Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Free Kick Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Day is a tall athlete taken pick 3 in gaffs year (experience). Injuries have held him back but he is beyond what we can match up on.
I think the bar is being set too low if we're not expecting our rucks to be competitive against Sam Day. Not being able to at least break even against him is subpar.

Not that raw HOs necessarily tell the whole story, but I think it was part of the wider narrative in the middle on the weekend.

I think the bar is being set too low if we're not expecting our rucks to be competitive against Sam Day. Not being able to at least break even against him is subpar.

Not that raw HOs necessarily tell the whole story, but I think it was part of the wider narrative in the middle on the weekend.
Jack’s just got a bit to work with is all. He doesn’t look like he’d be handy in the ruck put it that way. He at least doesn’t seem to be completely overawed like some young KPFs would

We gave away 12 free kicks at the coalface.
Kelly 5, Ginbey 4 and BW 3
Now if a majority of those frees were at stoppages that is a massive disadvantage.

Really need to rectify this and be smarter.

Maybe get some pointers of Sheed as he didn't give away one free kick all day.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's because he didn't do anything else of much value either. He is a hindrance to fluid movement. I don't want
him in the team. He is, in my eyes, a WAFL man nowadays.

Our lack of a true number one ruck was shown forr the second time this season. Briggs and Witts show that no matter how much B Williams has improved he is isn't the answer. I can only hope that Flynn can make it on the park and is the answer or else we need to look for more ruck back up next year.
A lot of negative thoughs about Jack Williamd but i thought in the las quarter he did well in against Witts.
I thought Jack Williams was starting to do a few more things took a mark or 2 on the wings and did a few other little things that showed he’s starting to get a feel for the game more. Think he’s progressing well

Just doesn’t quite have the confidence to use it as often as some might like.

heck sake, Ginbey's 19 and he's played 24 games of senior footy.

His numbers are fine, he's showed solid improvement already and given his age and draft pedigree he's tracking very well- if you go back and look at what someone like Yeo was producing at that age, it more or less identical- you get your real payoff with those guys when they approach 100 games.

About the worst thing you can say about him is he hasn't adapted to football as quickly as a guy who happens to be last years pick 1 and the single most impressive first year player in the last two decades - and yeah, no s**t.

Day was second ruck. Witts got 10 coaches votes. Witts with Day support destroyed us - that's were the bar is.

* sake, Ginbey's 19 and he's played 24 games of senior footy.

His numbers are fine, he's showed solid improvement already and given his age and draft pedigree he's tracking very well- if you go back and look at what someone like Yeo was producing at that age, it more or less identical- you get your real payoff with those guys when they approach 100 games.

About the worst thing you can say about him is he hasn't adapted to football as quickly as a guy who happens to be last years pick 1 and the single most impressive first year player in the last two decades - and yeah, no s**t.
That's so. But at 19 Rowell destroyed us with a BOG performance. That's the gap that Harley is shining a light on.

That's so. But at 19 Rowell destroyed us with a BOG performance. That's the gap that Harley is shining a light on.
Again not an apples/apples comparison, Rowell was a pick 1.

For someone drafted midway through the first round Ginbey is tracking a bit above par- he's immediately got a senior gig and this year is clearly holding his spot in the team on merit each week, that's really as much as you can ask.

The real payoff will come in a few more seasons when his experience starts to accumulate- being good enough to get selected each week means he will get to that point much faster.

To be fair Yeo was exclusively a HBF at Brisbane
Did Brisbane take the Sheezel route with him, or was it the position he was drafted as but he showed that he could be developed as a mid when we drafted him?
GInbey didn't play as a mid until his draft year, but he wasn't a stand out as a half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack’s just got a bit to work with is all. He doesn’t look like he’d be handy in the ruck put it that way. He at least doesn’t seem to be completely overawed like some young KPFs would

Absolutely agree the hitouts loss was too much of a tidal wave to hold back, definitely part of the narrative. But yeah do like the way JW went about it - he looked to be doing that thing oppo rucks always did to Naitanui where he held front spot, got his hands up and basically didn't allow them to get a hitout anywhere other than straight down in front of them - a 'planned loss' style of rucking.

Bailey always looks to go the full NN style outright win with his taps so when he loses he's not putting any physical pressure on the opposition hitout - glad enough that he's going for the win as our #1 ruck, better development to be proactive, but when Flynn comes in might not be a bad idea for him to lean more towards Jack's mitigating style at non-centre bounces especially

Did Brisbane take the Sheezel route with him, or was it the position he was drafted as but he showed that he could be developed as a mid when we drafted him?
GInbey didn't play as a mid until his draft year, but he wasn't a stand out as a half back.
We brought Yeo to West Coast in 2014 and it took him until 2018 to really cement himself as a midfielder.

He was similar to Ginbey in that he had all of the physical traits to be an inside bull but struggled to find the pill himself, so was often sent to the oppo's best mid.

Ginbey is definitely more tentative with ball in hand than Yeo was even in his first year IIRC.

Yeo was an AA calibre HBF as well. I still think he's one of the best I've seen down there. His closing speed on the lead was out of this world and his tackling as we know is up there with the best in the league over the past decade or so.

There's a part of me that would have loved to see his career pan out there. He was such a good mark in his early days, great leap and when he broke the lines then kicked it 60 it changed games for us.

Yeo was an AA calibre HBF as well. I still think he's one of the best I've seen down there. His closing speed on the lead was out of this world and his tackling as we know is up there with the best in the league over the past decade or so.

There's a part of me that would have loved to see his career pan out there. He was such a good mark in his early days, great leap and when he broke the lines then kicked it 60 it changed games for us.
What he showed mostly at Brisbane was an insane ability to run and carry out of d50. He was an aggressive runner which we prob don’t think of as much since he became an inside beast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back