Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

An interesting watch. Trainor picks up a smaller forward, then largely ignores them in general play. He zones off to intercept and rebound. He pushes way up the field, almost playing as an extra midfielder at times, setting up as a defensive sweeper at stoppages on the wing.

Tracking a potential draft bolter from WA. Luke Urquhart is a 190cm mid/forward with an exciting skill set. Ability to find the footy inside and outside the contest, tough tackling and serious hurt factor with his possessions. A long penetrating kick from a lovely fluid action which allows him to set up teammates and hit the scoreboard.

Tracking a potential draft bolter from WA. Luke Urquhart is a 190cm mid/forward with an exciting skill set. Ability to find the footy inside and outside the contest, tough tackling and serious hurt factor with his possessions. A long penetrating kick from a lovely fluid action which allows him to set up teammates and hit the scoreboard.

Better than Pendlebury.

A Jekyll and Hyde performance from Smillie this week, one that epitomized his team's pattern of play. He and his Eastern teammates had nearly complete domination at stoppage, winning the football at will, but post stoppage they were unable to handle the Dragons pressure and consistently turned the footy over by foot and by hand.

Playing predominantly as a key defender with some stints in the ruck, Mraz had a solid game in round 2 of the talent league showcasing his exciting combination of size and athleticism.

Where is this kid ranked currently?

Where is this kid ranked currently?
Its very early, and it depends on what you value and how much demand there is for key position defenders. He's being considered as one of the two best key defender prospects in this draft alongside Luke Trainor (Matt Whitlock has started well also).

Trainor is more of an interceptor who zones off his man and reads the play. He's also a little undersized at 193cm tall.

Mraz is taller (198cm) and more athletic. Projects as more of a lock down type.

I would have them both slightly below Curtin and Connor O'Sullivan from last years crop, but well ahead of any others from last season like Will Dawson etc.

Its very early, and it depends on what you value and how much demand there is for key position defenders. He's being considered as one of the two best key defender prospects in this draft alongside Luke Trainor (Matt Whitlock has started well also).

Trainor is more of an interceptor who zones off his man and reads the play. He's also a little undersized at 193cm tall.

I would have them both slightly below Curtin and Connor O'Sullivan from last years crop, but well ahead of any others from last season like Will Dawson etc.
Thanks mate i will be interested in tracking them this season. So please keep the updates coming this season

Thanks mate obviously of interest to us. Where does ofarrell rank then I thought he was touted as top 10?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks mate obviously of interest to us. Where does ofarrell rank then I thought he was touted as top 10?
I didn't personally have him top 10 entering the season, and he's had a bit of a slow start for Calder. But we're really just getting started, he's got something like 20 weeks left to show his stuff.

Is there any one in the MSD that could be a handy pick up?
We have done well with Newc, Rama and Mass who was taken by the bombers.
We don't have a free spot. Ethan Phillips took the last one when Blanck was put on the LTI.

If someone like McCabe goes on the LTI then a spot opens up..

We don't have a free spot. Ethan Phillips took the last one when Blanck was put on the LTI.

If someone like McCabe goes on the LTI then a spot opens up..
If there is a player good enough we will create a free spot. Gunston to retire or come up with a fake injury.

We really need to fill these wing positions!! I'm sick of us filling it with Ward & Mackenzie!! We need the Caleb Windsor/Max Holmes types that are 6 footers with pace and endurance!!

After spending last season playing forward flank and wing for the Knights, this year Zak Johnson is Northern's prime mover in the midfield. A silky smooth operator with plenty of class with ball in hand, it wouldnt be surprising to see Johnson pushing into top 10 calculations as the season progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back