Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 4 - Dogs v Cats Sat April 6th 8:10pm AEDT (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Dogs by a lot

• Cats by a lot

• Draw

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair dinkum, how on Earth does Cripps and Neale have Brownlow medals and Bont does not?????
A superior player to both and has been for nearly a decade.

Wait until you find out that Libba hasn’t ever been picked for an AA blazer. Criminal.

Was at Southern stand so all the action was near to me in the last quarter.

As you all know, WB smashed the cats in that quarter. Bont and co were just phenomenal. Imo, there was a pivotal moment - that miss from JUH.

I'm confident that if he kicked that goal, it wasn't difficult, the dogs would have won the ball back, because they were winning everything.

JUH is iffy under pressure as we all know. He reminds me of Michael OLoughlan - MickeyO used to get wobbly but he became a consistent kicker.

JUH could be anything, but right now he’s comfortably the worst kick for goal among key forwards in the comp - and there are some pretty shitty kicks in that group.

This year he and Naughton have kicked 10 goals between them in 4 games. Cameron/Hawkins have kicked 17, Curnow/McKay have 24 (5 games), Daniher/Hipwood have 17, even Larkey has kicked 8 on his own and his team is a ******* mess.

It’s unacceptable, and my guess is we’ll have about $2m in cap space tied up in both by the end of the year.

JUH could be anything, but right now he’s comfortably the worst kick for goal among key forwards in the comp - and there are some pretty shitty kicks in that group.

This year he and Naughton have kicked 10 goals between them in 4 games. Cameron/Hawkins have kicked 17, Curnow/McKay have 24 (5 games), Daniher/Hipwood have 17, even Larkey has kicked 8 on his own and his team is a ******* mess.

It’s unacceptable, and my guess is we’ll have about $2m in cap space tied up in both by the end of the year.
Are we overrating JUH though?

Could he be anything? Why?

Eddie Betts described him as a "genuine superstar" before the game yesterday. Really??

It's very, very rare for an undersized forward to be anything more than inconsistently good. Especially one that spends so much time parked in the F50.

I mean, even Toby Greene only averages 1.5 Goals per game

If you're undersized as a forward, you've got to be great at something. I'm not convinced JUH is great at anything in particular.

Strange comments by Doggies supporters at the minute.
Whinging about the umps and Cats are an overrated team who will only make finals because of the home ground advantage.
Only played one home game so far. Beaten two teams expected to make finals (based on a lot of preseason ladder predictions) and will get found out when they face stronger opposition.

Eddie Betts described him as a "genuine superstar" before the game yesterday. Really??

It's very, very rare for an undersized forward to anything more than inconsistently good. Especially one that spends so much time parked in the F50.

If you're undersized as a forward, you've got to be great at something. I'm not convinced JUH is great at anything in particular.

Plenty of people in the media are overrating him, but they do that with everyone. I think there are about 300 superstars in a league with 800-odd players at last count.

He’s shown enough to see that he could be a great player, but only glimpses at this stage. He’ll get paid on potential as a number one pick who has shown he can play at the level, but he’ll need to start showing a lot more consistency - particularly with his goal kicking. He and Naughton still don’t have great chemistry which is concerning given how often they’ve played together. Not convinced they’re being coached particularly well, forward line isn’t cohesive and hasn’t been for a while.

It's very, very rare for an undersized forward to be anything more than inconsistently good. Especially one that spends so much time parked in the F50.

Undersized? He’s 197cm.

He’s contested marking is certainly great.

Whinging about the umps and Cats are an overrated team who will only make finals because of the home ground advantage.
Only played one home game so far. Beaten two teams expected to make finals (based on a lot of preseason ladder predictions) and will get found out when they face stronger opposition.
The only posts by dogs fans in this thread all morning have been about our key forwards. What are you on about?

Undersized? He’s 197cm.

He’s contested marking is certainly great.

I was referring more to his weight. If contested marking is your 1 Wood, then you've got to have the body to enable that.

Short version:
He's like Curnow or Cameron at the same age - without the athletic ability that they have. And it's their athletic ability that made them become superstars.

Long version:
A guy like Jeremy Cameron for example, is 196cm ish and only probably 94kg's. Curnow probably similar.

Even though he's considerably stronger and more powerful than JUH - he's still undersized for the role of deep key forward. Cameron's running is what he's great at. He also has incredible speed. That's his point of difference.
Nick Riewoldt was similar with his endurance running.
Curnow has amazing running and jumping ability and has also become a powerful man. His frame has built out to the point where could be a genuine deep key forward.

To my eye, JUH doesn't have the frame to ever use strength and power as his point of difference. He has that gangly type of frame that even if it gets heavier and stronger, it is still easy to move for defenders.
I'm not convinced he'll ever be an elite runner either.

