Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

Who fits our needs more out of Smith, Smillie or O'Sullivan?
OSullivan for mine. He’s evasive like Jagga but bigger. He’s the class I think. Jagga I love but he’s tiny. Smilie in the first few games looks good but disposal by foot not great and he is more inside and a stand up in a tackle player than a line breaker like Finn. Unfortunately I feel he’s going west. Tbh I would have Christian Moraes ahead of smith and smilie he’s all damage exactly what our midfield lacks.

Another excellent performance in what's shaping up to be a big year for Taj Hotton. If this form continues, especially through the Champs season, then he'll have to be firmly in top 10 contention.

Anyone know much about this kid? At this stage we don't have a spare list spot for the MSD but he might be worth a look depending on how our injury deleted backline holds up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who fits our needs more out of Smith, Smillie or O'Sullivan?
Smillie, followed closely by O'Sullivan.

Smillie has more POD's in terms of height, speed, athleticism and grunt in the contest. O'Sullivan is a real smooth mover, has a turn of speed and flys for his marks.

Smith lacks any real elite athletcism. With his body type he would be looking at Butters, but I doubt he will be as lucky.

I would only compare Smillie and O'Sullivan to be on a comparable level to the Wardlaw, Callaghan, McKercher points of difference. Smith and Moraes are not on that level currently, in terms of game style or outstanding athletic traits.

Smillie has more POD's in terms of height, speed, athleticism and grunt in the contest. O'Sullivan is a real smooth mover, has a turn of speed and flys for his marks.

Smith lacks any real elite athletcism. With his body type he would be looking at Butters, but I doubt he will be as lucky.

I would only compare Smillie and O'Sullivan to be on a comparable level to the Wardlaw, Callaghan, McKercher points of difference. Smith and Moraes are not on that level currently, in terms of game style or outstanding athletic traits.
Butters makes it work due to his elite acceleration and speed. He’d be off a HFF without it.

How is Smith’s kicking?

Not sure about Smillie to be honest. Looks slow and clunky, the opposite the way the game is going. Good luck to the kid, he's trained with us and the club would have a much better view of his abilities, but he's not doing it for me.

We need speed around the ball, it's never been more clear. Smith, O'Sullivan or Draper for mine.

Not sure about Smillie to be honest. Looks slow and clunky, the opposite the way the game is going. Good luck to the kid, he's trained with us and the club would have a much better view of his abilities, but he's not doing it for me.

We need speed around the ball, it's never been more clear. Smith, O'Sullivan or Draper for mine.
Delete if this goes against the posting rules of this thread, but I remember reading here that we almost went Phillipou in 2022 because Sam wanted a big bodied mid but opted against him due to Nash's emergence.

I could see us looking at Smillie as a long term Nash upgrade to take on the big bodied mids and doing the stoppage grunt work.

Delete if this goes against the posting rules of this thread, but I remember reading here that we almost went Phillipou in 2022 because Sam wanted a big bodied mid but opted against him due to Nash's emergence.

I could see us looking at Smillie as a long term Nash upgrade to take on the big bodied mids and doing the stoppage grunt work.
We opted out of selecting a big bodied mid in 190cm Phillipou and instead selected not so big bodied mid in 188cm Cam Mackenzie?

We opted out of selecting a big bodied mid in 190cm Phillipou and instead selected not so big bodied mid in 188cm Cam Mackenzie?
I know what you mean, that was what they were saying in the media which lead to our D+ rating.

I think big bodied in the sense of body mass where Phillipou would have about 8-10kg on Mackenzie. Pou and Smillie look built more like Hawkins/D. Fogarty in the sense that they're "solid" (i.e. brick shithouse) and are built for more of that grunt work whereas Mackenzie looks to be more that lean "athletic" explosive build.

Butters makes it work due to his elite acceleration and speed. He’d be off a HFF without it.

How is Smith’s kicking?
From the couple of games I've seen of him, he seems to be a good kick but not a great one. His kicking under pressure is where he can be a bit messy.

Smith is a gun but I'm having trouble putting him in the same tier as Smillie, draper and FOS. All 3 of them have points of difference whereas I don't see one for Smith. His best trait is his ability to find the ball, which is incredible, but once he has the ball he doesn't have enough tools to be as damaging as the other 3. His disposal is good but not good enough that it is tearing teams apart, he's got a quick first few steps but outside of that has no other athletic traits to allow him to break lines. I can see him being an elite accumulating midfielder if all goes right but can't see a way he ever becomes very damaging. Obviously still early days so who knows, he could go to another level at champs.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

From the couple of games I've seen of him, he seems to be a good kick but not a great one. His kicking under pressure is where he can be a bit messy.

Smith is a gun but I'm having trouble putting him in the same tier as Smillie, draper and FOS. All 3 of them have points of difference whereas I don't see one for Smith. His best trait is his ability to find the ball, which is incredible, but once he has the ball he doesn't have enough tools to be as damaging as the other 3. His disposal is good but not good enough that it is tearing teams apart, he's got a quick first few steps but outside of that has no other athletic traits to allow him to break lines. I can see him being an elite accumulating midfielder if all goes right but can't see a way he ever becomes very damaging. Obviously still early days so who knows, he could go to another level at champs.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cheers, I appreciate the insight

Smillie is an absolute monster in the contest, he's absolutely elite at getting the ball out of the coalface. He's a Greene/Cripps clone, who gets around the field a lot better with a better kick. Watch him in the under 18 championships last year. I'm not sure where you're getting slow from.

He would be an upgrade on Nash, if he's available you pick him. Baz will provide that speed around the ball if we get him.

I don't see Jagga dominating like Butters has, he has no outstanding athleticism.

Would happily give up our pick 3* in this draft for a quality player from another club 25 and under. Not that keen on the top 5 all being midfielders and no great point of difference to what we already have. Long season ahead and some stand out performances in the carnival might shake things up.

Smillie is an absolute monster in the contest, he's absolutely elite at getting the ball out of the coalface. He's a Greene/Cripps clone, who gets around the field a lot better with a better kick. Watch him in the under 18 championships last year. I'm not sure where you're getting slow from.

He would be an upgrade on Nash, if he's available you pick him. Baz will provide that speed around the ball if we get him.

I don't see Jagga dominating like Butters has, he has no outstanding athleticism.
You are right he’s not slow but I don’t see him with burst speed to break from the contest he’s excellent at getting it in tight dnd strong to be able to distribute but don’t we have enough of that? Spread and kicks reasonably well without it being great. Moraes is tearing it up so far if not Finn I would be happy with him especially if we split our pick and also pick up someone like Mraz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back