Autopsy Round 4, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

9 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
9 Errol Gulden (SYD)
6 Elliot Yeo (WCE)
3 Jeremy McGovern (WCE)
2 Liam Duggan (WCE)
1 Jayden Hunt (WCE)

Aside from Heeney and Errol who split the top two votes, it's nothing but Eagles in the coaches votes from Saturday. Honestly some impressive stuff.

Dwayne infuriates me with his calling us The West Coast.

It's either "West Coast" or "the Eagles".

I've never heard him call the Tiges "The Richmond".

Drives me nuts.

Rant over.

Agreed, triggers me every time.

He says it constantly even when no other caller does, it's like he's trying to make it a thing.

The number of teams is increasing but our population growth has been even faster. There are more potential footballers per capita with 18 teams than there was when we last had 16 teams. I think the issue is more to do with developing 'athletes' rather than 'footballers'.
There's no guarantee that population growth correlates with an increased pool of footballers.

Population growth is propped up by immigration, the majority of which is from Asia.

You don't see many first or second generation South-Asian or East Asian footballers running around at the top levels. Conversely there's been inroads into the African diaspora.

My point being that it's not a direct correlation and there's a hell of a lot of outreach needed to expand that pool.

There's no guarantee that population growth correlates with an increased pool of footballers.

Population growth is propped up by immigration, the majority of which is from Asia.

You don't see many first or second generation South-Asian or East Asian footballers running around at the top levels. Conversely there's been inroads into the African diaspora.

My point being that it's not a direct correlation and there's a hell of a lot of outreach needed to expand that pool.
Welcome to Sydney.

Duggan is copping it way too harshly for this game. He had about 3 turnovers from 30 disposals, went at 80% disposal efficiency for the match. Yes one of his turnovers cost us a goal but don't forget McGovern stuffed a 15m kick-in that was saved by the Sydney player hitting the post. Harley also gave away 4 frees including the 50m penalty which cost us a goal.

I'd suggest a re-watch of Duggan if you think he was that bad

Duggan officially had 7 turnovers on the AFL website.

The same amount as Yeo, who everyone is saying was amazing.

I'm not arguing one way or the other because obviously not all turnovers are the same but I find it interesting the way people view different players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelli is shithouse, but it's not because of her voice or genitals, it's because she seems to have no knowledge of footy, the players or what's happening out there. She fumbles the call more than Cole collecting a loose ball in the back 50.

It's disingenuous to assert fans only come down on her. There's been no shortage of outrage over the likes of BT calling Rioli Ryan and visa versa, or the ex-footy players like Pav and Jobe Watson dishing up garbage special comments and analysis.

I don't think we've had a game without Kelli Underwood so far this season which is probably why it's being focussed on. Doubt it'll change, either.They might have handed her the role of learning our list of kids to call all of our games.
Kelli always reminds me of Basil with the way she (and he used to) stuffs up calls, mangles cliches and just flat out says wrong things all the time.
But I reckon there's very few good commentators these days, most of them are pretty average

The one that shits me the most is Brayshaw and Howard adding a y to everyone’s first name.

Tommy Stewart
Sammy Walsh
Benny King

F**k me it will be Harley-y Reid if we ever get to play another Friday night game.

Yassss JB loves tacking the "y" on the end of everyone's name. Jakey Lever and Stevie May 2 of his favourites.

Duggan officially had 7 turnovers on the AFL website.

The same amount as Yeo, who everyone is saying was amazing.

I'm not arguing one way or the other because obviously not all turnovers are the same but I find it interesting the way people view different players.
Yeah but unlike Yeo, Duggan's turnovers were horrendous and led to us being burnt on the turnover multiple times.

9 Isaac Heeney (SYD) 5/4
9 Errol Gulden (SYD) 5/4
6 Elliot Yeo (WCE) 3/3
3 Jeremy McGovern (WCE) 2/1
2 Liam Duggan (WCE) 2
1 Jayden Hunt (WCE) 1
I always enjoy / am compulsively compelled to work out the break down of the votes by the coaches. Often multiple answers, but not so today i think.

Last edited:
Dwayne infuriates me with his calling us The West Coast.

It's either "West Coast" or "the Eagles".

I've never heard him call the Tiges "The Richmond".

Drives me nuts.

Rant over.
The west coast.
The Eagles.
The west coast eagles.

The Sydney.
The swans.
The Sydney swans.

The Melbourne.
The demons.
The Melbourne demons.

It's really ******* simple, extend it to the full name, or only use "The" if the mascot is in the sentence.

I'm pretty hard pressed to find a commentator I actually like.
I think its just adam papalia from what i catch on telly when im not sleeping or working.
Although that could be me attaching those thoughts to people saying hes good when commenting on callers. I don't notice him especially, but i notice what i don't like? So i guess i like them...

People on this board complain more about Dwayne Russell than any other commentator for his shitty cliche based commentary.

And whilst there is no doubt that a small minority whose dislike for Kelli Underwood may be gender based, let's not call everyone that dislikes her commentary sexist please. Both Sarah Jones and Kath Loughnan are fantastic at their jobs.
Kath Loughnan is an absolute babe. Can we trade Undwerwood for her?

Dwayne is absolutely in the same boat and I’d join that pile just as quickly. 90% of his commentary is reciting play names in order of possession followed by the disposal method then the result. The remaining 10% is saying “that’s as good as it gets”. He should be kicked to the curb in the same swift motion. Having to listen to both of them pretending like they know what they are talking about is horrendous.
I used to hate Dwayne but now I find him hilarious. He obviously comes up with a list of one liners before the game and finds any chance to shoe horn them in. If you're going to have a crap commentator, I'd rather someone like him then BT's drivel.

He's also dropped some pretty memorable lines. "Does Geelong have a safe word?" " Against the team that didn't want him!".

James Brayshaw is less offensive but he's *en terrible.

"Oooof [player x] is a good player."

"Look at the wheels on [player x]."

That is legit the extent of his commentary.
You forgot:

"The crowd will tell the story... listen to this!"

"Wow"

The 2023 grand final was some of the worst commentary in the history of the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back