So it will be talent alone pretty much that he will need to rely on. Don't get me wrong, he has talent - and I can see him ripping the odd game apart against a weak team with weak defenders. But I think good defenders will be able to shut him down mostly.

Last edited:
Happy with the result, but the Bulldogs have more problems than they might be letting on. Hawkins was goalless and over 100 possessions from Treloar, Bontempelli and Liberatore combined and they still couldn't win. Cats will be super tested soon with games coming up against the Lions, Blues and Demons all away!

JUH can't kick straight anything under pressure with some difficulty. If he kicked that goal, plenty of time left, mids winning everything, WB would have won. Complete domination that qtr. Tom Stewart had 8 touches in that qtr, he only had 12 before that.

It's always good to watch the game live to try appreciate a team's tactics and set up. I found the doggies hard to judge on TV. It seemed chaotic. However, I now get Bevo's plan. You have some good but underrated small players in that team who work hard so your star trio get the ball. Caleb, Bramble, Duryea, etc. Johannisen is fast as a F! Darcy looked good but should be judged when a top defender is marking him. Buku is going to be a superstar! He out marked his opponents including Hawkins.

Excited for the dogs but goal kicking needs to be sorted out. MickeyO would play at the back when he started to get the jibbies to ease the pressure. Maybe JUH needs the same treatment?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Cripps and Neale don't have other good players on their team... hence why they haven't won a premiership and the Dogs have.

Don't agree, Bont wins his own ball and is not a "receiver", doesnt rely on others to feed him. In any case Neale plays in a side that has consistently finished above the Dogs over the last 6 years. Even the Blues finished above the Dogs last year. Both have plenty of good players.

Yes, JUH is very much overrated on present output.

Jhye Clark subbed out. Why would the cats sub out a young guy? wouldn't they want the fresher legs?
ill bite.

chomp

Im gonna go with 5 day break and kid played 1 x 1/4 of footy in 2023 before missing rest of year with injury.

GFC is serious about load management and keeping kids in out of the gutters load wise.

So yeah.... Clark is in game 4 and got subbed out. Young? Absolutely but managed for career purposes.

And MOC that came on got into the MF and showed his much fresher legs.

GO Catters

Bulldogs could be anything as we all know they just some how don’t get it done.

Khamis and Jones were amazing today they held it together for the dogs.

coulda, shoulda, but aint gonna be that until Bevo departs IMO. Mid table team

wut??

who's posting that drivel ?

You may as well use nothing if your supporting evidence for what teams will make finals is anonymous users ladder predictions (which are always wrong.

It is a long season. Fact is as good as Geelong are, they have only beaten maybe one side that will likely make finals.

ill bite.

chomp

Im gonna go with 5 day break and kid played 1 x 1/4 of footy in 2023 before missing rest of year with injury.

GFC is serious about load management and keeping kids in out of the gutters load wise.

So yeah.... Clark is in game 4 and got subbed out. Young? Absolutely but managed for career purposes.

GO Catters
managed again? seems like I know the cats list better than their own fans tbh. he's a fringe player. being subbed 2 weeks in a row confirms that.

ill bite.

chomp

GO Catters
Ok I think its fair to say that I was right on the Jhye Clark front. I'm not sure why Geelong fans were so angry when I said he is a fringe player. Turns out I know more about their own list. Being a sub and then being dropped only to play a full game in the VFL is not load management.

Ok I think its fair to say that I was right on the Jhye Clark front. I'm not sure why Geelong fans were so angry when I said he is a fringe player. Turns out I know more about their own list. Being a sub and then being dropped only to play a full game in the VFL is not load management.
What? Of course Clark is fringe this year. Why generalise a whole supporter base to an interaction you may have had with one poster?

It was abundantly clear that Clark was getting exposure while Guthrie was out, and the likes of Bruhn/Parfitt/Bowes all played better in the meantime. He missed most of 2023 at both levels through injury.

We just haven't written him off becoming a decent player, unlike you who has already written him off as a confirmed bust and posted about him more than any Cats supporter I have come across (which is weird).

What? Of course Clark is fringe this year. Why generalise a whole supporter base to an interaction you may have had with one poster?

It was abundantly clear that Clark was getting exposure while Guthrie was out, and the likes of Bruhn/Parfitt/Bowes all played better in the meantime. He missed most of 2023 at both levels through injury.

We just haven't written him off becoming a decent player, unlike you who has already written him off as a confirmed bust and posted about him more than any Cats supporter I have come across (which is weird).
I haven't written him off as a bust. I was simply keeping people accountable who listed Clark amongst a bunch of names when suggesting Wells was a savvy recruiter or evidence that Geelong can develop players etc. I was simply pumping the brakes and reminding them that Clark hasn't shown that he is afl standard yet.

Then Geelong fans were telling me about how good he is, only for him to be subbed. Then I was told it's for load management. Which is clearly not true. Then he was dropped and I hear nothing.

Back