Preview Changes/Preview – Round 2 vs. Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salem and Windsor yes, Sparrow can only replace Viney or Oliver and Oliver doesn't play anywhere else on the ground. It's why I don't get why Sparrows playing
It's like we're keeping him on the field just in case Oliver does a hammy one game

I agree but if he’s there he might as well give the others a rest. Would like to see Riv get a few as well but seems they still don’t want to pull that trigger.

I agree but if he’s there he might as well give the others a rest. Would like to see Riv get a few as well but seems they still don’t want to pull that trigger.
Wonder if that's a bit more difficult with having to restructure defensive match ups and stuff just for a couple of CBAs.
Rivers would be a star mid tho, he loves to run through the front of a stoppage with the ball

Wonder if that's a bit more difficult with having to restructure defensive match ups and stuff just for a couple of CBAs.
Rivers would be a star mid tho, he loves to run through the front of a stoppage with the ball

I wouldn’t even mind if we did something like one of Oliver/Viney then two of Koz/Salem/Rivers/Bowey. Shit even ANB maybe. Think one extractor in the middle is fine, would just like to get a look at how we go with that setup. Could even play Trac 60-70% forward, yeah he’s an unreliable kick at goal but he’s a nightmare matchup.

I wouldn’t even mind if we did something like one of Oliver/Viney then two of Koz/Salem/Rivers/Bowey. s**t even ANB maybe. Think one extractor in the middle is fine, would just like to get a look at how we go with that setup. Could even play Trac 60-70% forward, yeah he’s an unreliable kick at goal but he’s a nightmare matchup.
Yeah I agree but we both know it'll be 97% Oliver, 92% Viney, 80% Trac and then 80% Salem with Pickett getting 2 or 3 if he's quiet

don't worry, they'll likely stamp out that interest in the coming weeks.
Na, they prefer to suck you in all season then crush your hopes and dreams in September.

Two players worth keeping an eye out for in the coming weeks.

View attachment 1933140View attachment 1933142
Kynan could actually make it. Not sure he's got any tricks, but he works his a* off. Doesn't seem out of place tbh. Not sure where he's best suited yet.

AMW is building nicely. Again, not sure where he's best suited though. Handy depth if these 2 keep improving.

Kynan could actually make it. Not sure he's got any tricks, but he works his a* off. Doesn't seem out of place tbh. Not sure where he's best suited yet.

AMW is building nicely. Again, not sure where he's best suited though. Handy depth if these 2 keep improving.
I would hope AMW starts to be more than depth this year because he's been around long enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather him playing then whatever the hell Sparrow is suppose to be doing an AFL footballer.

In defence of Sparrow, I think he might have been asked to play a negating half forward role which explains why he wasn't used in the midfield much and didn't get many touches. According to someone on DL, he led the game for these esoteric stats like "pressure acts" and "sprints" and I'm sure the FD would be all over that. These days, footy players are given much more complicated instructions than "go out and get a kick", so we shouldn't judge them purely on that metric. I think he was matched up against Dale during the match, and he certainly curbed his influence at the very least.

It's his 3rd season so yeah he probably should be breaking into the best 22 at some point.
I think he'll push for a spot this year. Like I said though, he's come from a long way back. My concern is Goody won't know wtf to do with him. Could be a fantastic duo with Kozzy potentially. So I see him more pushing for Chandlers spot than Sparrows.

In defence of Sparrow, I think he might have been asked to play a negating half forward role which explains why he wasn't used in the midfield much and didn't get many touches. According to someone on DL, he led the game for these esoteric stats like "pressure acts" and "sprints" and I'm sure the FD would be all over that. These days, footy players are given much more complicated instructions than "go out and get a kick", so we shouldn't judge them purely on that metric. I think he was matched up against Dale during the match, and he certainly curbed his influence at the very least.
Dale still had 23 disposal 6 marks, 3 score involvements, 476m gain (useless stat imo) and went at 76% disposal efficiency..

Doesn't exactly looked curbed to me.

WTF is sprints, watching the replay he looked a bit stagnant around stoppages. He might be doing a lot of hard running off screen but that's not much to hang your hat on. If he is meant to be a defensive forward he didn't lay one tackle. Wowoedin was on for half a quarter and laid a tackle.

thoughts on hunter? thought he was underrated last year but with windsor, billings and wowoedin idk about him coming straight back in in a few weeks
He can have “Lingers” spot.

While I always like a bit of defiance in the face of a classic BigFooty whipping boy pile on, I'm not sure many of those kind of stats stack up for him from Sunday.

16 Pressure acts - Equal 8th most for us
0 tackles
0 one percenters
1 forward 50 ground ball get

We don't have access to those 'effort' stats I don't think, but wouldn't have thought they would be THAT good that all those other things are ignored. He just had a really poor game. Maybe the role he was given didn't work for him, maybe he had an off day, who knows, but he was poor even by the mediocre standards we should be judging him by.

Fritsch should be under pressure before Sparrow IMO, but can't see either coming out this week. For Sparrow, he has Kynan Brown, Kolt, Woey, Laurie et al all breathing down his neck so he'd want to contribute more this week.

Sparrow is starting to be a bit of a frustrating one but I’m happy to persevere. I rate his sacrificial game and think he’s a competent backup for a contested midfield role.

Tholstrup, Brown, AMW and Woewoeden are the ones pushing up behind him but I wouldn’t pick any of them ahead of him yet.

Tough gig breaking into our ball winning mix ahead of Petracca, Viney and Oliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back