List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 was a really bad draft from us. We had a great hand going into it and essentially have walked away with nothing at this stage.

Then add in trading Logan Austin (another non midfieler) for a future 3rd and we actually traded away our future.

I was really keen on Worpel and Oscar Allen after the All Stars game that year. Both would have been for Paton and Clavarino. Trout couldn't spot a turd in a sewer.

A bit of responsibility for our start this year needs to be placed on our recruitment.

We replaced two AFL players Billings, Gresham for two injured AFL players in Dow and Henry.

Both players we let go are having productive seasons with their new teams while our recruits have essentially been on the injury list for the majority of the year.

No matter what you think of Billings and Gresham they are good players and if fit (as they are now) they would be in our starting 22.

So you are suggesting Billings & Gresham dont have histories littered with injuries. If any thing it highlights that there are still serious issues with our training loads and injury management at the club.

So you are suggesting Billings & Gresham dont have histories littered with injuries. If any thing it highlights that there are still serious issues with our training loads and injury management at the club.
Correct!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every year we start the new season with 10 players on the injury list. The head of Training Services has to go.....

A bit of responsibility for our start this year needs to be placed on our recruitment.

We replaced two AFL players Billings, Gresham for two injured AFL players in Dow and Henry.

Both players we let go are having productive seasons with their new teams while our recruits have essentially been on the injury list for the majority of the year.

No matter what you think of Billings and Gresham they are good players and if fit (as they are now) they would be in our starting 22.
JB is crap and Gresh was not worth even close to what he wanted. And neither of Dow or Henry were injured or are prone to injury.
The fact they are performing better elsewhere tells you they were cruising at Stkilda.

I was really keen on Worpel and Oscar Allen after the All Stars game that year. Both would have been for Paton and Clavarino. Trout couldn't spot a turd in a sewer.
We both wanted Shai Bolton after the all star game in 2016....took Long :'(

So ...

Gresham and Billings are injured at our club, go somewhere else then suddenly become cherry-ripe

Dow and Henry are cherry-ripe when they arrive at our club, then once they arrive become injured

I'm extremely simplifying things but these injuries we keep getting can't keep be put down to bad luck.

So ...

Gresham and Billings are injured at our club, go somewhere else then suddenly become cherry-ripe

Dow and Henry are cherry-ripe when they arrive at our club, then once they arrive become injured

I'm extremely simplifying things but these injuries we keep getting can't keep be put down to bad luck.

Don't we have a completely different team than we did last year and the year before in the strength and conditioning department?

We had the Irish fella leading the team he's been replaced now.

So ...

Agree Mordy, but according to the deciples its just bad luck!

Its nothing to do with our management, training regime or coaching, its just continued shoddy luck. It's one very unlucky football club...I wonder how a supposed professional football club would change that - luck?

Just a bit of sad irony that we pissed them off because they were injury prone and their replacements are off injured while they're on the field. You need to judge it over 10 years. Getting Crouch over Caldwell looked a great win but Crouch now looks cooked and Caldy looks like a young Jack Steele just coming into his prime.

Its nothing to do with our management, training regime or coaching, its just continued shoddy luck. It's one very unlucky football club...I wonder how a supposed professional football club would change that - luck?

OK we all heard your opinion, so you can stop banging on about it.
Reminds me of a wife i used to have.

In a few years we'll know if you were right or not.
Then again, if an Asteroid lands on Max King, you'll claim he was injured due to Lyon.

Frankly;

One went to Essendon who previously engaged in, and I quote "militaristic spending" in their football department that lead to them injecting injunction into their players. This is code for far too much money not enough sense to throw at things related to development but sucking at mental.

The other went to the heartland club that previously had a problem with giving a s**t, given however they are the heartland, when they do give a s**t, almost the entire Melbourne populace that follows the sport benefits them in some way shape or form as the only other core of the MCG outside of cricket. So again, this is code for money and sense but less on the scruple front given the tanking and illicit usage.

Translate that to us;

Went from paying 20c in the dollar, to maybe getting ejected from the entire competition, then we also had an illicit usage problem when GT decided he was the new don of many talents and Butts was so far blitzed he only got angry about things. We followed that up by the bubble and Nettleford doing SFA where we ejected ourselves from Moorabbin, in the middle of this. We then had a disconnect between Nettles & coaches, Westaway and the club, Seaford and sponsorship, that the AFL stepped in to say "fix your crap, here's some people and the government" that then coincided with Covid and the world getting F'd.

That's code for none of the above that mention money or sense, but on the plus side, we only almost bottled it with Ratten but recognised that we needed to be better. This is a note to say we are still building that joint, it is not 100% finished, it's still a work in progress so there will be hiccups as such is the nature of change.

So tldr: it is maybe just bad luck, bad timing, not enough M, not enough O, not enough N, not enough E, not enough Y to denote things that might need to be tweaked, more people, different people, things like Walsh in Walsh out Mission up new head of O crap injury, so maybe cut a little slack on new things needing tweaking?

Both would be useless...and we would all be demanding that they be traded as quickly as possible. Some though would still be singing Billings' praises because of a game he played one time when he was 10, whilst others lamenting what could have been with Gresh whilst watching him sook it up, demanding glory whilst barely able to kick 25 metres.
Personally delighted they're gone.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing LDU is putting off contract talks.

Absolute ideal player to compliment our midfield. Would completely change the dynamic.

Right age profile and Very close with Hunter Clark.

I’d be throwing the cheque book at him.

It was always the strategy to continue to cut the dead wood from this list, those not worth the $ and continue to pad out some young talent, while freeing up cap for outer years, as list clearly doesn’t cut the mustard. Alternative is Lethers strategy 2019/20, if you’d prefer that?

Seeing LDU is putting off contract talks.

Absolute ideal player to compliment our midfield. Would completely change the dynamic.

Right age profile and Very close with Hunter Clark.

I’d be throwing the cheque book at him.
What a punchline that would be after the grief North gave us at the trade table. Almost as funny as drafting Billings's over-age mate

And they delisted Clav once he started to show a couple of signs after holding onto him for a while. Probably would not have made it long term, but the strategy was flawed.

Paton had a great 2020 from memory. Broken leg is extremely difficult to come back from so that’s just a bad luck story. That’s the way things go sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back