List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

ANY player over the age of 23 should be made available for a favorable price.

What is the point of having aging semi-stars if the rest of the list is shite and won't get us deep into finals?

Picks 10ish, 30ish, 50ish each year cannot dig us out of this mid-table position and needs to be fast tracked.

Not a fire sale but an aggressive list reset.

And before any melts, not all will go and not all at once. Target 1-2 mature trade outs each season (e.g. Howard). Target another 1-2 mature delistings (e.g. Jones).

Last edited:
That could well of been jones last game for the club, Ross has seen enough, and so have I. Unsure of butlers contract status, but if he has done a bad hammy, that also could nearly spell the end for him. I do admire Seb Ross effort most weeks, and I thought he at least looked to be trying hard right til the end last night, but I would assume this will be it for him also. Campbell will be gone at years end. Crouchy, as good as he has been for us, is also a chance to move past. We lack lockdown defenders, but Webster may be finished. Allison delist. Heath delist unless dramatic improvement. If Hayes can't stay on the park for the rest of the year he will be done.

That's 9 names already, not including Paton, Hotton, Bonner etc that could/should go at seasons end.

Gee we have a long way to go

That could well of been jones last game for the club, Ross has seen enough, and so have I. Unsure of butlers contract status, but if he has done a bad hammy, that also could nearly spell the end for him. I do admire Seb Ross effort most weeks, and I thought he at least looked to be trying hard right til the end last night, but I would assume this will be it for him also. Campbell will be gone at years end. Crouchy, as good as he has been for us, is also a chance to move past. We lack lockdown defenders, but Webster may be finished. Allison delist. Heath delist unless dramatic improvement. If Hayes can't stay on the park for the rest of the year he will be done.

That's 9 names already, not including Paton, Hotton, Bonner etc that could/should go at seasons end.

He could have saved us all some time and grief and looked at some old videos before the end of last year.
Actually i think the only reason we kept him was because we lost a fair bit of experience with Gresham and Billings.

Long-time watcher, first-time poster.

As has been said, we really need an elite, break-away midfielder. Our current midfield gets pumped every week and am incredibly concerned coming up against port next week with JHF, Rozee, Butters and Drew. I love Steele back in-form as well as Windy, Wilson and Garcia who I think could be huge for our midfield in future and maybe Owens (who we refuse to play in the midfield for some reason and is having a small impact as a 4th tall forward)

Not completely off the Pou train as only second year but he really hasn't shown a whole amount of the hype that he has generated. If he was to ask for a trade, I wouldn't be completely upset about it as long as we get good compensation for him. We absolutely need a way into the top-5 picks of this year's draft which seems very midfield heavy. Finishing 9-12th every year isn't going to give us access to this. So we either need to finish bottom 4 this year. Or somehow gain another FRDP via trade that we can package with ours and our SRDPs to get an elite midfielder.

I really think we need to play Collard next week and hopefully for most of season. Although Higgins has had some good games, I just don't see him playing in a flag for us. Butler seems like his time is coming up despite not having a preseason. Playing Collard can get his confidence up and we can see how special he is and help convince him to not go home to WA, and if he does get home sick, at least we ca pump up his value and get something good in return instead of letting him leave for a pick in the 20s only for him to become the magical, small forward we desperately need, at another club.

Living in Sydney, I don't get to watch many games live but Schoey seems like he is going to be a player for and am hoping he gets a gig in the next few weeks to see how he works into professional footy. We need another proper key defender. I had lots of hope for Van Es, but through injury and form issues am now starting to doubt his future. Wilkie is a gun, but Cordy and Howard are so 50-50 and don't think we can pursue with them. And Battle isn't a lockdown key defender. Really hope Keeler starts coming along as we need a ruck/for to help Row but he sounds a little bit away.

Over the next few years I'd love to see us move away from Jones, Crouch, Ross, Hill (although been good this year), Butler, Cordy, Howard, Membrey, Webster, Paton, Bonner and then maybe even Higgins, Clark, Byrnes. But in saying this, someone needs to come in for them to go out. And that's where finishing mid-table for over a decade starts to hurt.

