Game Day Round 9 - North Melbourne @ Darwin - 11th May 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a very similar situation to a fortnight ago when we'd just had our confidence smashed in a comprehensive loss to the Swans on the road. Supporters were rightly asking questions of whether we had what it took to beat an in-form West Coast and the boys responded accordingly. Now we're here again after getting comprehensively beaten by the Lions on the road and people are contemplating a shock loss to the winless Roos.

I find it interesting that last night we heard Dimma roll out the line "We just want to keep our head above water until halfway. We learn some lessons along the way." So what's going to happen once we get to the half way point of R12 and face Essendon at PFS? Why is he so confident that it's all going to click in four weeks from now?

I suppose the fortunate thing for us is that our draw is reasonably favourable in terms of keeping us in the hunt. So Dimma will probably get his wish of "keeping our head above water" for now - in all likelihood we beat the Roos and sit just outside the 8 on percentage going into a prime time nationally televised game against the Cats. It just seems like something needs to change in order for us to take that next step into the top 8. A big scalp against Geelong or Carlton would certainly help in terms of easing the concerns of our supporter base.

Anyway, North Melbourne this week. They beat us last time (we were very unmotivated in that game) and I'd like to think the boys would be putting in all the extras this week to ensure we don't see a repeat this time around. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 40+ point win in this game. Get it done and get the season back on track.
I think Dimma is ******* delusional if he thinks we are just going to click to his game plan by mid year. We do not have the cattle that suits his game plan. I would hope he was going to adjust his game plan to our list, but he seems intent on hamfisting our list into the game plan. Might work against shithouse bottom teams, but as soon as there is any pressure our lack of footskills and a midfield plan B, the team falls apart. We don't have the backline cattle, the speed and skill on the outside or the forward line pressure to make this long kicking, lock it in forward game plan work.

It's a very similar situation to a fortnight ago when we'd just had our confidence smashed in a comprehensive loss to the Swans on the road. Supporters were rightly asking questions of whether we had what it took to beat an in-form West Coast and the boys responded accordingly. Now we're here again after getting comprehensively beaten by the Lions on the road and people are contemplating a shock loss to the winless Roos.

I find it interesting that last night we heard Dimma roll out the line "We just want to keep our head above water until halfway. We learn some lessons along the way." So what's going to happen once we get to the half way point of R12 and face Essendon at PFS? Why is he so confident that it's all going to click in four weeks from now?

I suppose the fortunate thing for us is that our draw is reasonably favourable in terms of keeping us in the hunt. So Dimma will probably get his wish of "keeping our head above water" for now - in all likelihood we beat the Roos and sit just outside the 8 on percentage going into a prime time nationally televised game against the Cats. It just seems like something needs to change in order for us to take that next step into the top 8. A big scalp against Geelong or Carlton would certainly help in terms of easing the concerns of our supporter base.

Anyway, North Melbourne this week. They beat us last time (we were very unmotivated in that game) and I'd like to think the boys would be putting in all the extras this week to ensure we don't see a repeat this time around. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 40+ point win in this game. Get it done and get the season back on track.
IMO, this was much worse loss than one against Swans. Much worse. At least we responded against Swans and stayed with them for one and half quarter. IMO, Lions are not great team at the moment despite winning yesterday.

Agree, we should beat North but who knows.

Our schedule is actually not that easy except North games based on performances. First 8 games were much friendlier fixture. Essendon improved a lot and could run over us easily.

Right now, I would say only games against North and possibly Essendon H and Tigers A we would be favourites. We seem are not able to win on the road.

North H (Darwin)
Cats H (Darwin)
Blues A
Essendon H
Saints A
Freo A
Magpies H
North A
Port H
GWS A
Lions H
Eagles A
Essendon A
Melbourne H
Tigers A

Yeah, a bit puzzling Dimma talking about half of season like some magical point where we will turn it on. Maybe physically we are primed for later parts of the season. We did look horrible physically yesterday, like we could not run at all, feet in the sand.

I guess, the only hope for me was performance against GWS for 3 and half quarters. But then what we dished out yesterday takes that hope away.

It looks like 2025 will be a make or break for Suns and Dimma. This year I am with Montagna - no finals.

