Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Been some exciting footy played so far this weekend (thought I’d never be caught saying that again). Common theme: fast, aggressive ball use. Notable for me that even when defending narrow leads late in games, both Port and Freo continued to look to score rather than shut up shop.

View attachment 1973002

Umpiring still worse than herpes but
Just keeping you hanging on Rip. Now it'll be sh!te for another month 😂

This may be more suited to the list management sentiment, but we don't spend a lot of time identifying players from the fringes of other squads and seeing if they can develop into best 22 players for us.

We mostly have gone for big fish high profile types that clearly are best 22. The biggest bargain bin we look in is clearly developed players that have had big injuries. We are very risk adverse when it comes tp backing ourselves to correctly develop players on our list. The closest I can thing of is Ah Chee, and he's not terrible but barely more consistent then he was at 21.

This may be more suited to the list management sentiment, but we don't spend a lot of time identifying players from the fringes of other squads and seeing if they can develop into best 22 players for us.

We mostly have gone for big fish high profile types that clearly are best 22. The biggest bargain bin we look in is clearly developed players that have had big injuries. We are very risk adverse when it comes tp backing ourselves to correctly develop players on our list. The closest I can thing of is Ah Chee, and he's not terrible but barely more consistent then he was at 21.
I think the closest was Linc which has been a great get but maybe he was in the injured camp as opposed to a big name. Cal too as you pointed out but Linc is the pic for mine

I think the closest was Linc which has been a great get but maybe he was in the injured camp as opposed to a big name. Cal too as you pointed out but Linc is the pic for mine
Linc was definitely a player that Geelong didn't want to let go before joining. He played 26 games in 5 seasons at the cats and then has played 103 in 5 seasons for us (not including an additional 7 games so far in his 6th season for us). From my recollection his lack of games at the cats was only due to injuries.

We have had busts in the same period, Cockatoo is the first obvious one that comes to mind that cost us a similar amount (basically nothing) as McCarthy did.

This isn't as easy as it sounds.

You are trying to attract a fringe best 22 player to move States, and asking him to fight for a similar spot here. And they're not the type of player you give a long or high paying contract to.

There are two types of players willing to move States.

The first type are players signing a long term contract on decent coin, typically a "name" player who is more than likely guaranteed a starting spot.

The second type are players on their last chance. Whether that's due to injuries curtailing their career, behavioural issues, or players with marginal talent looking to stick on a list.

You are trying to attract a fringe best 22 player to move States, and asking him to fight for a similar spot here. And they're not the type of player you give a long or high paying contract to.

The first type are players signing a long term contract on decent coin, typically a "name" player who is more than likely guaranteed a starting spot.

The second type are players on their last chance. Whether that's due to injuries curtailing their career, behavioural issues, or players with marginal talent looking to stick on a list.
I'm not trying to suggest list management is easy in any way shape or form. I also acknowledge we don't have as many options of players with half decent careers returning home for unders.

We have as such looked mostly for value in players who have seemed to be highly rated / had shown significant upside that have been curtailed by injury.

This is more of a statement about us looking for serious depth in state leagues / mid season drafts. This year is perhaps the first year we have actually had the list space and LTI for us to perhaps look seriously, however the concept just doesn't seem to be in the DNA of how our list management operates. Besides guys playing on our reserves team already, who was the last state league player we picked up as a rookie that didn't have previous AFL experience? Was is Oscar?

you missed the third and probably most common reason: players drafted interstate looking to return to their home state

not really a source of talent for us but may become so in the future

Eagles forwardline functioning well without Oscar Allen. Wonder if there’s another team who wouldn’t mind having him….

Gold Coast doing a job on west coast
Tom berry looks almost there
Just turns it over occasionally with a bad kick or decision
But he bloody fights to make up for it
Because of that I ll back him in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody watching this game realise Gunston is playing? Almost a quarter in and 0 disposals, 1 free against

To be fair to gunners hawthorn has barely had the ball And are getting reamed

Shirley not Nunez.

What do you have against detecting?

No Idea Reaction GIF by Acorn TV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back