Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoyed that - heart stopping at the end and I thought here we go umps are going to get involved.

Shed a tear watching Calsher - such a bitter sweet moment for the family

Thought everyone played their role today but special mentions to scrimshaw - previously would of dropped his head after such a very visual smack down by the coach last week, Weddle - he will be a star, Impy, Newc, Frost and Day

I feel bad not listing them all

On a side note, Bont is a special type of player. We need one of them
Bont is a star but sheesh, doesn’t get too many frees paid against him. He’s well looked after.

Jack Reiwoldt provides some pretty insightful special comments

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good caller. Saw him win a longest kick competition when he was 14 or so and kick a lazy 6 or so for Tassie VFL against the North Melbourne aligned North Ballarat? as a kid (Jade Rawlings kicked 8). Had a real feel for the game. Could have been a Hawk too. Alas Thorp.

He would actually be a pretty good assistant coach IMO. Has a very good knowledge of the nuances of the game as well as strategy. Does rabbit on a bit but alot of what he says is insightful and what you want out of a special comments guy.
Can’t help but think Jack is a secret Hawks ticket holder when he commentates. Nearly hear a bit of barracking sometimes.

Nash 9 tackles.
Worpel 8 tackles.
Newk 7 tackles.

This is what we need more of in 2024.

We don't yet have the polish to go 4 quarters on the outside so these guys need to crack in hard in the inside if we are to win games.

We aren't going to be winning shootouts any time soon so get down and dirty.

Meek had 6, and both Moore and Ginnivan had 5. Those a great numbers for a ruckman and HFF/small forwards.

I was really worried about the optics of this, I hope he pulled Watson in after his huge effort on the wing told him how awesome it was. Can't blame the lad for not quite having the composure in the biggest moment career so far, that'll come.

He's an emotional lad Sic, and moved heaven and earth for the team today, that one moment doesn't define him.
He was interviewed after the final siren and said (paraphrasing) he shouldn't have let his frustration show but he'd chat with him after the game to check in.

I'm really glad we won in the end and that Watson was able to have a big say in that with his pressure acts in the last 2 minutes. A miss like that effectively costing the result would have been devastating for him. That miss (on top of his other "easy misses" this year) and Sicily's reaction to it would've likely found itself a talking point in the media. With the win it can be laughed about and the focus can be on more positive things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no.

Not his first few minutes of the first quarter. Got involved in quite a pile up with lots of push, shove, crash and bash going on when as leader he really needed to be the one who pulled our players out of there and concentrate on the game that was ongoing.

Plus the you know the MRO will always look for something out of nothing and Sicily gave him something to look at.

So gutsy to come back after his shoulder was out and then later his ankle getting some attention. To go forward was a great move and added something.

Certainly his best game for the year after the early scuffles.
He's tried to play it cool and "mature" in games this year and the opposition have targeted him to put him off his game and antagonise him into doing stupid things. I think he was trying to get ahead of it this week by being the bigger pest and have them react to him.

Don’t forget FROST - has been massive this year (despite being most people’s whipping boy) - that guy doesn’t know how not to give 100%
He has been. Though if I forgot anyone it was Impey. Would easily be in his top 5 games for us.

CBA's out of a max of 31:
27 - Meek
24 - Newcombe
22 - Day
19 - Nash
16 - Worpel
8 - Moore
4 - Mackenzie
4 - Dear

The TOG stats were interesting:
79% - Newcombe
78% - Day
71% - Worpel
70% - Nash

Newcombe was clamped in the second half. Day was ineffectual the whole game, with 12 touches and too many up-and-under kicks, and both Worpel and Nash played reduced gametime (symptom of not being able to be rested forward?). But we still won despite that.
Yeah, we persisted and gave great effort but Doggies fans would be filthy.

Sis was also injured x3

An unusual win but we'll take it.

Tremendous team effort from the boys today!
Sam and the coaches came with a plan and they stuck to it with every player committed to playing their role.
Early on with the dogs kicking two goals in quick succession, they kept their heads up and had belief and resilience.
Every time they were challenged, they rallied which is an excellent sign from such a young team.
Significant performances:
Sicily overcoming the devastating dislocated shoulder and rolled ankle to lead the young team. Played tough, was brave and courageous.
Jarman Impey’s intercept marking was a real highlight.
Lloyd Meek taking on English and undoubtedly taking the points. Used his frame incredibly well and gave a real contest each and every time.
The unlikely trio of Sam Frost, Jack Scrimshaw and Josh Weddle stopping the Bulldogs talls.
Winning the tackle count for the first time this year.
Conor Nash and Jai Newcombe leading the midfield through grit and toughness.
Calsher Dear kicking two goals, making contests and crashing packs.
Massimo Dambrosio going back courageously in front of Aaron Naughton in the goal square.
The Wiz making a contest against two dogs players and then following up with a tremendous tackle.
What a win!

Last edited:
He was interviewed after the final siren and said (paraphrasing) he shouldn't have let his frustration show but he'd chat with him after the game to check in.

I'm really glad we won in the end and that Watson was able to have a big say in that with his pressure acts in the last 2 minutes. A miss like that effectively costing the result would have been devastating for him. That miss (on top of his other "easy misses" this year) and Sicily's reaction to it would've likely found itself a talking point in the media. With the win it can be laughed about and the focus can be on more positive things.
You are 100% correct, it could have heaped a load of pressure on sic as captain had things gone differently. Now it'll be something we laugh at and call him a peanut about.

That was bloody fantastic! So glad i went.

Calsher Dear's debut, holy crap that was something special. Beyond the marks and goals, just to see the aerial contests and how hard he hits the packs. And to put him in the ruck in the last quarter when the game's on the line, and didn't seem fazed one bit. In fact from that first mark he looked like he belonged. Watched him in the warm up and slotted nearly all goals, so reckon we've landed a good one here.

Jarman Impey. 3 votes. Superb game. In fact we wouldn't have won without him. Just killed it today on half back with intercept marks and pinpoint passes. Scrimshaw also played quite possibly his best game in the brown and gold

How bloody exciting was it to see James Sicily move to the goal square! He was always going to win us the game. And on one leg too. Bloody hell he was in the wars. Amazed to see him return after popping the shoulder, and then yet again with the foot. Might deserve a week off next week.

So good to see Jai back in form, and thought Connor Nash was very handy all day too.

C-Mac and Weddle were as exciting AF, and both scored extradordinary goals. Gunston was superb too and prob should've kick 4 or 5.

Ginnivan is simply the recruit of the year. A legit match winner, but he's also really unselfish and hard at the ball too and laid some fierce tackles.

Anyway, as Hawks supporters we all thoroughly deserved that after what's been a pretty rough year. Bulldogs are no pushovers with Bont, Naughton and English all absolute class

After conceding 3 goals in 5 mins without us basically touching the ball, to not only comeback and dominate the game, but then keep our composure to stem the late charge was as a character building win as i remember.
Drop the mic this sums it all up perfectly👍
Go Hawkers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back