Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality check of a first half, much better second half and it looked like the work rate lifted, not so much cue in the rack.

Positives
  • Jack Williams, such a no brainer to keep pumping games into him
  • Witherden and Duggan. Good old fashioned whipping boys at times but they were both very good today.
  • Ryan getting some footy in the second half and throwing himself into marking contests after sitting them out at half time. Hope he’s turned a corner, we’ll need him.
  • Barrass and Gov held up as best they could.
  • Ginbey’s first half great, second half was also good. Happy to see him grow into it.
  • Thought Chesser grew into it again. Persist.
Negatives
  • Sheed, whipping boy for sure and I can’t help but think the injuries saved him, but he simply must be dropped. Moved out of the middle and onto the wing for the second half, feel like that’s a message and decision made.
  • Need Flynn badly. Williams works his tail off but there’s some games where our mids just get run due to the ruck battle. Needs support/someone to take the ruck lead.
  • Left some supremely gettable goals/forward entries out there when the game was close, which hurts the morale no doubt.

Good stemming of the tide, reality check as to where we sit against the Premiers in that first half. Interesting oppprtunity next week against a very good Melbourne. On to the next.

I mean it was meh. But we are in for pain without Yeo. Yeo papered over the cracks.

Ginbey ended up with 19 possession so his last quarter's are above his first due to fitness.

I like really liked Harley Reid game. It was against a tougher team/top 4 team/mid. All without Yeo. A more maturing and clinical game.

At least we stood up to a small degree in the second half rather than losing by 100+.

Some decent signs from younger players, at least starting to find the ball.

Backline overall worked hard and did pretty well.

Impressed again by Hough.

Ryan finally started building into it after 10 quarters.

Dewar looked impressive when involved.

-

Midfield just destroyed.

Poor skills, poor tackling, poor workrate.

Sheed

• Witherden and Duggan. Good old fashioned whipping boys at times but they were both very good today.

Add Cole to this too, was close to our best in the second half.

Positives:
  • We played better in the 2nd half - we won the last quarter
  • Dewar - needs to stay in
  • Withered played ok…
  • wasn’t a 100 point loss - didn’t cave like last year
  • only a few more weeks until Flynn comes in
  • Ryan played better after half time

Negatives:
  • Exposed our lack of depth. Take Yeo out of the centre, Waterman out of attack and Gov out of defence and we fall in a hole.
  • Sheed - needs to ‘develop his game’ in the WAFL - too slow for AFL
  • too many experienced passengers
  • Injuries to Gov and Petch

Lack of footspeed in the forwardline is killing us on rebounds. Edwards, what’s left of Darling, and even a guy who should always play in Jack Williams, just makes it so easy for oppo to storm out and create extra numbers.

Positive
Dewar looked good. Should keep his spit.
Johnston too, but he might get squeezed out
Ginbey looks so much better outside the guts. Think we need to recognise he’s probably not a mid. Atleast not yet.
Chesser is starting run much better patterns and get to good places.

Negatives
Sheed- enough said
Kelly needed to stand up and didn’t
Work in centre bounce
Ryan looks well off the pace
Gov injury

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Positive:
We push the dockers out of the 8
For the contenders we run the Pies into some form.
For us we have quite a few 'kids' who are not strong but are taking steps each week. Some just need time too be effective AFL players.
Johnson and Dewar showed some poise and skill.
Coached well in the second half.

Negatives:
Gov injured.
The WAFL offers us no development.
We need more speed but that in part comes with better play and confidence. Remember we belted the dockers.
Too many losing their feet.

Lack of footspeed in the forwardline is killing us on rebounds. Edwards, what’s left of Darling, and even a guy who should always play in Jack Williams, just makes it so easy for oppo to storm out and create extra numbers.
Add that to Sheed and Kelly who didn't appear to run back the other way too hard and it's over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4.5 to 2.6 in the second half saved us from a massive loss

Half their goals came directly from centre clearances and that’s what we’ll need to work on for next week

Hope Gov is ok and that Petch’s ankle is minor

Positves-
Witherden's best game for the club.
Barrass
Most of the backline did well considering the circumstances
Ryan looked more like the player we know in the last quaerter
Second falf was so much better but we just couldn't convert.
Won the last quarter.
last year it would have been 100 plus loss

Negatives
Bailey williams. shouldn't be a number one ruck but that is the situation sadly.
Got murdered in the midfield
Sheed a liability.Maybe more than Gaff.

Last edited:
Negatives:
  • Exposed our lack of depth. Take Yeo out of the centre, Waterman out of attack and Gov out of defence and we fall in a hole.

Taking the best performed player out of each area of the ground will do that to pretty much all teams.

Freo without Serong, Amiss, Pearce for example. 😬

It was a tough assignment today but unfortunately without Yeo on the inside our midfield is not there yet.

The ruck has become a major issue though I think - Bailey has battled manfully but it’s time to crack the whip and get Flynn out there ASAP.

Witherden was really good, Dewar showed nice signs and Ginbey and Chesser continue to grow.

Unfortunately due to injuries, we're back in the position of having to persist with players who shouldn't really be getting picked at this level. Can't get Yeo, Waterman, Allen, Flynn etc back soon enough

Positive
Dewar looked good. Should keep his spit.
Johnston too, but he might get squeezed out
Ginbey looks so much better outside the guts. Think we need to recognise he’s probably not a mid. Atleast not yet.
Chesser is starting run much better patterns and get to good places.

Negatives
Sheed- enough said
Kelly needed to stand up and didn’t
Work in centre bounce
Ryan looks well off the pace
Gov injury

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ginbey looks better playing better outside the guts simply because it’s an easier role to play. His contested mid stats were very good for a second year player. Defs should be persisting.

Very good game from Cole, thought Dewar showed enough to stay in the side, Ryan started to look like he's catching back up to the pace of the game.

Needed more from Kelly today with no Yeo.
Sheed was f**king awful, I don't care who's fit next week, he needs to be an out. The only time I saw him work hard was when he was enthusiastically waving teammates off so he could be the bloke standing on the mark so he wouldn't have to chase anyone. If it was my team I wouldn't even have him playing in the WAFL, I wouldn't want him and his shitty attitude anywhere near the young guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back