are down this season, but that will work itself out over the season as he usually averages around 4.5-5 a game

Lazy campaigner Screenshot_20240330_215153_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20240330_215517_AFL.jpg

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just on the throwing thing as i watch Essendon get a goal on the back of one. I wonder why when a player is low and flicks it up its a throw but if they do the same at waste height its play on. The ball its still going up from the action of one hand, never understood why the difference.
The ones that do my head in are the over-the-shoulder lobs that are bio-mechanically impossible to pull off if they were deemed to be propelled by a fist.

Apparently Dermie said on the radio that one particular umpire gave 9 free kicks against us in a row, some very questionable ones too. He stopped short of saying he was cheating but did say it should be looked into. I didn't hear it but one of my family members (Eagle supporter) did.
If correct that is extraordinary

"LDU offers nothing going the other way"

I thought I'd check this out, and it turns out it's a little bit off the mark.
Courtesy of AFL stats-

Not only does he pressure, but he is the 3rd best in the AFL for pressuring in the defensive half of the ground.

And top 10 for pressure acts in total.

Tackles are down this season, but that will work itself out over the season as he usually averages around 4.5-5 a game

Lazy campaigner View attachment 1944671View attachment 1944672

This is good shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is good s**t.
It's puts a few things into perspective...

As maniacal as Wardlaw is, LDU has had 3 less tackles, 3 less pressure acts, and 26 more defensive half pressure acts in the first 3 games.

George is putting more pressure on forward of centre, LDU in the back half.
Clarko rounding out their games?

We need to replace the following if are wanting to play finals on the foreseeable horizon:

• Stephenson (an actual pressure crumbing forward)
  • Stephens (another wing that runs both ways)
  • Tucker (a running utility)
  • McDonald (Hardeman)
  • Fisher (a running halfback that can actually defend)
  • Pink (w. Dawson)

You forgot Corr

FWIW LDU looked ok defensively speaking. He applies enough pressure.

Just didn't look as prolific offensively and it was Carlton's defensive mechanisms stopping him from doing that. They put the hard mitigation on him and did their homework.

it was a missed opportunity for us to get some ascendency in patches of the match. Carlton weren't exactly invincible behind the ball. They had to be bringing numbers forward from behind the contest to overwhelm our young midfield. If there was a turnover, our forward line would look pretty open.

Have just re-watched Q1. Umpiring was vile. Worse than I thought to be honest.
Let us know your blood pressure in the third quarter. I'm not the type to rage at umpiring, but my wall was getting concerned I was going to do a Clarko.

It's puts a few things into perspective...

As maniacal as Wardlaw is, LDU has had 3 less tackles, 3 less pressure acts, and 26 more defensive half pressure acts in the first 3 games.

George is putting more pressure on forward of centre, LDU in the back half.
Clarko rounding out their games?

sort of makes me question what a tackle actually consists of, for example he laid 2 tackles in 15 seconds just prior to the sleevo getting caught HTB, does it actually have to result in a free to be determined effective?

I guess it’s just disappointing that we haven’t really addressed the holes on our list. We go into the season knowing we have no backline. We go into the Carlton game knowing McKay and Curnow will monster us. It’s going to happen every week. To me it’s just a waste of a year.
Did anyone watch the Sunday Footy Show and see what they said? I completely agreed.

Let us know your blood pressure in the third quarter. I'm not the type to rage at umpiring, but my wall was getting concerned I was going to do a Clarko.
The third quarter umpiring was diabolical. The HTB frees paid against North were atrocious - instantly pinged. The other way, well we got nothing.

I don't think I will watch the fourth.

I guess it’s just disappointing that we haven’t really addressed the holes on our list. We go into the season knowing we have no backline. We go into the Carlton game knowing McKay and Curnow will monster us. It’s going to happen every week. To me it’s just a waste of a year.
Did anyone watch the Sunday Footy Show and see what they said? I completely agreed.
I get annoyed by this commentary, I find it lazy and simplistic and it's probably why the SFS crew gravitate to it.

What we were meant to do? We offered McKay a contract which he chose not to accept and then we received above market rates for compensation. As a result it would have been the worst list management decision in history if we targeted another free agent.

Knowing this, they did the best with what limited options were available.
1. Picked up best mature age tall defender from state league - (Pink)
2. Picked up speculative tall defender from Tigers on the cheap - (Biggie)
3. Trialed another tall down back from our forward line to strengthen this zone - (Comben)
4. Trade for a quick half back flanker who can distribute - (Fisher)
5. Draft best tall defender in the draft at our first available pick outside of Duursma and Colby - (W Dawson)

We have done a power of work in strengthening up our back half of the ground, but if we don't get pressure on the ball then it won't matter if we have the best back 6 in the comp.

ease up. we took the draft capital from mcKay and spent it on a potential 200 gamer in Duursma, but followed up by taking the best available KPD in Wil Dawson, and hedged bets with Nyuon and Pink, and trialling Chom at CHB

Other than giving McKay a 50 year contract on $2 million a year, I don't honestly know what else could be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back