Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Tigers v Demons Wed April 24th 7:25pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 39 58.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Geelong supporter you'd absolutely love the umpires wouldn't you?
I'd love to swap the way our jumper is umpired compared to yours.

We’ve lost every free kick count this season

wtf is that comment supposed to mean 😂😂

Grown men gathering to propose that another group of grown men conspire to deliberately adjudicate ALL grown men in a certain jumper differently to another group of grown men in a different jumper. My God football is glorious

Grown men gathering to propose that another group of grown men conspire to deliberately adjudicate ALL grown men in a certain jumper differently to another group of grown men in a different jumper. My God football is glorious
Both teams were definitely umpires differently last night, ones Melbourne got that Richmond didn’t, happened from the start to finish. Didn’t affect the result but 24-12 and it happens to us weekly.

You're obviously happy with the standard of umpiring.
As long as Geelong supporters are satisfied I guess :rolleyes:

Both teams were definitely umpires differently last night, ones Melbourne got that Richmond didn’t, happened from the start to finish. Didn’t affect the result but 24-12 and it happens to us weekly.

Before last night your team averaged -4.7 frees per game my team averaged -4 frees per game.

How ‘favoured’ do you think the Cats are 😂😂😂

Where did I say I am?

It doesn’t mean I think it is deliberate.

Just because I’m unhappy with my team’s performance doesn’t mean I think they’re deliberately shanking kicks
It may not be deliberate. It may be subconscious but when you club goes 8 years with the worst free kick ratio. Where not only are they the most consistently undisciplined team in VFL/AFL history, no matter the game plan, personal or coach, giving away more free kicks than any other club. For some unexplained reason every other club is also their most disciplined when playing Richmond, geeing away less free kicks than any other club.

May not be deliberate, but it's a consist discrepancy that has never been explained. Some in the media who claim to have inside information insist that it is deliberate by the AFL in revenge for the behaviour of some in the 'Hub' during Covid. But it was happening well before 2020.

Of course you're not concerned. Your club doesn't suffer statistically implausible umpiring inconsistencies.

It may not be deliberate. It may be subconscious but when you club goes 8 years with the worst free kick ratio. Where not only are they the most consistently undisciplined team in VFL/AFL history, no matter the game plan, personal or coach, giving away more free kicks than any other club. For some unexplained reason every other club is also their most disciplined when playing Richmond, geeing away less free kicks than any other club.

May not be deliberate, but it's a consist discrepancy that has never been explained. Some in the media who claim to have inside information insist that it is deliberate by the AFL in revenge for the behaviour of some in the 'Hub' during Covid. But it was happening well before 2020.

Of course you're not concerned. Your club doesn't suffer statistically implausible umpiring inconsistencies.
This is the thing that can’t be explained, sure we played on the edge under dimmas reign and gave away more frees but it’s the frees we don’t get that gets us. The amount of times we see frees being paid to the opposition but the same thing not being given to Richmond is ludicrous. We are top for free kicks given away and amongst the bottom for free kicks given, definitely if not deliberate than an unconscious bias that’s happened year after year.

Just an observation and not trying to be inflammatory but your comment is pretty accurate for the outcomes of most of world history. It is nearly always groups of "grown" men that do everything. That is our human history. It isn't women or children, it's men, and in football or other major sports it's still men.

There should be nothing surprising about what groups of grown men can do no matter how ridiculous or deleterious.

It is sounding like there are a number of other practices in the AFL that go on behind the scenes that are being protected from within. When it comes to the umpiring it isn't hard to believe that something dodgy might be going on there and it's precisely because groups of grown men are involved. I'd hope it isn't the case but we men have a terrible track record.

It is nearly always groups of "grown" men that do everything. That is our human history. It isn't women or children, it's men
manly GIF

This is the thing that can’t be explained, sure we played on the edge under dimmas reign and gave away more frees but it’s the frees we don’t get that gets us. The amount of times we see frees being paid to the opposition but the same thing not being given to Richmond is ludicrous. We are top for free kicks given away and amongst the bottom for free kicks given, definitely if not deliberate than an unconscious bias that’s happened year after year.

