Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing to lose Buss if true but I also don’t necessarily blame him if he goes back home. If I moved interstate for work and was then offered a pay raise to return home, I’d 100% take it when I was 20.

Annoying for us but if we can get a second round pick back, I’d take it. Move on and get someone in that wants to be here. Admittedly I haven’t been overly impressed by Buss yet but how he will develop is still an unknown. I don’t think he’s someone we should be desperate to hold on to
If the season isn’t panning out the temptation would be there to throw him in and play him loose in defence to get some cheap intercept marks.

“Hey guys look, it’s the new McGovern!”

Always love a jump at shadows from a post in here. Smiley Boy does have good info but it is not always 100% accurate. That is not a criticism as it may be accurate at the time but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge.

Given Buss missed the entire pre season last year at took some time to get into games, and we are not even 1/3 of the games through this season and to this stage only in the last 2 weeks has he shown anything that may translate to stepping up to the AFL there can only be 2 reasons he would want to leave.

The first is he is homesick. Would be disappointed if this is the case as I am sure he would have been screened. We, even as a small club have lost very few to homesickness over the AFL journey.

The second is money. Can't do much about that one as he has no runs on the board to justify a substantial sum, in fact not sure he makes it yet.

Until I hear something directly from him JHF style I would assume his focus should and is on building his game after some solid weeks and pushing for senior selection as soon as there is a drop in form or injury to JOD, Buku or Jones.

The fact of where Jones is in his career and Buss's improvement has been in the role where Jones now plays I cannot see professionally why he would want to move now, before he has established himself nor why the Eagles would give him a godfather offer with what he has done to date.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barrass is cooked. Won't last longer than another year or two with his back and then it'll be a contract you want off the books

Not that good of a bloke according to the AFL tribunal as well

Always love a jump at shadows from a post in here. Smiley Boy does have good info but it is not always 100% accurate. That is not a criticism as it may be accurate at the time but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge.

Given Buss missed the entire pre season last year at took some time to get into games, and we are not even 1/3 of the games through this season and to this stage only in the last 2 weeks has he shown anything that may translate to stepping up to the AFL there can only be 2 reasons he would want to leave.

The first is he is homesick. Would be disappointed if this is the case as I am sure he would have been screened. We, even as a small club have lost very few to homesickness over the AFL journey.

The second is money. Can't do much about that one as he has no runs on the board to justify a substantial sum, in fact not sure he makes it yet.
Only two?

Until I hear something directly from him JHF style I would assume his focus should and is on building his game after some solid weeks and pushing for senior selection as soon as there is a drop in form or injury to JOD, Buku or Jones.

The fact of where Jones is in his career and Buss's improvement has been in the role where Jones now plays I cannot see professionally why he would want to move now, before he has established himself nor why the Eagles would give him a godfather offer with what he has done to date.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It makes perfect sense for WCE to overpay contact wise to get him for cheap in terms of a trade. If they entice him to request a trade with a 3-year deal for an extra $200K per year (front loaded) compared to what we would offer that’s smart business from them. That’s hard for Buss to say no to.

A team down the bottom of the ladder with (presumably) a ****load of salary cap would gladly trade a 2nd rounder + $600K for a young KPD pick #13 with 2-years of development.

It makes perfect sense for WCE to overpay contact wise to get him for cheap in terms of a trade. If they entice him to request a trade with a 3-year deal for an extra $200K per year (front loaded) compared to what we would offer that’s smart business from them. That’s hard for Buss to say no to.

A team down the bottom of the ladder with (presumably) a ****load of salary cap would gladly trade a 2nd rounder + $600K for a young KPD pick #13 with 2-years of development.
He trained with them in his draft year so if they are offering a contract they are pretty confident he is going to make the grade.
So less than ideal for us too lose a KPD first round pick for a 2nd but would absolutely smart move by the Eagles to pick up a 10+ year Defender. Always going to get some that want to go home.
Just sucks that this one in particular will mess with the list build

What a total waste of a pick, if he goes.

I don’t think I was alone in thinking Weddle was a better pick than Busslinger prior to the draft. I thought at the time Busslinger was being overrated off the back of limited output and getting the ‘best tall defender in the draft’ bump (e.g. Grainger-Barrass), and not enough focus on his athletic limitations.

We also had a gaping hole in our list for an athletic medium defender like Weddle. Which we’ve since tried to fill unsuccessfully with Coffield and we’re back to relying on Duryea, who is playing well but is 33 years old.

What a total waste of a pick, if he goes.

I don’t think I was alone in thinking Weddle was a better pick than Busslinger prior to the draft. I thought at the time Busslinger was being overrated off the back of limited output and getting the ‘best tall defender in the draft’ bump (e.g. Grainger-Barrass), and not enough focus on his athletic limitations.

We also had a gaping hole in our list for an athletic medium defender like Weddle. Which we’ve since tried to fill unsuccessfully with Coffield and we’re back to relying on Duryea, who is playing well but is 33 years old.
Yes, it could have been a reach but at this stage it looks like it was a shallow draft. Weddle or Darcy Jones would have been great but every club can shed tears in the "if only we'd drafted [such-and-such]" game. And it’s still early days to say Buss won’t become a good footballer. Tall defenders take time. Especially if they start their first season recovering from shoulder surgery.