Time to step back, relax and watch from sideline with interest. It's just footy. This up and down is too taxing :)

Last edited:
I think Dimma is ******* delusional if he thinks we are just going to click to his game plan by mid year. We do not have the cattle that suits his game plan. I would hope he was going to adjust his game plan to our list, but he seems intent on hamfisting our list into the game plan. Might work against shithouse bottom teams, but as soon as there is any pressure our lack of footskills and a midfield plan B, the team falls apart. We don't have the backline cattle, the speed and skill on the outside or the forward line pressure to make this long kicking, lock it in forward game plan work.
My fears too. I just hope he is not another inflexible coach, but in a different way to Dew. Plenty of positives about his attitude and drive, but plenty of questions to be asked about teams and tactics, for sure.

Maybe getting all his ex coaching team up here might not also be a bonus.

Personally, I haven’t seen enough signs of a gameplan, except the Richmond game, that we want to play or are able to play radically differently.

Otherwise it boils down to midfield win, we win. True of most teams. But midfield lose, we lose, is not; other teams have different levers to win matches. We need to hurry up and find ours!

Strengths (normally): contest, clearance, inside 50 numbers, intercept marking, pressure.

Weakness: disposal, speed, inside 50 entries, goal kicking ability/accuracy.

My fears too. I just hope he is not another inflexible coach, but in a different way to Dew. Plenty of positives about his attitude and drive, but plenty of questions to be asked about teams and tactics, for sure.

Maybe getting all his ex coaching team up here might not also be a bonus.

Personally, I haven’t seen enough signs of a gameplan, except the Richmond game, that we want to play or are able to play radically differently.

Otherwise it boils down to midfield win, we win. True of most teams. But midfield lose, we lose, is not; other teams have different levers to win matches. We need to hurry up and find ours!

Strengths (normally): contest, clearance, inside 50 numbers, intercept marking, pressure.

Weakness: disposal, speed, inside 50 entries, goal kicking ability/accuracy.
Im going to be the first to say I didn't want Dimma, so I am going to be stronger on him than others, but everything I worried about him coming here hasn't been disproven yet.
We barked all pre season about this great new, attacking game plan we where going to play. Somehow we move the ball WORSE than we did with Dew. It's not a great start, I worry we aren't going to improve quick enough to keep players at this rate.

Im going to be the first to say I didn't want Dimma, so I am going to be stronger on him than others, but everything I worried about him coming here hasn't been disproven yet.
We barked all pre season about this great new, attacking game plan we where going to play. Somehow we move the ball WORSE than we did with Dew. It's not a great start, I worry we aren't going to improve quick enough to keep players at this rate.
The thing that is funny is that our strengths are the same strengths as last year. Media talking about us being hard to score against, dominating clearances, being a good stoppage team, bringing pressure etc.

These are all Dew era traits.

Kicking down the line. Relying on pressure from mids and forwards. Bombing inside 50.

These are all Dew era traits too.

So if we want to play attacking style, we need to play some faster players to get more overlap run so we can move forward as a team. Then get a proper forward structure to move towards and kick a score.

Also, King is our only reliable shot at goal…

Dimma has built the hype. Everyone has mostly bought in to it. But we are 4-4. Being 6-7 by the bye is passable, but doesn’t inspire great confidence. 7-6 is our best hope. Anything higher and finals are on the table.

I’ll see you guys after the north game. I’m in a worse enough mood without reading all this confirmation bias.

I’ll be in the guernsey discussion thread to give my NO spoiler review of the brand refresh focus group tomorrow night.

I’ll see you guys after the north game. I’m in a worse enough mood without reading all this confirmation bias.

I’ll be in the guernsey discussion thread to give my NO spoiler review of the brand refresh focus group tomorrow night.
Hopefully, you will like refresh designs.

Richmond with Dimma had a history of slow starts and crappy first halves of seasons and tapering to September
Maybe he has a secret sauce*

*I hope he has a secret sauce

Our schedule is actually not that easy except North games based on performances. First 8 games were much friendlier fixture. Essendon improved a lot and could run over us easily.

Right now, I would say only games against North and possibly Essendon H and Tigers A we would be favourites. We seem are not able to win on the road.

North H (Darwin)
Cats H (Darwin)
Blues A
Essendon H
Saints A
Freo A
Magpies H
North A
Port H
GWS A
Lions H
Eagles A
Essendon A
Melbourne H
Tigers A

It looks like 2025 will be a make or break for Suns and Dimma. This year I am with Montagna - no finals.

