Autopsy Round 8, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a positive negative but thought Harley really got shown up in the first half especially by Durham - who I rate but has the polar opposite of Harley's draft pedigree. Durham lined up on him at stoppages, wrestled him from moving the way he wanted to effectively but then got in to win his own ball whenever Harley tried to get away from him.

There was a few times where Harley was actually the guy Essendon handballed around/over on their fast breaks cause Durham had gone and won it, and in trying to get space Harley was in no man's land between Durham and the receiver. Changed a bit when Durham went to Yeo more later on.

Genuinely don't think it's a bad thing though, think it's a great learning opportunity - I always hope he goes for the disrespect when he has the ball but hopefully highlights that at stoppages/in dispute he'll get burnt in future if he doesn't respect his opponent, even one with a lot less talent.

Probably more indicative of what he can expect in his career - won't often be like Freo/Richmond where their mids are happy to go offensively head to head, just like with Judd by his second year teams will go in with a plan for him and he'll need to adjust to it.

soon as Williams started playing like a big man and played with intensity he looked so good. Still a long way to go but we finally saw what he can offer us
Has all the tools, big and strong with a nice kick for goal.

Agree that he has lacked intensity and looked quite timid before so hopefully with a bit more confidence he can become a player.

Should be the man this week at FF so keen to see what he’s got.

Bit of a positive negative but thought Harley really got shown up in the first half especially by Durham - who I rate but has the polar opposite of Harley's draft pedigree. Durham lined up on him at stoppages, wrestled him from moving the way he wanted to effectively but then got in to win his own ball whenever Harley tried to get away from him.

There was a few times where Harley was actually the guy Essendon handballed around/over on their fast breaks cause Durham had gone and won it, and in trying to get space Harley was in no man's land between Durham and the receiver. Changed a bit when Durham went to Yeo more later on.

Genuinely don't think it's a bad thing though, think it's a great learning opportunity - I always hope he goes for the disrespect when he has the ball but hopefully highlights that at stoppages/in dispute he'll get burnt in future if he doesn't respect his opponent, even one with a lot less talent.

Probably more indicative of what he can expect in his career - won't often be like Freo/Richmond where their mids are happy to go offensively head to head, just like with Judd by his second year teams will go in with a plan for him and he'll need to adjust to it.
Durham was super impressive and is exactly what a club with a reputation of being a bit soft like Essendon needs.

Agree very impressed with Jack Williams
Had barely noticed him in the past and thought he was a bit too lumbering and not very agile. He can def play a Van Rooyen role for us and straighten us up especially with Oscar missing a few weeks

I don’t think we played poorly. I think Essendon played a very smart game and made it a slog for us. Essendon played with a lot of pressure and a good team defence.
Their work in the middle surprised me, particularly in the first half. I thought Yeo/Kelly/Reid would have them covered out of centre bounce.

:100:

They brought the heat all game, their match rated elite pressure, with a really good system to push forward and defend behind the ball and pressure the defence into rushed kicks into their hands.

We really shouldn't be disappointed with a 1 goal loss, all things considered.

Very proud of the lads, everyone was in a rush to leave at the siren, I wanted to stay back and applaud their effort and how far they've come in such a short time.

Durham was super impressive and is exactly what a club with a reputation of being a bit soft like Essendon needs.

A lot to like about Durham for Bombers fans I would have thought.

Picked up '21 mid-season draft so the guy has had 3 full pre-seasons now. Looked strong, fast and hard at it.

I doubt Harley will be phased.

Sheed was a late in, wasnt meant to play. It was Sheed, Gaff or H.Edwards replacing Hunt, Sheed probably the better of the 3
Poor wording on my part. I was trying to point out for the many Sheed haters that as much as they want Sheed out and stuck in the Wafl with Gaff, Simmo was saying he may go back to the Wafl to find form for a couple more weeks, but then he will be straight back into the AFL team!
But that was before we had injuries this week, so I'm guessing Sheed might have a lucky break and get to play more AFL?

I'm not pro Sheed or anti Sheed btw, I see a guy with a lot of experience and some skills and 'IF' he can slot into the team, be up to speed and play an impactful role - then he's an asset. If he can't, then he's Wafl or depth...

We get another crack at the Bombers in a few weeks. Hopefully we'll have Oscar back by then and can get one back on them.
Here's hoping.. if Oscar's in form, need Yeo and a couple of in form speedy forwards?
Away game, their turf...

Last edited:
Thought Chesser played well, had some really good touches and looked like he could football. Honestly surprised he only had the 12 touches, felt like he was in a lot more contests than that.
I think it was his first touch and he burst across the centre and I thought geez this kid moves like a Rolls Royce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean Durham is like four years older and quite good. Pretty obvious Reid is going to get beaten out sometimes by 22+ year olds that are half decent

I mean Durham is like four years older and quite good. Pretty obvious Reid is going to get beaten out sometimes by 22+ year olds that are half decent

Wasn't so much the point that it was a big shock Durham beat him out (as I said I rate Durham, would have loved him at WC).

More so that it gives Harley a taste of teams coming in with a specific plan for him - it certainly looked like Durham and Essendon did and it worked well for them. He's gone head to head with better/more established mids than Durham in weeks past but who have been more focused on their own game + Yeo/Kelly. Will be a great lesson going forwards of what he has to work through to become the best player in the AFL.

I always remember Judd early days towelling up when he played against mids wanting to play their own way (he always smacked that elite Brisbane side around being the 'newer model' of superstar) but his big step was overcoming those who planned for him - Sydney always had two or three Durhams which made it such a good contest between their mids and ours. Both Reid and us as a side learning to play around that will be important - maybe a Hall or someone will come on as an enforcer Rojo/Chick style to clear things out for Reid/Hewett. Good lesson in a development year is all I was saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back