Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Captains game from Sicily.

Ginnivan in the last quarter was great.

Where has this Weddle been?? This is what we need him doing.

Meek, Scrimshaw and Impey 👏

Dear showed real promise, love how he attacks packs.

Connor McDonald has all the tools but until he stops thinking he’s god’s gift I’ll be concerned about him.

We need this game plan and freedom for the rest of the year. Not the slow ball movement from the past 7 rounds.

Play like this and we can be competitive
It was actually the tackling and the pressure. First time it's shown up all year. Question will be, can we bring it week in week out?

I know there's some serious questions about Beveridge atm but I reckon there needs to be some serious questions put towards the Bulldogs medical team after Libba had that clash with Amon. He copped the brunt of it and on one of the angles you could see his eyes rolling a fair bit with a slight stumble similar to the last game he got concussed. IMO he should've been subbed out but they sent him back out there only to cop more hits as the game went on.

I reckon he'll cop a week for his slam tackle on Day but the guy should be in concussion protocol anyways. I wouldn't wan't my kid playing for the Dogs because it doesn't seem like their players health is priority #1 at all.

It was actually the tackling and the pressure. First time it's shown up all year. Question will be, can we bring it week in week out?
Just watched the game now and that is what impressed me the most. It wasn’t just a case of guarding space, but they were applying so much pressure by closing that space quickly on the dogs. That takes a hell of a lot of effort. Very satisfying to watch.

Wow. What an amazing game to witness. We got off to the all too familiar start being 3 or 4 goals down without hardly even an entry into our forward line and thinking here we go again. Need to keep on working on this during the week so we dont always need to climb uphill and be working from behind to try to catch up from the very start.

But boy, when we do fight we showed we can fight hard and have what it takes to compete. The bulldogs should be a much better side than what they consistently show, eg. how they played and completely ran over the Saints. We had the belief to get ourselves back into it and we were the better side and deserved to win. Could have gone either way but the whole team stepped up when we needed them too and it was a win to remember.

Just a few mentions below:

C Dear - what a great way to start your career. Natural footballer and will only get better with more experience and muscle. Has a bright future ahead in Hawks colours.

C Mac - Has alot of doubters and he can be frustrating at times, has the ability but sometimes can be abit sloppy or goes missing, He was great today and he showed he can be a really strong contributor to the team.

D Moore - Just never gives up. Anywhere he is on the ground you know he will give it his all. So glad we have him in our side. Future captain.

J Ginnivan - Has added much versatility to his game, he has shown he is not just a goalsneak but can play a really important role all over the ground, Has real footy smarts and should grow into a leader for this side.

J Sicily - Showed alot of courage to come back on after dislocating his shoulder. Was surprised to see him forward, but it worked. He reads the play so well that and provides such a strong contested mark, it ended up being the player we really needed in the forward line in the last half. I hope Ethan Phillips can get some game time because it could free Sic to play up the ground even more. He can play anywhere.

N Watson - Its just nerves thats hurting his kicking in front of goal. Once he settles down he will be just fine, but Sic didnt hold back on his reaction and neither did I. He made up for it with his ferocity and tackling pressure in the last few minutes when the game was on the line. As long as he brings that every game then its all good, the goals will come in due time.

J Weddle - Is just an absolute gun. He can do it all. He is Mr Fix it, if there is any hole or plug to fill he can do it. Would love to see him more in the middle and delivering into the forward line, but we needed him to play down back and he shutout JUH excellently. Cant believe he is only 19 and only his second season. Was a masterstroke to trade up to get him at pick 18. Love watching him play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the replay cos I couldn't watch the game live.

