Autopsy Round 6, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

How long was Sheed out for again???

Look, I've never been a huge Sheed lover (Goal aside) but it was his first hit out back. He got thrown into a pretty hot game in the 4th. Was caught flat footed at his first contest and then missed a tackle not long after from memory.

As the quarter worn on, he picked up the speed a bit more. He also his a lovely/creative left food pass from close to our D50 out to the wing past 3 defenders.

I'm not going to judge him in our revamped side yet. He has a role with the left foot and vision.
He needs to pick up the pace for sure...Let's hope the urgency rubs off too.

Last edited:
Rewatching the 1st half.

Rotham was huge. Hope he goes on with it and makes it. He offers something very unique.

Impressed with Witherden 2 x weeks in a row. He has a yard of pace. How, I have no idea, but he does.

Flogmantle have based their gameplan on a 5 year outdated one. Dumb village hicks. It's the chaos ball that's ruling now.

Imagine waking up every morning a Freo fan?

Sad Thinking GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Rewatching the 1st half.

Rotham was huge. Hope he goes on with it and makes it. He offers something very unique.

Impressed with Witherden 2 x weeks in a row. He has a yard of pace. How, I have no idea, but he does.

Flogmantle have based their gameplan on a 5 year outdated one. Dumb village hicks. It's the chaos ball that's ruling now.

The amount of times a Freo player had the ball stoppage back side of the square and they looked sideways/slightly back.

They really didn't want to go forward quickly.

Rotham's first couple of seasons were quite decent. He's got some great tools; speed, height and a very good kick. I genuinely feel like he's a victim of our stop-and-chip-it-sideways-or-even-better-backwards gameplan and trying to play him as a 3rd tall. With a licence to move the ball fast and at an angle he looks like a much better player.

Rewatching the 1st half.

Well said mate...Since coming back Rotham has been damn good as has Witho.

The extra pressure up the field is helping Witho immensely. He can rely on his ability to read the play and pick up oppo scrubber kicks and opposed to having to rely on speed to make up ground with clean entries.

Keep it up Lads!!!

Positives
1. Our often maligned players stood up pretty well - think Darling, Rotham, Witherden, Cole, Duggan etc.
2. Cannot think of an obvious passenger/s.
3. Two in a row.
4. Big crowd - again.
5. Game plan - much easier on the eye.

Negatives.
1. Just looked in a dictionary to find meaning of ‘inconsistent’ - referred me to AFL HTB decisions. Some real doozies last night and all season.
2. Oppos fourth quarter goals.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love our forward line atm. It's open and with our mids coming put front of the center bouncedowns, our guys are getting a good look at it. It's all coming together. Matthew Knights is doing a good job as the forwards coach as is Shuey with the mids. Lovin it!

Schofield also deserves alot of credit for the midfield group (along with Shuey too ofcourse).

Our midfield structure/tactics look alot better and our mids actually now seem to know how to position themselves in a contest to win the ball.

Just watched the replay again and the game is an interesting one, Yeo and Barrass are probably one of the only players to feature strongly throughout.

Early days it's Reid, Barrass, Yeo and Waterman.

Later on it's Kelly, Barrass, Yeo, Darling and Maric.

Then towards the end you have players like Hough, Cole, Duggan, Hunt etc shining through.

Really well balanced team game I think, Yeo or Barrass probably best on, Reid shone brightest but for shorter periods.

Great to see Hunt, Petruccelle, Cripps, Darling, Cole, Hough and even guys like Rotham and Witherden do really good things throughout the game. Pretty happy with Maric, Cripps etc up forward.

Waterman was supreme, either on the lead or winning HTB kicks, even as a relief kick in the backline. Played his best in the first half when the game was on the line.

Darling could have had 5 goals on another day, got hands to some good kicks in contested marking situations and was so close to holding them, did great setup work for others.

Sheed is extremely underrated hereabouts. With Yeo, Reid, Kelly and Ginbey at the contest, Sheed's outside run, beautiful disposal and goal kicking can be fully exploited (provided he gets fit).

Sheed is a momentum killer, takes ages to make decisions. Takes his full allotted time after every free kick or mark,doesn't chase at all
He shouldve been running around like a madman , exploiting his freshness but no, didn't look interested
Hope he's not a permanent fixture in the team for the rest of the year
Hopefully Liam ryan is in this week for sheed

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ive found a direct learning point from last week in use to this weeks game, the center clearance of reid to yeo to maric at the end of the 3rd, Baz Williams last week let Maric run at Reid, In the freo game he put a block of Fyfe to let reid take on serong and young

Positive - Schoey’s quote in the first interview with Tom Cole

“I called it upstairs with Pav, he was hating it; good backline, West Coast win” 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 1713715551179.png
    1713715551179.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 25
Rewatching the 1st half.

Witherden has a yard of pace 😅

Give me strength he is the slowest plodder in our whole squad

We're playing better but Matt Rowell is gonna pull our pants down like he always does

Feel that oppo teams are going into games remembering our centre square set up of the last couple of years a young BW. Kelly getting tagged a Gaff and Sheed or West. With kids playing on the wings.

No big bodied mids.

Last two games.

BBBW, AA Yeo, Ried and Kelly.

Wingers Duggan and Ginbey.

Add to that our flankers are much faster and closing down play and pressuring it's a while new world.

We will surprise a few with how much we have changed in the middle.

Two 20 goal turn around's from the previous matches v Swans and Freo.

Back