Autopsy Round 4, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any way for us to splice Ginbey and Reid's DNA to create an army of Reidbeys? Asking for a friend.

Ginbeys frame with Reids swinging dick attitude and fend off... oooft

burger grease GIF

This absolutely worth a mention. Great/Fantastic to see someone at the club watch/review how the Tigers went about stopping the Swans do that 40 metre pass into the corridor and then have the team implement it successfully for a large part of the game. Building bricks- platforms- something to hang your hat on. I don't think I've seen the team implement any kind of tactical play like this in quite some years. It's exciting!
Wonder how much influence D Pyke had over strategy this game. His knowledge of Swans I assume was heavily tapped.

Missed the second half as had to take the family out but didn’t matter. First half was the most promising display I’ve seen in a long time and despite solid performances from others, to me, it largely seemed to flow on from Harley’s aggression and contest winning flowing onto others to have a bit more of a crack.

Players across the team seemed to work harder and I love the bit of campaigner Reid shows getting stuck into players around the ground - setting the tone I’m not going to lay down and take it, we’re going to make this hard for you I really hope this attitude rubs off onto hewett and Ginbey and we become a hard team.

Some negatives, early in the day it looked like deplorable skills would be our downfall, there’s still players on our list that just don’t have the skills of an afl player but these will get pushed out.

Green shoots, looking forward to what we can get with salary cap room to support this team and turnover the list. Saw McVee for the first time in ages this weekend and do want to get duggan or Cole out.

Think Chesser needs some time in the wafl, give anyone else a chance.

AFL also need to just stop with the game intervention and umpire consistently. Star footballers don’t need assistance to look even better than they already are to make the game more of a spectacle. Watching players like heeney and gulden able to be swung around in tackles and then just drop the ball only for play in to be called is just bullshit. Just stop it and call it straight for *s sake.

That was our best game for the year by a fair way. Yeo and Gov in particular are having outstanding seasons standing up against the flow and it was good to see a few others standing with them today.

+ Reid is the standout positive and provided he keeps progressing it shouldn't be out of the equation to name him as our first teenage captain next year. It's like the debate around splitting pick or just take him, just do it.

+ Our midfield is improving and stood toe to toe with Sydney for the most part. Ginbey is only 19, at worst he will be a solid AFL player but he could easily be more than that by the looks.

- Stil loads of negatives. * me dead. I don't want to go too far into individuals but collectively we have the worst 25-30 year old players imaginable. This is largely on Simmo

- coughed up another 100 points again today while kicking a score that could easily have won it, this is on Simmo (as I type this Carlton just beats Freo with a double up goal to hit 73 points). 😂 😂😂😂😂😂😂.

- said this for years Barrass and McGovern can't play in the same team but Simmo keeps doing it with the same result over and over and over. Simmo as above.

-Chesser is having a shocking 2024, is quite possibly another high draft pick bust
Not sure if you were being serious re the captaincy for next year - far too early for that lol albeit Harley is a very special player. Would still let Oscar continue as captain as he won’t be injured forever and then Harley can take over from him in due course - perhaps vice captain initially.

2 things i enjoyed and found memorable from Ginbeys game.

Firstly when he HAD to use his pace finally (as he should as a midfielder being chased by a ruckman) and burnt off Grundy, but more importantly hitting the short kick after for a nice goal assist.

The other was the couple times he just stood straight up as he was being tackled, and the tackle just fell off him. Tom Green does that a lot, should be encouraged.

16 disposals, 6 tackles, 4 clangers is a reasonable base for him. I do find it a bit odd he didn't have a single clearance all game though. How does a bloke who played at that many CBD's and around the ball finish without a clearance? Quite bizare.
Also was a play at half forward when we fluffed one of our forays forward. the ball went to space and Ginbey was outnumbered in a 2 on 1 and he held them up with great effort to get to the footy and scrap and make a contest of it. In the end he gave away an in the back free kick but he held them up for so long that by the time they were taking the kick we had players back in position. Great work rate and determination. Loved it.

Effort around the ground was a real positive. Team was in a game of footy that will move them forward with their development as they understand what it takes to compete.

Reids effort was unbelievable. Someone mentioned it before but it had the same feeling as the NN v the Hawks. Swans are strong and efficient tacklers. So fro him to do that to them was great. He creates instant dominoes at the stoppage as if he gets the ball one tackler isn't enough to stop him. So the second one goes to him and we have a free player and we're away.

Darling effort much improved. But we've said this before...that is the level he can play at so he needs to repeat it. If he cant due to soreness/injury then he needs a spell. Chase down, feels like its been a long time.

BWilliams game was good. Showed a bit in the air which I was out as a weakness last week. In saying that this week he wasn't being dragged forward where it really shows.

Good to see Long back to himself. That game was more in line with what we saw last year from him.

