List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

They drafted Sam Walsh (pick 1) and Cripps (pick 13)… the rest are bolt ons via trade (Kennedy, Acres, Hewett). But you’re right it’s glaringly obvious our midfield is B grade at its absolute best.
If you look at our draft hand we haven’t had a top 5 pick since Max King in 2018. So all the gun mids are gone by our first pick, the main issue with being a middle of the road team.

Windhager will still improve , Garcia is totally green. Crouch is probably our best inside mid.

That could well of been jones last game for the club, Ross has seen enough, and so have I. Unsure of butlers contract status, but if he has done a bad hammy, that also could nearly spell the end for him. I do admire Seb Ross effort most weeks, and I thought he at least looked to be trying hard right til the end last night, but I would assume this will be it for him also. Campbell will be gone at years end. Crouchy, as good as he has been for us, is also a chance to move past. We lack lockdown defenders, but Webster may be finished. Allison delist. Heath delist unless dramatic improvement. If Hayes can't stay on the park for the rest of the year he will be done.

That's 9 names already, not including Paton, Hotton, Bonner etc that could/should go at seasons end.

Gee we have a long way to go
Campbell,Heath and Hayes gone in the one season
Who helps out in the ruck?

I watched most of the Young Guns vs Vic Metro yesterday and there a couple of players that stood out. I know at present we dont have a list spot or the MSD but one may open up. With our tardy start the year and our expected ladder position (29th May) anything can happen.

Max Mapley 199cm tall forward kicked 2 goals who is also good in the ruck is a really good option.
Oskar Smartt 180cm small forward kicked 4 goals and looked sharp. He has also been playing for Essendon VFL and hitting the score board.
Tarkyn O'Leary 178cm midfielder we know plays for Sandringham. Yesterday he played in the midfield and showed some things.

Any of the above would be handy, but Mapley is a late developing Tasmanian who looks to have the tools required, he is No. 1 on my wish list for the MSD. NGA Cole played the 2nd half of the game and on yesterdays performance there is little concern of he being bid on inside the top 40. Cody Anderson 181cm inside mid was the only standout from the Vic Metro, none of their highly touted midfielders played.

I watched most of the Young Guns vs Vic Metro yesterday and there a couple of players that stood out. I know at present we dont have a list spot or the MSD but one may open up. With our tardy start the year and our expected ladder position (29th May) anything can happen.

Max Mapley 199cm tall forward kicked 2 goals who is also good in the ruck is a really good option.
Oskar Smartt 180cm small forward kicked 4 goals and looked sharp. He has also been playing for Essendon VFL and hitting the score board.
Tarkyn O'Leary 178cm midfielder we know plays for Sandringham. Yesterday he played in the midfield and showed some things.

Any of the above would be handy, but Mapley is a late developing Tasmanian who looks to have the tools required, he is No. 1 on my wish list for the MSD. NGA Cole played the 2nd half of the game and on yesterdays performance there is little concern of he being bid on inside the top 40. Cody Anderson 181cm inside mid was the only standout from the Vic Metro, none of their highly touted midfielders played.
Watched a little and was impressed by the full forward for Vic metro. Can’t remember his name but presented really well. Cole did a couple of nice things.

I like the sound of Anderson but he's getting much love from draft watchers ATM.

I like the sound of Anderson but he's getting much love from draft watchers ATM.

He reminded me a bit of Matt Pridis WCE, his lock of hair definitely stands out. He is not a huge lad so whether his inside game translate to AFL would be the question. The top 20 this year will mostly be midfielders so I think we will have plenty to chose from. We definitely need elite clearance players so hopefully we can find them.

Watched a little and was impressed by the full forward for Vic metro. Can’t remember his name but presented really well. Cole did a couple of nice things.

Think you are referring to Thomas Simms 199cm, yeah he did move well and did some nice things. Be interesting to see if he can chop out in the ruck or play other positions.

Last edited:
They drafted Sam Walsh (pick 1) and Cripps (pick 13)… the rest are bolt ons via trade (Kennedy, Acres, Hewett). But you’re right it’s glaringly obvious our midfield is B grade at its absolute best.
If you look at our draft hand we haven’t had a top 5 pick since Max King in 2018. So all the gun mids are gone by our first pick, the main issue with being a middle of the road team.

