Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

thats why ive said for a long time Finn O'Sullivan likely pick 1 unless a KPP stands up imo like Jobe Shanahan ect and a club picks them for need, Smillie is an effective kick, just lacks some running power from a contest or congestion which holds him back from the top 3 or so imo because he feeds runners, he never seems to be the runner being fed so combine results will determine the capacity he has going forward, it holds him back a little though, Smith is good and can find the footy, but lacks a bit physically and skill wise, still a very good player with good avoidance ect, like people have pointed out, there arent many built like Butters that dominate the inside, i think hes somewhere between Zac Fisher and Zak Butters, lacks the courage and strength of will of Butters which is a rare commodity.

if we have pick 1/2, i think we would look at Finn O'Sullivan or Jobe Shanahan

Finn O'Sullivan an all round midfielder, great pack mark midfielder, beautiful kicking technique

Jobe Shanahan - 194cm KPF from Bendigo/NSW playing for the Allies at the champs, we could use a tall forward with Lewis and Chol being good but not great and to pick up a potential great KPF could be what we look at?
Is this draft a bit weaker than usual at the top end?

Is this draft a bit weaker than usual at the top end?
i think the top 3 will be Finn O'Sullivan, Levi Ashcroft and a smokey like Jobe Shanahan as a 194cm KPF, he looks like a fantastic KPF and his height updated from 192cm to 194cm and that gives him the height to be a legitimate KPF which was holding me back a little, but i think he has a lot of potential with his contested marking and general quality play as a KPF, but the champs will determine that, i think after that 3 theres Josh Smillie a large mid/3rd tall defender hbf, but theres plenty of football to be played before its set in stone, but its what im thinking at the moment, its hard to compare to other years, but they are all very strong performers with good traits.

I couldnt find a separate mid season draft thread, feel free to move this or delete it if there is one.

It seems that Jack Hutchinson has been generating mid season draft buzz since before the season even began. Hutchinson is a mid sized lead up forward with excellent athletic traits, strong overhead and below his knees. He also has the ability to pull of the spectacular at times.

I couldnt find a separate mid season draft thread, feel free to move this or delete it if there is one.

It seems that Jack Hutchinson has been generating mid season draft buzz since before the season even began. Hutchinson is a mid sized lead up forward with excellent athletic traits, strong overhead and below his knees. He also has the ability to pull of the spectacular at times.

Enjoy his year now as his career unfortunately is about to come to a grinding halt at the mid season draft.

Another excellent Colts performance from Kayle Gerreyn. He dominated his opponents in the ruck all day providing hit outs to advantage his teammates or often just grabbing the ball and driving it forwards himself. He even showed some of his potential as a key forward, chipping in with two goals.

Filling in some of the back catalogue.

Trainor had a fantastic opening game to the Talent League season and put all draft watchers on notice. His kicking skills were a particular feature here, direct, attacking and precise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are the potential KPP risers this year?

Generally they announce themselves throughout the season (Darcy, DGB, MacDonald, JVR, etc).

Are they any that could push into the top three/four?
Best 3 by position and 5 mids (unlucky to miss)

KPF: Jobe Shanahan, Jonty Faull, Tyler Welsh
KPD: Harry O'Farrell, Luke Trainor, Zaydyn Lockwood (Noah Mraz)

Mids: Finn O'Sullivan, Levi Ashcroft, Josh Smillie, Leonado Lombard, Jagga Smith (Sid Draper)
Wings: Taj Hotton, Xavier Lindsay, Lucas Camporeale (Lucas McInerney)
Rucks: Kayle Gerryn, Flynn Penry, Zac Harding

Forws: Josh Murphy, Isaac Kako, Benny Barrett (Joe Berry + Jesse Dattoli)
Defs: Tobie Travaglia, Louis Montgomery, Austin Van Der Struyf
There's a list of best per position I did recently, Jack Whitlock is another from Murray I could add a 197cm kpf with speed and a good mark.

Smillie's kicking concerns me a bit. Appears rushed a lot of the time.

Would be a real kick in the teeth to bottom out completely and get pick 1 in a season without a genuine stand out gun to use it on.

We won't be finishing 18th so you don't need to worry.

Hotton's first game of the season was a sign of things to come. His competitiveness and excellent athletic attributes were on display here, the only thing that let him down was his accuracy in front of goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back