Best game from Yeo. Has been building and good to see Yeo classic.

I like Cole's game. He was agressive. A lot of those turn overs we caused Sydney to do in the first half he was involved with some outstanding chase down pressure to keep them under the pump. He had a few moments in the second half that were costly free kicks but compared to how he started the season I liked what I saw.

Mentioned above with Ginbey's efforts on the flank as well as the burst away from Grundy. Was better than previous weeks and hopefully building.

Chesser has to get confidence with his disposal. I actually think he could get more of the ball but I think he's afraid of turning it over (as he does that a fair bit when he gets it). Theres a been a few moments when he's been the obvious link to chip to but he runs off with his back to the ball and player with the ball has to look elsewhere as he can see Chesser isn't looking. I put this down to a confidence taking ownership of possession thing rather than I didn't know I shouldn't have my back to the footy thing.

Also the much maligned coaches. We had a plan for Sydney and it worked. Even if they copied it from Richmond (All good coaches are thieves after all) they implemented it with our group showing the group can listen to them.

Not sure if you were being serious re the captaincy for next year - far too early for that lol albeit Harley is a very special player. Would still let Oscar continue as captain as he won’t be injured forever and then Harley can take over from him in due course - perhaps vice captain initially.
He doesn't need to be in the leadership to lead by example. I feel like he already does that. The type of player that can lift his teammates by his actions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would look even better in red and white if we had got pick 16, their 1R this year and Sheldrick.
No way, you must have a short memory of those games when he was out injured last year and we had hough and oscar on charlie curnow

No way, you must have a short memory of those games when he was out injured last year and we had hough and oscar on charlie curnow
Not at all. I accept we’d lose our second best defender but that would have given us Darcy Wilson (or traded down for Hardeman), Sheldrick and probably Mraz or Hotton this year based on form to date. If we’re questioning memory you’ll actually recall we were more competitive after Barrass went out, not less. Would have been very happy for Jamo and HEdwards to toil away this year and next (HEdwards as a rookie), draft a KPD, trade for Buss and throw the chequebook at Sam Taylor next year. Hanging onto players without seeing the bigger picture is what got us in this position in the first place. If he wanted to go I would have done it in a heartbeat.

Not at all. I accept we’d lose our second best defender but that would have given us Darcy Wilson (or traded down for Hardeman), Sheldrick and probably Mraz or Hotton this year based on form to date. If we’re questioning memory you’ll actually recall we were more competitive after Barrass went out, not less. Would have been very happy for Jamo and HEdwards to toil away this year and next (HEdwards as a rookie), draft a KPD, trade for Buss and throw the chequebook at Sam Taylor next year. Hanging onto players without seeing the bigger picture is what got us in this position in the first place. If he wanted to go I would have done it in a heartbeat.
This is pretty good, kudos. Agree to disagree on the second last sentence though

This is pretty good, kudos. Agree to disagree on the second last sentence though
Happy to amend it to “part of the reason” if it gets you on board. It’s probably more reflective of what I meant anyway, there’s a number of reasons we are where we are that’s just one of them.

Part of the issue is 18 teams diluting the talent pool but Duggan has no excuses for his poor kicking especially unforced poor kicking.
The number of teams is increasing but our population growth has been even faster. There are more potential footballers per capita with 18 teams than there was when we last had 16 teams. I think the issue is more to do with developing 'athletes' rather than 'footballers'.

Duggan is copping it way too harshly for this game. He had about 3 turnovers from 30 disposals, went at 80% disposal efficiency for the match. Yes one of his turnovers cost us a goal but don't forget McGovern stuffed a 15m kick-in that was saved by the Sydney player hitting the post. Harley also gave away 4 frees including the 50m penalty which cost us a goal.

I'd suggest a re-watch of Duggan if you think he was that bad

Why all the dumping on her? She is just doing her job. It is tantamount to bullying. Someone doesn't like her voice and everyone jumps on board. Let her do her job!

Same.

Don't really understand why people are so obsessed with her.

By no means is she top tier but she's certainly a long way from the bottom of the list.

Why all the dumping on her? She is just doing her job. It is tantamount to bullying. Someone doesn't like her voice and everyone jumps on board. Let her do her job!
I'd get more enjoyment in listening to the cats screeching, in heat, for 24 hours.

She is terrible.

It's not bullying. She's rubbish.

I'd get more enjoyment in listening to the cats screeching, in heat, for 24 hours.

She is terrible.

It's not bullying. She's rubbish.
Even that is an understatement. If she’s on then I have the TV on mute. It’s the content, the annoying voice is almost insignificant after her rubbish comments. Would rather hammer bamboo skewers under my fingernails and scratch out my ear drums.

because she is terrible at her job - she has no real idea about commentating a game apart from regurgitating a plethora of cliches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back