• Completely outcoached Bev. None of their best players played a great game except Bont. We shut down all the key play makers one way or another.
  • All about movement and intensity - they had no room. Even the uncontested possies we were putting pressure on and closed down space everywhere. And more imporatntly - our mids charged at the player that was going to receive the ball instead of the player with the ball. Made a massive difference to how much reward we got for our tackles (Creating turnovers).
  • Players that can take marks change the game. Calsher took a good outlet mark on a back flank in the first quarter and it just changes the opposiiton's confidence.
  • Meek is a beast and is playing like a 4th or 5th midfielder. He patrols the centre square and now has teammate confidence to go to him to straighten up play. Loving his improvement.
  • Ginnivan and Watson are really excellent without the footy. Soooo many things they do, and very fast thinkers.
  • Weddle's best game? Looked so confident. Pretty handy that he can play key back!
  • Moorey getting more involved
  • we played tough - really crunched in for the ball.
  • MacKenzie is interesting - looking better every game but obvs no stamina.
  • CMac needd a game like this

I think we were pretty damn good overall and doggies were kinda lucky to get that close.

How ******* good is it to make the opposition pay for mistakes instead of the other way around?

Wow. What an amazing game to witness. We got off to the all too familiar start being 3 or 4 goals down without hardly even an entry into our forward line and thinking here we go again. Need to keep on working on this during the week so we dont always need to climb uphill and be working from behind to try to catch up from the very start.

But boy, when we do fight we showed we can fight hard and have what it takes to compete. The bulldogs should be a much better side than what they consistently show, eg. how they played and completely ran over the Saints. We had the belief to get ourselves back into it and we were the better side and deserved to win. Could have gone either way but the whole team stepped up when we needed them too and it was a win to remember.

Just a few mentions below:

C Dear - what a great way to start your career. Natural footballer and will only get better with more experience and muscle. Has a bright future ahead in Hawks colours.

C Mac - Has alot of doubters and he can be frustrating at times, has the ability but sometimes can be abit sloppy or goes missing, He was great today and he showed he can be a really strong contributor to the team.

D Moore - Just never gives up. Anywhere he is on the ground you know he will give it his all. So glad we have him in our side. Future captain.

J Ginnivan - Has added much versatility to his game, he has shown he is not just a goalsneak but can play a really important role all over the ground, Has real footy smarts and should grow into a leader for this side.

J Sicily - Showed alot of courage to come back on after dislocating his shoulder. Was surprised to see him forward, but it worked. He reads the play so well that and provides such a strong contested mark, it ended up being the player we really needed in the forward line in the last half. I hope Ethan Phillips can get some game time because it could free Sic to play up the ground even more. He can play anywhere.

N Watson - Its just nerves thats hurting his kicking in front of goal. Once he settles down he will be just fine, but Sic didnt hold back on his reaction and neither did I. He made up for it with his ferocity and tackling pressure in the last few minutes when the game was on the line. As long as he brings that every game then its all good, the goals will come in due time.

J Weddle - Is just an absolute gun. He can do it all. He is Mr Fix it, if there is any hole or plug to fill he can do it. Would love to see him more in the middle and delivering into the forward line, but we needed him to play down back and he shutout JUH excellently. Cant believe he is only 19 and only his second season. Was a masterstroke to trade up to get him at pick 18. Love watching him play.
Might be an unpopular opinion on this board but I'm way more comfortable with Scrim, Frost or Weddle playing a few CMs outsized than I would be with Phillips in the side. The difference in talent between those guys and Phillips more than makes up for it.

As it stands, Phillips is depth. He's not getting a run unless we're desperate.

Sammy had a fantastic day in the coaches' box. Felt his moves were on point all match. Gave Bevo a bath. And despite the doomsday brigade pre-game, it seems we got the selections spot on.

I thought Nash was great today. The pick of our midfielders. Hard and tough. Undervalued a bit in commentary. He really is a barometer.

Also Meek's transformation this season has been quite amazing. He finally looks like he is enjoying his size. Playing with intensity and aggression. Just constantly getting involved. If he hasn't had the best of his ruck opponent each week he has at worst broken even. Loving watching him play.

Grats to Calsher! Doesn't look out of place, good on the young kid that tries hard. Awesome, craploads better than Watson. And to Gunner, who performed well out of full-forward in the first half.

On MacKenzie,, my opinion is that he needs to work on his off-side. What seems to slow him down a bit is switching back to his dominant hand or foot a lot. He got swamped in the first quarter as a result of this, and it cost a goal (their third I thjnk) He needs to feel comfortable on both sides to become that inside player who has time.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back