Preview Changes/Preview - Round 6 ANZAC Day Eve v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we should have lost that by a lot more. Against a quality opposition I reckon thats a 10 goal + flogging.
Guess it kinda was until they took the foot off the pedal late. Still had 30 odd shots at goal at ¾ time. I'd say lucky really we didn't get flogged.

Grundy copped it for every goal the rucks scored when it wasn't always his fault. At one point JVR had Draper, tried to spoil a pack, didn't even make contact with the ball and then draper snapped an easy goal. Not roasting the kid for it but then the media blamed Grundy for it who was clearly not at fault. Essendon worked over Grundy and none of our key defenders could help him, none of it would have looked bad if May wasn't being dragged up the ground or Tomo or Petty won a single contest in the first half
And in typical fashion, all the footballing ‘experts’ took him to task on this.

Kane ‘I don’t hold a hose’ Cornes

I thought we should have lost that by a lot more. Against a quality opposition I reckon thats a 10 goal + flogging.
I said to my mate at 3 quarter time. I reckon we'll end up kicking a few goals and end up losing by about 20 points. Sure enough I was right (except one goal was disallowed because of review) nevertheless essendon had clearly shut up shop once the game was done. Melbourne did that a bit in 2021, knew the game was over and just cruised through the last to avoid injuries.

In - Lever, Schache (If Gawn out), Brown, Harmes
Out - Spargo, T McDonald, Tomlinson, Jordon

B - Petty, May, McVee
HB - Rivers, Lever, Brayshaw
C - Langdon, Oliver, Hunter
HF - ANB, Schache, Petracca
F - Pickett, Brown, Fritsch
Ruck - Grundy, Viney, Harmes
Int - Sparrow, LVR, Bowey, Chandler
23rd - Melksham

Does Schache come in? Good form and would question why you got him if he isnt right in the mix.
He was always a depth recruit. Would prefer him over Brown if Gawn doesn't get up.

He was always a depth recruit. Would prefer him over Brown if Gawn doesn't get up.
Yeah. I think if he gets regular games we’re probably going shithouse but I’d rather he comes in to get injured/slaughtered in the ruck than JVR doing it.

I hope we give Gawn one more week off after how he looked coming back from a similar injury last year

Definitely don't want to rush him back, but just don't know enough about the injury to know if this week would be early or not.

Out with Tomo, TMac, Bowey, Melk and Sparrow.

Gawn, Lever, Hibberd, Jordon, Laurie in if Gawn is good.

Otherwise maybe consider Schache or Brown, though neither is a convincing choice.

Wouldn't be against Sparrow as a sub. Has the explosiveness to maybe impact in a short burst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please let it be:

Laurie for Spargo
Jordon for Melk
Lever for Tomlinson
Hibberd for McDonald

Send Petty forward again, not really needed down back against the Tigers.

Don't mind if we bring Harmes in as sub.

Turner in maybe just in case Lever doesn't come up perhaps?
I also find it funny James Harmes is used in advertising for the Anzac Eve game and he won't even be playing, another home run for the media dept.

Brown hate is a bit odd. 9.1 from two and a half games is a solid return.

One hundred percent this.

As he has very little pace when he gets injured or is carrying a substantial injury he really is VFL level. And I think people pick up on this as all he can offer. If you can get him the ball within range of the goals he is a killer kick as he has proven that is what he brings. I firmly believe if Melbourne are to win the GF this year he will be an important part of that.

Also, totally commands the number one defender which means others JVR/McDonald/Petty can run around like headless chooks and can cause problems for the opposition. While a Grundy/Gawn can just slip in.

Besides all the doom and gloom, Melbourne are one game behind the top spot and I really hope they continue with Laurie to find out if he can make AFL level or not. Oddly enough this year I am more focused on the Defence and what the best six will eventually be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back