We've had quite a few years where our draft was hollowed out for FS/NGA bid matching & picking up trades in exchange for a 2nd/3rd rounder. Some good trades, some not so good. So to have picks 13, 24 and 39 in 2022 looked juicy at the time. However none of them played in 2023 - partly due to injuries - and so far only Gallagher has debuted in 2023. Clarke might get there but he's not coming along as fast as I'd have hoped for a pick 24.

What has made that off-season more palatable was picking up Liam Jones and then JOD early into the 2023 season. Both of them free hits.

Charlie's VFL form has been awesome recently tbf
I wouldn't say awesome, otherwise they'd have him in the seniors by now but I agree he is starting to show some promise. I like the pressure and attitude he brings.

I'd say there's a good chance he'll end up playing 50 games or more (hell, if VDM can play 50 with a lesser skill set, why not Charlie?) My point was really that smaller players tend to make their mark a bit earlier. So I'm more patient with the likes of Buss than with someone like Charlie. Nonetheless I'm happy to see what he can show us with a bit more development time, because his first year was affected by injuries and coming in underdone.

Losing Busslinger will suck and highly doubt we will get much for

Yes, it could have been a reach but at this stage it looks like it was a shallow draft. Weddle or Darcy Jones would have been great but every club can shed tears in the "if only we'd drafted [such-and-such]" game. And it’s still early days to say Buss won’t become a good footballer. Tall defenders take time. Especially if they start their first season recovering from shoulder surgery.

We've had quite a few years where our draft was hollowed out for FS/NGA bid matching & picking up trades in exchange for a 2nd/3rd rounder. Some good trades, some not so good. So to have picks 13, 24 and 39 in 2022 looked juicy at the time. However none of them played in 2023 - partly due to injuries - and so far only Gallagher has debuted in 2023. Clarke might get there but he's not coming along as fast as I'd have hoped for a pick 24.

What has made that off-season more palatable was picking up Liam Jones and then JOD early into the 2023 season. Both of them free hits.
You seem to just make presumptions that all drafted players just get a free run at it and have no hurdles to overcome. Our 3 players drafted last year all had issues. Buss and Clarke missed a lot of pre season. Gags and several set backs with injuries and illness.
All have had their first pre season. Gags had one good vfl game last year but a great pre season has seen him debut and hit the ground running. Mindful he is a year older than the other two.
Buss had illness round one started shaky round two in first half but since then been very good.
Clarke playing the hardest position on the ground has been exceptional these first 4 games hitting the scoreboard, goal assist and applying great pressure. Not sure if you seen his first goal last week. Went to intercept a switch kick and put his body on the line winning a free kick. We are screaming out for that type of player in our senior team. He keeps up this trajectory he will debut very soon and be a quality small fwd for yrs to come.
Keep in mind small fwds are not hitting their straps to be seniors players till 23/24. Exceptions kozzi and Cyril. A lot are not even drafted until early 20’s.
We all need a little patience with the young players. Not all develop at same rate. It’s why we see many players now drafted well into their 20’s

Think we need to add an AFL ready defensive mid to our game. Brisbane look out of sorts this season, there’ll definitely be a few disgruntled players. Anyone like the look of that Josh Dunkley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buss has been very poor at VFL level, losing almost every 1 on 1 to smaller players. Croft has been promising. It’s simple really

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Mate get your hand off it. Buss literally just had his best game at VFL level (coaches words) and Croft has done practically nothing at VFL level, off the back of 5 touches.

Croft is a work in progress but you don't have to be disingenuous and make things up.

Buss has been very poor at VFL level, losing almost every 1 on 1 to smaller players. Croft has been promising. It’s simple really

Not in the last 2 games, which has been noted by those attending or watching and by the coaches report.

Croft will not play senior football this season, started too far back, unless there is a significant injury run

I wouldn't say awesome, otherwise they'd have him in the seniors by now but I agree he is starting to show some promise. I like the pressure and attitude he brings.

I'd say there's a good chance he'll end up playing 50 games or more (hell, if VDM can play 50 with a lesser skill set, why not Charlie?) My point was really that smaller players tend to make their mark a bit earlier. So I'm more patient with the likes of Buss than with someone like Charlie. Nonetheless I'm happy to see what he can show us with a bit more development time, because his first year was affected by injuries and coming in underdone.
Please name me small forwards that make their mark early other than Cyril and kozzie. Small to medium mid fielders or defenders yes but not fwds.
Look at guys like stephen Milne Eddie betts recently Tyson Stengle. It takes time. It’s the toughest position on the ground without question

That’s so not true. Other than first half against Casey. Since then been very reliable and strong in the contest

You seem to just make presumptions that all drafted players just get a free run at it and have no hurdles to overcome. Our 3 players drafted last year all had issues. Buss and Clarke missed a lot of pre season. Gags and several set backs with injuries and illness.
Go back and read my posts. I acknowledged that all three of them had injuries. 1 or 2 of them came in underdone.

Okay I’ll admit I am scarred from that first half against Casey, and he has improved a little since then. I just can’t see him debuting until Jones retires, and by then Croft would have gone past him because Croft has elite speed.

I’ll be very happy to be proven wrong if we hang on to Buss, however I don’t think losing him is the end of the world like some people here think.

Okay I’ll admit I am scarred from that first half against Casey, and he has improved a little since then. I just can’t see him debuting until Jones retires, and by then Croft would have gone past him because Croft has elite speed.

I’ll be very happy to be proven wrong if we hang on to Buss, however I don’t think losing him is the end of the world like some people here think.
Croft has been playing forward the last few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back