Anyways I'm only 21 and sure I have years of disappointment ahead of me but am optimistic about a few of younger kids, just need more of them. Cheers

Wow supporters are quick to jump off players. Butler was a big part of our sucess last year, he had a major ankle surgery in the preseason and had played off the back of zero preseason preparation. Not many players can return to an elite level with zero preseason prep, after a significant injury it takes time. Jones has played bugger all footy in the past couple of seasons and the game doesnt wait for them. His AFL form is poor but he played well in the VFL, so its just a matter of he getting back up to the speed and the intensity of the game again.

Our list has holes but we need to support the players who are AFL level and are not performing for one reason or another. No sucessful club cans players after a few poor games, they support them and help them to get going again. We are fortunate this type of over reactive response is not running the club like it has in past dire years.

Allison, Heath & Campbell are in the gun but I doubt we make huge list changes.

I think we all realise that the current squad is not premiership worthy and is currently in transition phase before the keys are handed to Max King and his cohort. Max is turning 24 this year and is probably still 2-4 years from absolutely peaking (hopefully). Of that age group, only Stock, Dow, Clark and Battle are under 26, meaning most of the others could well be gone with the exception of Marshall, Wilkie and Steele.

Younger than Max we have an exciting, young crop - this is the group we need to focus on, despite the paint that will be inflicted. Wilson, Garcia, Collard, Piu, Keeler, Hammer, Owens, Windy, Nas, Heath, Henry, and Sharman.

What continues to lack is genuine midfield depth, and this is where selected free agency/trade come into play. Without knowing the exact details of every players contract, we should be targeting the likes of at least 2 of Brayshaw, LDU, Noah Anderson, Hayden Young, Caleb Serong, Max Holmes, Fin Callaghan and potential KPP in Lukosius, Balter, Lachie Ash etc, to build around the nucleus of Max King and younger.

If not these players - I am sure there are others. I am hopeful we are well down the track of letting players of this caliber know of our interest and willingness to provide a decent contract.

I think we all realise that the current squad is not premiership worthy and is currently in transition phase before the keys are handed to Max King and his cohort. Max is turning 24 this year and is probably still 2-4 years from absolutely peaking (hopefully). Of that age group, only Stock, Dow, Clark and Battle are under 26, meaning most of the others could well be gone with the exception of Marshall, Wilkie and Steele.

Younger than Max we have an exciting, young crop - this is the group we need to focus on, despite the paint that will be inflicted. Wilson, Garcia, Collard, Piu, Keeler, Hammer, Owens, Windy, Nas, Heath, Henry, and Sharman.

What continues to lack is genuine midfield depth, and this is where selected free agency/trade come into play. Without knowing the exact details of every players contract, we should be targeting the likes of at least 2 of Brayshaw, LDU, Noah Anderson, Hayden Young, Caleb Serong, Max Holmes, Fin Callaghan and potential KPP in Lukosius, Balter, Lachie Ash etc, to build around the nucleus of Max King and younger.

If not these players - I am sure there are others. I am hopeful we are well down the track of letting players of this caliber know of our interest and willingness to provide a decent contract.
Lachie Ash a KPP?? Wtf? He's a half back mate

LDU, McCluggage and Brayshaw are our main midfield targets so if we can land one of them that would be huge. Max Holmes would be nice but would cost a lot so probs not worth compromising our position in the draft.

I agree, we just need to fix up our spine. Full back, gun mid, key forward. Then we'll be in a good spot

The phillipou contract is now very interesting. He has obviously held out to sign, with his intention being to be able to play some really strong footy early this year, to get a bigger slice of the pie. Now, that has looked to backfire, with him being a fair chance to bring dropped if we are being serious. So now, we will offer him what we think is a fair deal and he will probably scoff at it, and run home to SA, and we have to trade him out of contract at his lowest value, probably a late first/early second round pick.

