Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 4 - Freo v Blues Sat April 6th 4:20pm AEDT (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Carlton by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Carlton by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Carlton by a lot

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You used to get reported for abuse not sure what the rule is regarding that anymore. Perhaps they have merged it together under the dissent banner.
They saw that umpire abuse was not deterred from just match day reports and subsequent fines, so upped it to on field team penalties.
Seems to have done the job for the most part.
Clark seemed to have not got the memo.

On the fox audio he said, "You, mate!" which is what they say when they hand over. But I take back what I said about danster.

Yeah there was no touched call. You’d be ballsy to call it touched and if it were touched it was so feint that you couldn’t expect an umpire to reasonably detect it, let alone call them a cheat over it.

Come on mate. if the roles were reversed, surely you can understand? Not only was the Cottrell decision wrong but the dissent decision was simply not on in the moment. Not all moments are the same.

Who cares - they played slow boring football and lost to a superior team. Nothing more to be said.

Cottrell decision wrong you say - thats your opinion.

Let the melts continue to our superiority

I doubt the MMM audio is as claimed. If it were, there would be recordings of it online by now and the Herald Sun footy site would have gone bonkers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howler of a decision cost Fremantle. It would have been a ball up and close to the Blues goal so they had a chance but it was more clogged like a Sydney Swans mid 2000's game.

It hit his arm. Bloody shocker!

Just saw it was umpire no 19 who made the dissent call. we (north) had him in many games last year and he was easily the worst umpire in the competition so it’s no surprise to me he made that decision
North didn’t need any umpiring last year. They were quite adept at humiliating themselves all on their own.
This year too, it seems.

That is also a fair comment.

I do stand by the point looking for greater consistency, though, but you're right. He might have said something totally unacceptable.
I would honestly like to hear what the umpire had to say, and the player as well in a review type of situation. I bet my bottom $$$ that players would STFU forever more

That is also a fair comment.

I do stand by the point looking for greater consistency, though, but you're right. He might have said something totally unacceptable.
The dissent rule seems to be pot luck depending on who the umpire is. There is no consistency.

Some umpires don't worry about it. They just accept that footy is an emotional game and any dissent from players is like water off a duck's back. Other umpires like this Alex Whetton midget are uptight, precious squibs who think it's cool to make themselves the back page story of a close game.

Earlier in the 4th qtr, when that Blues defender was penalised for HTB after he dragged the ball in under him, there were at least 6 Carlton players showing visible demonstrative dissent towards the umpire, but no 50m penalty was awarded. Why not?

It's just one more half-arsed rule from the AFL which usually seems to favour the high profile teams and go against the lower profile teams. At the very least, it opens the door for more match-fixing conjecture and conspiracy theories.

Nobody wants to see matches conclude like today's game. It just leaves a sour taste in the mouth for everyone watching. (Everyone except fans of the winning team. :D )

Can you imagine how you'd feel if Carlton lose the Prelim Final or Grand Final because Adam Saad uses the f-word while quietly questioning the umpire's decision after a goal is scored? It shouldn't happen. Report him. Fine him. Don't ruin the game, FFS.

Last edited:
What explaining?
Yes, it appears from replays that it was touched, but it wasn't exactly clear at the time. Having said that, players are taught to play to the whistle and that umpire dissent isn't acceptable. We stand by thr calls made by the umpires on the night.

I'd be furious at my players if they did all that, regardless of whether they were right.
Guarantee JL isn't in the rooms cuddling the boys and telling them they were robbed. He'll rip into them for being undisciplined and throwing the game away.
Loving the melts though.
Have you seen JL? He is definitely handing out cuddles. Doubt he would even rip into a intruder breaking into his house

Back