Things I do believe is that certain players come with biases: I don’t disagree with that. Umpires will perceive that players sail close to the wind and mark them a bit harsher - an obvious one for us was Mooney who while indisciplined at times also gave away 80 more free kicks than he ever received (230 to 150) and often it was just for looking at an opponent the wrong way whereas obviously you have a Selwood who was completely the opposite and made an art form out of getting free kicks. I don’t doubt for a second that umpires have preconceptions about individuals based on their attitude and aggression levels etc.

My own NRL team has this problem with two players in particular: Victor Radley sails close to the wind with his style but honestly only has to breathe on an opponent and he gets penalised or sin binned and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is the same. Both of them to a degree have made a rod for their own backs with some poor discipline at times but even the commentators have got to the point of acknowledging that it’s become a joke. But I don’t think my actual team itself, as much as we tend to suffer at the hands of the penalty count at times, are targeted.

I don't think the Demons were good last night.

They were actually awful, we just had a ton of injuries. they had guys like Gawn, May & Lever carry them.

They have their own issues forward & tonight showed teams need to be putting more time into Petracca thought Pickett did a really good job on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the Demons were good last night.

They were actually awful, we just had a ton of injuries. they had guys like Gawn, May & Lever carry them.

They have their own issues forward & tonight showed teams need to be putting more time into Petracca thought Pickett did a really good job on him.
No doubt we're playing like trash at the moment. Most of our good players are way down in form (Petracca, Viney, Oliver, Petty) so I'll take the 40 point win.

We still have Salem and Bowey to come into our best 22 to help our ball use as well as Shane McAdam who should boost our forward line.

Things I do believe is that certain players come with biases: I don’t disagree with that. Umpires will perceive that players sail close to the wind and mark them a bit harsher - an obvious one for us was Mooney who while indisciplined at times also gave away 80 more free kicks than he ever received (230 to 150) and often it was just for looking at an opponent the wrong way whereas obviously you have a Selwood who was completely the opposite and made an art form out of getting free kicks. I don’t doubt for a second that umpires have preconceptions about individuals based on their attitude and aggression levels etc.

My own NRL team has this problem with two players in particular: Victor Radley sails close to the wind with his style but honestly only has to breathe on an opponent and he gets penalised or sin binned and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is the same. Both of them to a degree have made a rod for their own backs with some poor discipline at times but even the commentators have got to the point of acknowledging that it’s become a joke. But I don’t think my actual team itself, as much as we tend to suffer at the hands of the penalty count at times, are targeted.
We have our own, Nankervis, FF 162 / f** 268. Nank is a bit of an enforcer, so not reading anything into it. (But he doesn't get many frees for a ruckman.)

We have our own, Nankervis, FF 162 / f** 268. Nank is a bit of an enforcer, so not reading anything into it. (But he doesn't get many frees for a ruckman.)

Mooney was a bit the same and I don’t doubt that a number were for just being a dickhead.
But he wasn’t well liked either and tended to lose the 50-50s and Nakervis probably suffers in the same way

Mooney was a bit the same and I don’t doubt that a number were for just being a dickhead.
But he wasn’t well liked either and tended to lose the 50-50s and Nakervis probably suffers in the same way
Well they both had a similar attitude.

Not liked by umps, but Nankervis should be liked by the footy public, because although he is hard he is usually fair, and makes players earn it much the same way as Budda Hocking did for you back in the day. I loved the way Hocking went about it, hard as nails and you knew you were playing against him, if he got a chance he gave it, but rarely enough to get reported. Mooney, Nank and Hocking, old fashioned footballers.

May is a dick but if that’s a reference to the one late in the third quarter I don’t think it was a stage I think it was a reflex because he did get hit across the face/chin/neck. Definitely not enough to actually cause anything more than a momentary sting but it would have caused a reaction. He immediately got on with play and tried to dispose of the ball. I know what you mean because his head went back but compared to a lot of his other w***ery I didn’t have an issue with that
He got lightly tapped on the shoulder.

Back