Autopsy Autopsy v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Took me a day or so to get too the end of the thread and see if anyone else had noticed this....

In the last few presser's I've heard Clarko refer to other clubs recruiting topliner's into their side who've made a big difference. May & Lever previously I think, then Daeson and Rankine yesterday. He then intimated we'd be doing something similar....

Surely the club can't be naive enough to think we'd be able to do the same? We have to be honest with ourselves, we will struggle to attract A Grade talent even (if ever again) when we're successful. We don't get to play in front of big crowds or provide enough exposure for players.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We need to look at players that while they are not currently A grade they do show the talent to be it and cant get a game with the club they are playing for..

But we actually had responses with Noble where as we are not getting jack s**t this time around. Which makes me cringe
Noble had Jack, Cunners, Goldie to some extent, and a smattering of other players with some ticker, and some size to back it up. The only players we have with any grunt in them (I cleaned that up) don't have the physical development to be able to make it count (YET).

I know modern football is not the same as it was even 5 years ago, but courage, determination and hating to lose will still lift an average footballer above an athlete, a running machine, or a talented squib.

It was night and day how much better the midfield looked with one of Curtis or Sheezel in the middle. The reason being that those guys actually know how to read the whole play and not just the ball.

We have some good mids in there but they are one track minds (LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Powell etc). These players are useful but when you have 3 in there you're playing Russian roulette because there is no structure if the opposition win the ball.

It's a small thing but Curtis and Sheezel read who is going to win it and are a step ahead on positioning in anticipation. It makes a huge difference.

We swap them out for Simpkin and suddenly all of our guys are out of position.
I agree, and would add that PC has been more effective in the middle that Bull has ever been.

I reckon KDawson has a place in there too. he gives us good attack and run off the backline as well as being big enough to go one on one against some KPDs.
Absolutely. If we had Griff and Chom down there, I'd pick KDaws (early Daws?) before Corr all day any day. Young Daws can develop and replace any one of them in time.

If you wanted an illustration of why our transition defensive is poor all it takes is one player that doesn't want to work hard running back:

2024-04-28 19 58 53.jpg 2024-04-28 20 03 23.jpg 2024-04-28 20 06 44.jpg 2024-04-28 20 20 53.jpg 2024-04-28 20 25 08.jpg

This is just lack of defensive awareness, yes TP could've handballed to a Wardlaw as the spare man but even when tackled, he could've held the ball as he just received it instead of the risky handball:
2024-04-28 22 00 53.jpg 2024-04-28 22 01 21.jpg 2024-04-28 22 13 13.jpg

This one is just a 1st gamer making a mistake with his instincts to intercept, he could have sprinted back after the mark but no communication, no awareness from the other defenders once he left Keays? And l'm sorry, Simpkin's defensive workrate is poor.
2024-04-28 20 46 56.jpg 2024-04-28 20 49 41.jpg 2024-04-28 21 19 32.jpg

I could break down clips and sequence that could fillup this forum as this shite happens every week, some is lack of defensive awareness and positioning but a lot is workrate!

Last edited:
LMac's opening few minutes were a sight to behold - outmarked 1 on 1; missed a tackle that resulted in a goal; kicked out on the full.

What are this bloke's KPI's? Get through the game without losing his shorts? Able to have a laugh after the siren? FMD!
I have heard that tying shoelaces correctly is his one and only KPI

I was at the ground v Adelaide and geez Biggie gets lost easily.

I thought he was atrocious v Hawthorn, with Chol tearing him up. But he had a limp at times so prepared to give him a mulligan.

Two in a row he’s been awful. He just ran down the middle of the ground multiple times while the Crows lead around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noble had Jack, Cunners, Goldie to some extent, and a smattering of other players with some ticker, and some size to back it up. The only players we have with any grunt in them (I cleaned that up) don't have the physical development to be able to make it count (YET).

I know modern football is not the same as it was even 5 years ago, but courage, determination and hating to lose will still lift an average footballer above an athlete, a running machine, or a talented squib.

The courage & determination doesn’t always have to be rough either - it can just be holding onto the tackle for dear life, or because you were running for the ball it means you were there for the tackle when the opposition collected.

Stephenson, Stephens, Biggie, Fisher, Tucker, Scott all fit the category of being great at running or kicking but not being a physically determined player. They don’t get body on body, they get pushed away out of the contest.