Time to step back, relax and watch from sideline with interest. It's just footy. This up and down is too taxing :)
If you break down the remainder of the draw into top 6, middle 6 and bottom 6 then it looks like this:

Top 6 - Cats (D), Bombers (H), Fremantle (A), GWS (A), Bombers (A), Demons (A)
Middle 6 - Blues (A), Magpies (H), Power (A)
Bottom 6 - Kangaroos (D), Saints (A), Kangaroos (A), Lions (H), Eagles (A), Tigers (A)

We have the same amount of top 6 teams as bottom 6 teams to come as well as 3 middle 6 teams. I'd guess that's one of the easier runs home considering we've already played 4 bottom 6 teams this season, which is to be expected after finishing bottom 4 last year. I suspect our season will end up being defined by the amount of wins we can secure against teams around/above us. We're yet to win 1 of those games but we still have another 9 opportunities to come in 2024.

Richmond with Dimma had a history of slow starts and crappy first halves of seasons and tapering to September

Have heard many Richmond supporters talk about this. For whatever reason, Dimma's Richmond teams never really got their seasons off to a good start and virtually always hit form in the second half of the season. It's probably why he's so confident in his conviction that we just need to keep "our heads above water" for now because Dimma is used to hitting form after R12. I think we're all hoping he has the secret sauce to replicate those second half of the season performances with us.

Wayne Bennett has always had that magic to him. They’d not be flash early and be flying at seasons end. So it’s possible Dimma has that touch too.

I'm struggling with Luko as a back
If we were getting 40 goals from someone else sure, but we're back to dumping it on Ben King's head every entry
We have to accept Benny Ainsworth isn't going to be a 30 goal small forward
Losing Rankine was bad and Rosas has X factor but again-injury
I understand the reasoning with Luko for his rebounding and he can't ruck but we need to kick goals
Now I worry Luko will chuck the toys out of the cot and go somewhere he can play as a high forward
BTW I'd rather Levi just standing around the forward line over Ethan Read at the moment
Even godforbid Sam day is better

Levi was great at bringing the ball to feet at a minimum in his last half a dozen games, no?

Agree Luko might be needed back but right now he’s more needed forward (plus has admitted plenty that’s his preference). Ball goes in plenty but it seems to bounce out or not become a scoring opp just as quickly.

We all know our resilience against perceived or actual pressure is terrible. Any team with their backs against the wall or turning it on during the game and we often crumble. It’s nothing new.

But it will be a massive eye opener for Dimma and surely it now becomes a major focus. It will take time as it psychological, but it will improve.

IMO the other factor is his own doing though. Trying to be too clever and band-aiding team deficiencies. Players out of their best position, not dropping out-of-form players & not rewarding ressie players busting their guts in positions we need.

But he can immediately remedy this. Just not sure he will?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite the absolute mess Sunday night was we are rightly favourites for this. Don't really read too much into last round last year, blokes were already on the beach and in surgery while we were giving the likes of Lloyd Johnston a run out.

Like most of our games, if we can win the midfield battle we go a long way to winning the game, especially with the NM defensive issues. King should be primed to spearhead our forwards and will get plenty of looks at it.

I was all in on Lukosius back, but since Dimma has decided to roll him forward at times now, may as well just keep flip flopping him around and just play him forward this week (would much rather he just settle in a spot and stay).

Changes are tricky, I would probably go Humphrey in for Holman who is looking slow. Long has been alright in the 2's and hitting the score board last week, so I'll keep him in this week. Read needs an extended run in the 2nds if we are serious about winning games, Lukosius goes forward and we bring Jeffrey in to play HB. Swallow can go back to sub, the bloke is just about cooked. Look at Farrar who has some flexibility and can move around where needed.

Out: Read, Holman, Swallow (Sub)
In: Humphrey, Jeffrey, Farrar

Out: Read, Holman, Swallow (Sub)
In: Humphrey, Jeffrey, Farrar

All worthy changes at the minimum.

Uwland was also very good on the weekend. I would consider him as well to allow Flanders fwd/mid.

Davies also played his best game for the season if we want more inside mid grunt to assist Rowell.

This game isn't a Mini-GF, but it's very important after the historically bad loss to the Lions. Need to win and win convincingly. Not sure who goes in or out of the team, but I think we learned a harsh lesson to not play all the kids at once. It just doesn't work to have both Luko and Flanders in the same backline playing the same role. Move Luko back forward, and we'll figure out the chop-out ruck as we go. I actually think Luko is underrated when he plays the chop-out role, since he acts like another midfielder and it puts him in dangerous positions for him to move the ball.

