Autopsy Round 8, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't get to watch the derby and didn't get to watch with the sound on (at a pub again). Loved the effort but we rely too much on too few, no wonder they get injured or so. Yeo injured is so shattering
..so Reid didn't do a hammy? Hope he and Waters aren't too sore. Shattered about the result, a bit more composure and could've won that, but proud of the boys.
I was watching him directly at that stage of the game, he was “chasing” the Bombers player at less than half rat power and then when the crowd were groaning like “what the hell Harley?” he then took off to run harder and then pulled up short and immediately reach for the hammy. Seemingly it was only cramp 🤞

Positives
Result hurts but it is nice to just be alive in games again. We are a very long way off the depths of last year and where North and the Hawks still are.
Jack Williams was great. Has been doing a solid job and building all year but that was massive.
Ginbey keeps building and showing plenty.
Chess was better than the past few games and had some good moments.

Negatives
Fingers crossed on the injuries.
Ryan way off the pace but we probably just have to suck that up.
Sheed shouldn't have played.
Cripps brain explosion.
Petch seems to find a way every week to get in a good spot and then do something horrendous which goes straight up the other end for a goal. Very frustrating.

The Schodown is up on youtube and Yeoy seems in good spirits - knock on wood it's not too bad
What is this talk from JD and Oscar on this clip that we were “down three on the bench” coming from?

Long, Yeo and…Reid? With his hamstring cramp? Hopefully there isn’t another unknown injury to come out of the game?

Thoughts on the umpiring? Not being flippant, and had a good old sook last week so you know I love the blame game.

Think that might have been the best/most invisible umpiring game ever. Thought they got most things right, got suckered into a few of our arm raise for some high frees is probably the worst they did and naturally I don’t care about that.

For a game where we arguably lost on a reversal, I reckon I’ve never been less inclined to criticise the umps than I am after that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, both were saying we were “three down” (JD) and “three short” (Oscar) on the bench in that last quarter not “down to three” on the bench.
Long , yeo and Reid.

Reid looks like he was cramping . They were stretching and rubbing his hammy on the bench .
You don't do that with an injury .

Probably just couldn't get it to loosen up so they didn't risk him .

Positives:

Ginbey. Looks more composed and footy IQ rising every game.

Barrass. No more comments of him being cooked because of his back speaks volumes, has been outstanding the last few weeks.

Fight. Last year 2nd half they would have Waltzed around us like witches hats. Whilst not ideal, losing by a goal and missing the 4 points is not the measure of success this year. Proud of the boys.

Snake and JWilliams. Made the most of limited opportunities and have improved out of sight, both have a future at the Eagles and life will get easier for them when Oscar is back.

Negatives:

Injuries to Yeo and Long. Devastated for both of them, Simmo did not sound positive on Long at all.

Rebound D50. Still lack pace and polish with ball in hand. Decision making particularly by LEdwards and Witherden was slow and costly. Both should be dropped and this must be a high priority during draft/trade weeks.

Sheed and Ryan. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but shouldn’t have been brought back into the team in the first place, underdone and underperformed. Both need to play WAFL for at least 3 weeks to find form and fitness. Full game for Harvey, Brockman and Maric back and give Hall a debut. Dewar or Burgiel should be considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back