Sos also drafted guys like Dow and kemp. O'Brien as an outsider but then chased pre-made mids.

A bit of responsibility for our start this year needs to be placed on our recruitment.

We replaced two AFL players Billings, Gresham for two injured AFL players in Dow and Henry.

Both players we let go are having productive seasons with their new teams while our recruits have essentially been on the injury list for the majority of the year.

No matter what you think of Billings and Gresham they are good players and if fit (as they are now) they would be in our starting 22.

A bit of responsibility for our start this year needs to be placed on our recruitment.

We replaced two AFL players Billings, Gresham for two injured AFL players in Dow and Henry.

Both players we let go are having productive seasons with their new teams while our recruits have essentially been on the injury list for the majority of the year.

No matter what you think of Billings and Gresham they are good players and if fit (as they are now) they would be in our starting 22.
You can't really blame the recruiters for Dow receiving a contact injury.

The soft tissue of Henry is unfortunate but if he didn't have any history of them, you also can't blame the recruiters for that occurring

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you’re saying we should be able to predict when players are going to get injured?

So you’re saying we should be able to predict when players are going to get injured?
You can't really blame the recruiters for Dow receiving a contact injury.

The soft tissue of Henry is unfortunate but if he didn't have any history of them, you also can't blame the recruiters for that occurring

So we just place everything in the "unlucky" category whenever anything goes wrong.

OK, I'll just go with that then.

Should we stop recruiting players who fit needs because they could sustain a contact injury at training?

Sh*t happens - it's a contact sport. You can't stop some injuries from happening.

Seems to happen more here than anywhere else. Our history of recruiting injured players ain't great.

I said a "bit" of responsibility with our recruiters, not all.

Lets hope Dow and Henry get on the park ASAP, we really need them.

So we just place everything in the "unlucky" category whenever anything goes wrong.

OK, I'll just go with that then.
If Dan Hannebery or McKenzie get injured that’s not a surprise, if two players who have almost no injury history (who also fill a desperate need) I think you can put that down to bad luck. Billings couldn’t even get a game for us last year so I’m not sure what makes you think he would’ve been playing this year.

Seems to happen more here than anywhere else. Our history of recruiting injured players ain't great.

I said a "bit" of responsibility with our recruiters, not all.

Lets hope Dow and Henry get on the park ASAP, we really need them.
It happens everywhere. You just dont follow the other clubs as closely to be tuned into what injuries they do and dont have.

None of the responsibility for these injuries fall into the recruiters. It's not a Hannebery situation where we picked up someone knowing their body cooked and just hoped work around it, or a Freeman situation where their hamstrings had already gone multiple times.

and by the time we commit to a full rebuild, Tassie will be here to take all the picks! so that'll be fun
thats what happened last time. we should now have good experience. on this. lol

Well tonight answered what sort of player we should be recruiting - MIDFIELDERS, MIDFIELDERS & MIDFIELDERS.

We are going no where with our current midfield, we simply have to find elite mids. The way things are first pick is looking it will be a top 10 pick aswell.

we have been crying out for pure midfielders for about 10 years.

Port Adelaide are good at calling players early enough while they still have currency. Howard, Pittard, Polec, Duursma, Wingard, Amon etc all got them currency, doubt they regret any of them.rave but sensible trading is good business. Geelong are great at looking outside regular pathways.

If we'd worked out Clark and Coffield early enough we could have had multiple high picks for them.

i think we all keep / kept hoping they will become very good midfielders. both were picked up to eventually become midfielders, but Coffield was never a midfielder and clark is not either.

i think we all keep / kept hoping they will become very good midfielders. both were picked up to eventually become midfielders, but Coffield was never a midfielder and clark is not either.

2017 was a really bad draft from us. We had a great hand going into it and essentially have walked away with nothing at this stage.

Then add in trading Logan Austin (another non midfieler) for a future 3rd and we actually traded away our future.

Just a bit of sad irony that we pissed them off because they were injury prone and their replacements are off injured while they're on the field. You need to judge it over 10 years. Getting Crouch over Caldwell looked a great win but Crouch now looks cooked and Caldy looks like a young Jack Steele just coming into his prime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back