I don’t think McKercher is either but my comparison for him is Roberts @ Sydney. Roberts continually gets knocked and pushed aside and has missed tackles, but he’s 1/22 and he’s covered by the other Swans, so his problems aren’t highlighted, and his strength (kicking) is. McKercher & Roberts will both get stronger and build a bigger body, but right now one is protected & one isn’t, because one has senior players who avoid looking out for him.

If you wanted an illustration of why our transition defensive is poor all it takes is one player that doesn't want to work hard running back:

View attachment 1974015View attachment 1974017View attachment 1974018View attachment 1974019View attachment 1974020

This is just lack of defensive awareness, yes TP could've handballed to a Wardlaw as the spare man but even when tackled, he could've held the ball as he just received it instead of the risky handball:
View attachment 1974077View attachment 1974078View attachment 1974079

This one is just a 1st gamer making a mistake with his instincts to intercept, he could have sprinted back after the mark but no communication, no awareness from the other defenders once he left Keays? And l'm sorry, Simpkin's defensive workrate is poor.
View attachment 1974083View attachment 1974084View attachment 1974085

I could break down clips and sequence that could fillup this forum as this shite happens every week, some is lack of defensive awareness and positioning but a lot is workrate!

Excellent work mate.

OK. Birthday weekends over. Kids are at school. Fiancee is at work. Time to cop the whack and watch. I swore I would watch every game of this disaster of a season.

Pregame positive for me is we kicked 80 points. We only did that a handful of times last year.

Im a sadist. Or a masochist. Or both???

OK. Birthday weekends over. Kids are at school. Fiancee is at work. Time to cop the whack and watch. I swore I would watch every game of this disaster of a season.

Pregame positive for me is we kicked 80 points. We only did that a handful of times last year.

You're no " Psikick " That's for sure.

Last edited:

Diary Entry #2580

The Brady

We need to look at players that while they are not currently A grade they do show the talent to be it and cant get a game with the club they are playing for..
That’s how we are in this current mess. Brady Rawlings and his fetish for going after C Graders and offering them big contracts has killed this list.

As hard as it’s going to be we need to be only chasing proven AFL standard talent. I don’t mind the odd speculative pick at a player that is in the fringe of an AFL club that is ripping it up at the level below but can’t get a run because the side is stacked with that type of player already.

We really need to stop the CCJ, Fisher and Stephens type deals and either chase the top end or grow organically.

Too many cast offs that clog the list. Take the pain and build the list properly, instead of this half baked approach of hoping to fix it with blokes that struggle at other clubs. They struggle for a reason.

I can only assume I enter some sort of catatonic state when I watch North at centre bounces. All I can see is our mids getting slaughtered at the ball-ups. However, when I view the centre clearances after the match, it shows we broke even

That’s how we are in this current mess. Brady Rawlings and his fetish for going after C Graders and offering them big contracts has killed this list.

We really need to stop the CCJ, Fisher and Stephens type deals and either chase the top end or grow organically.

Too many cast offs that clog the list. Take the pain and build the list properly, instead of this half baked approach of hoping to fix it with blokes that struggle at other clubs. They struggle for a reason.
Good clubs dont usually give away A + players although there are some exceptions but good old Brady seems to be able to scrape the bottom of other teams barrels and make them wear the Kangaroos jumper and think its a good idea to give them long contracts.
Its time for the heat to come on him for the :poo: house decisions he has made. Its no wonder the Eagles were happy to see the back of him. It not really a coincidence that they are still recovering from what he did there too

I can only assume I enter some sort of catatonic state when I watch North at centre bounces. All I can see is our mids getting slaughtered at the ball-ups. However, when I view the centre clearances after the match, it shows we broke even
That's because the oppo waltz it out, and our clearances are under immense heat.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would it be a cheap shot if I suggested that if North had:-

Tom Murphy
Sam Durdin
Trent Dumont
Mason Wood
Turner

Instead of:-

Fisher
Stephens
Corr
CCJ
Tucker

We’d be:-
(1) Richer.
(2) Only marginally older.
(3) Far more competitive.
(4) Have a much more coherent transition.

Last edited:
I apologise for my venting.
apology not accepted...Go stand in the corner and think of what you said! :laughv1:
Lonely Cat GIF by Abitan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back