Larkey is a serious issue, but he hasn't set the world on fire yet. More worried about Paul Curtis getting off the chain. That midfield isn't scaring anyone at this stage, just need to recreate the Hawthorn plan, limit Xerri's influence, and stop any outside run from Sheezel and McKercher. North Melbourne's defense is really bad and we need to exploit it, but I said the same thing about the Bulldogs and our forwards couldn't get past them.

I think at some stage they will want to see if witts and Moyle can play in the same team, this could be the week. Gives witts more rest with the hot conditions and we find out if they can be serviceable forward. At worst there is always the sub.

I think at some stage they will want to see if witts and Moyle can play in the same team, this could be the week. Gives witts more rest with the hot conditions and we find out if they can be serviceable forward. At worst there is always the sub.
The problem is that if we play Moyle (like Read) we either have 4 tall backs or 4 tall forwards due to Luko.

Xerri has been in good form though for North, so winning ruck could be important.

Unless Luko wants to become the Jack of all trades and become a bench rotating swing player? Forward when King, Witts (or Moyle) is off, back when Mac is off, wing if Fiorini or Clohesey is off. All play 80%+ time on ground, so would be bursts and constantly moving. Would be a garbage position, but would potentially get him very involved and allow him to set up the ball a lot when not forward.

Realistically, going tall in Darwin is probably a mistake. Need fast, smaller players to get the likely ground balls. Also need to be able to rotate and rest players as conditions will be tough.

Looking at the forecast it's going to be very hot but not wet or crazy humid like it sometimes can be.

This game isn't a Mini-GF, but it's very important after the historically bad loss to the Lions. Need to win and win convincingly. Not sure who goes in or out of the team, but I think we learned a harsh lesson to not play all the kids at once. It just doesn't work to have both Luko and Flanders in the same backline playing the same role. Move Luko back forward, and we'll figure out the chop-out ruck as we go. I actually think Luko is underrated when he plays the chop-out role, since he acts like another midfielder and it puts him in dangerous positions for him to move the ball.

Larkey is a serious issue, but he hasn't set the world on fire yet. More worried about Paul Curtis getting off the chain. That midfield isn't scaring anyone at this stage, just need to recreate the Hawthorn plan, limit Xerri's influence, and stop any outside run from Sheezel and McKercher. North Melbourne's defense is really bad and we need to exploit it, but I said the same thing about the Bulldogs and our forwards couldn't get past them.
I reckon we'll play LDU back into form this week! If they think they have this one in the bag - it'll come back to bite. Holman, Swallow, Reid to make way for Humphrey, Jeffery and (gulp) Day. Fiorini and Ainsworth still question marks to me but hold for now. Faulkhead must get a try at some point and this would be a good time.

I reckon we'll play LDU back into form this week! If they think they have this one in the bag - it'll come back to bite. Holman, Swallow, Reid to make way for Humphrey, Jeffery and (gulp) Day. Fiorini and Ainsworth still question marks to me but hold for now. Faulkhead must get a try at some point and this would be a good time.
Faulkhead got injured last week (at training?), we will learn more today in injury report.

Last edited:
The problem is that if we play Moyle (like Read) we either have 4 tall backs or 4 tall forwards due to Luko.

Xerri has been in good form though for North, so winning ruck could be important.

Unless Luko wants to become the Jack of all trades and become a bench rotating swing player? Forward when King, Witts (or Moyle) is off, back when Mac is off, wing if Fiorini or Clohesey is off. All play 80%+ time on ground, so would be bursts and constantly moving. Would be a garbage position, but would potentially get him very involved and allow him to set up the ball a lot when not forward.

Realistically, going tall in Darwin is probably a mistake. Need fast, smaller players to get the likely ground balls. Also need to be able to rotate and rest players as conditions will be tough.
Nice theory on Luko. No other player in AFL plays similar role. It will not happen. I think more and more that we could lose both Luko and Moyle in the off-season.

I also think more and more that a lot of Dimma's Tigers success could be attributed to his excellent assistants (Kingsley, McRae, Leppitsch,..). Our assistants can't compare at the moment.

I hope, I am wrong. I give Dimma this season to figure it out. He can replace some assistants in the off-season. But next year he will be in my crosshairs if it does not work out, haha. He got better list than Dew had, more experienced, no rebuild.

Last edited:

Resting Moyle fwd on the weekend is a positive sign. Just don’t have faith in Dimma to give it a try, and with Moyle already parking contract talks, that ship has likely sailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back