I agree with this. Only thing is I feel like we will find it difficult to pry any of these players out of their clubs. Especially if we continue playing how we have last couple weeks. Lukosius will leave as I believe he wants to play upfront and with Bing, Walter, Read all coming through over there, there's no room for them all, but I think he would prefer to go back to SA than VIC. Holmes and Callaghan would be ideal before they completely explode into guns but would have to give up a lot for them draft-wise

Last edited:
The phillipou contract is now very interesting. He has obviously held out to sign, with his intention being to be able to play some really strong footy early this year, to get a bigger slice of the pie. Now, that has looked to backfire, with him being a fair chance to bring dropped if we are being serious. So now, we will offer him what we think is a fair deal and he will probably scoff at it, and run home to SA, and we have to trade him out of contract at his lowest value, probably a late first/early second round pick.
Solution to that is just keep playing the kid. Saints can’t win the flag this year. Definitely promote as a first rounder with two years and X amount of games played. Club would have to pay up a first rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ANY player over the age of 23 should be made available for a favorable price.

What is the point of having aging semi-stars if the rest of the list is shite and won't get us deep into finals?

Picks 10ish, 30ish, 50ish each year cannot dig us out of this mid-table position and needs to be fast tracked.

Not a fire sale but an aggressive list reset.

And before any melts, not all will go and not all at once. Target 1-2 mature trade outs each season (e.g. Howard). Target another 1-2 mature delistings (e.g. Jones).

Port Adelaide are good at calling players early enough while they still have currency. Howard, Pittard, Polec, Duursma, Wingard, Amon etc all got them currency, doubt they regret any of them.rave but sensible trading is good business. Geelong are great at looking outside regular pathways.

If we'd worked out Clark and Coffield early enough we could have had multiple high picks for them.

Wow supporters are quick to jump off players. Butler was a big part of our sucess last year, he had a major ankle surgery in the preseason and had played off the back of zero preseason preparation. Not many players can return to an elite level with zero preseason prep, after a significant injury it takes time. Jones has played bugger all footy in the past couple of seasons and the game doesnt wait for them. His AFL form is poor but he played well in the VFL, so its just a matter of he getting back up to the speed and the intensity of the game again.

Our list has holes but we need to support the players who are AFL level and are not performing for one reason or another. No sucessful club cans players after a few poor games, they support them and help them to get going again. We are fortunate this type of over reactive response is not running the club like it has in past dire years.

Allison, Heath & Campbell are in the gun but I doubt we make huge list changes.

Butler is a good player but not excellent. I can see why Richmond traded him. Collard has a role if he can add a bit more X factor.

Few stiff takes on Butler, at the very least, you can rely on him to a lot pressure and actually have speed to chase inside our Fwd 50.

In terms of overall recruiting I just want us to recruit a few blokes who are taller than 190cm.

I feel like we’ve always been the smallest team in terms of height and build for the last decade.

Ollie Murphy has been dropped by Peel in the WAFL.

I remember a ton of Saints fans getting mad at SOS and Gubby for taking Collard Hastie and Garcia over him because of our need for a key back.

Ollie Murphy has been dropped by Peel in the WAFL.

I remember a ton of Saints fans getting mad at SOS and Gubby for taking Collard Hastie and Garcia over him because of our need for a key back.

He is a tall skinny kid - they are lucky they have a reserves competition to bring these kids through. Half of the St kilda list would be playing VFL reserves if Sandringham had any decent players. Sandringham have also been stuck with some shocking St Kilda players over the years.

We just have to hope Elwood Peckett becomes a Jet. He is more mid, unlike the defender his old man was. Club needs a little bit of luck.

There is a good group of young players, but it’s just going to take time and patience. Keeping adding at least one first rounder mid each year indefinitely.

Nooooo Jet is his brother, and a spud ( in AFL terms ), we need him to be much better than Jet.

Carlton showing what happens when you draft and develop actual midfielders, not flankers you hope will turn into mids
They drafted Sam Walsh (pick 1) and Cripps (pick 13)… the rest are bolt ons via trade (Kennedy, Acres, Hewett). But you’re right it’s glaringly obvious our midfield is B grade at its absolute best.
If you look at our draft hand we haven’t had a top 5 pick since Max King in 2018. So all the gun mids are gone by our first pick, the main issue with being a middle of the road team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back