Preview Rd: 6 - Dogs @ Saints, Marvel Stadium, 7:30pm Thursday 18 April

Remove this Banner Ad

If Bevo is fair dinkum about senior players needing to earn spots blah blah and let’s not play Dale or Daniel, then English is dropped against Saints. Worst game I have seen him play since his year 2.

Out from 22,
English, Libba (looked like he had a head knock), then looks like Sanders and Gallagher need a rest

In Lobb (try something different in ruck), Garcia, Harmes, Dale.

Maybe Sanders or Gallagher as sub

Maybe some merit in going a little smaller, this week we put in ODonnell and dropped Dale from 22 and looked slow. We are playing one too many talls. Don’t know who, maybe Buku but he has been going well. Then bring back Daniel ?

Should be fun.

Out: English, Dale, Gallagher
In: Lobb on one legg, Garcia, Harmes
Agree Gallagher needs a spell but there are many who should simply be dropped, English, Dale, Baker, Williams. Buku and JOD could also be replaced.

JJ, Bramble and Durea had good stats but not sure about their games.

There were many who put their hand up in the VFL which should provide some earned opportunities

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

West is really playing a great role up forward now, would have him in the rotation but not the main rotation

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree he's come on good in the small forward role over the past little while. I still think he is a midfielder though. He's the only one apart from Bont and Bailey Smith (2021 version) who can break a tackle.

Out:

Gallagher - looks cooked for the moment and a couple of lacklustre efforts

Libba - gotta be more to that stumble

Duryea - love the bloke and he reads the play better than any, but there are a lot of "old man-falls" happening out there. If we are serious about being amongst it this year he shouldn't be in our best 22 come September.

In:

Garcia - reward the form

Daniel - lets see how he bounces back

Freijah - if ever we needed someone new to get around, this is the week

On notice: English (I'd dump him for Smith if he wasn't injured), Weightman (needs a rocket and to be told not to fly against 6ft8 team mates)

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out:

Duryea - love the bloke and he reads the play better than any, but there are a lot of "old man-falls" happening out there. If we are serious about being amongst it this year he shouldn't be in our best 22 come September.

In:

Garcia - reward the form

On notice: English (I'd dump him for Smith if he wasn't injured), Weightman (needs a rocket and to be told not to fly against 6ft8 team mates)

“Come September” lol.

Greater chance of the Queen being resurrected then us making finals.

Out: Dale, Duryea, English, Libba (not quite right)
In: Freijah, Garcia, Dunkley (ruck), Harmes, more midfield rotations

Bramble Jones Khamis
Richards JOD Freijah
Baker Garcia Gallagher
Sanders Naughton West
Weightman JUH VDM

Darcy Bont Treloar
Macrae Dunkley (ruck) JJ Harmes Williams (sub)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out : Cody Weightman the downhill skier and to be replaced by the more consistent Cody Weightman

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can’t drop Timmy as no one to ruck as both Lobb and Lachie Smith are now injured.

I think Baker has been good since he come back in, but was pretty horrible last night and probably makes way for a more polished senior player e.g. Daniel/Harmes

Rather than throwing the toys out the cot and playing the youth, I would do the opposite. Play all our senior, experienced well paid players - give them 3-5 weeks, with a sprinkling of elite young talent (Sanders, Darcy etc.). If we still look lost, then play the kids and the season is a write off anyway.

A few role players would be a bit unlucky, as they have been good at times, but I think it should be the Bramble, Baker, Gallagher, Khamis/O’Donnell types who make way for Keath, Daniel, Harmes etc.

Don’t get me wrong - Khamis, Bramble and Gallagher in particular have impressed me this season, and are quickly becoming a couple of my favourites. But let’s load up for a dip in the next couple of weeks and see if we can officially draw a line through half of these experienced seasoned players.

Out: Gallagher (just doesn't know where to position himself), Baker (VFL traits becoming obvious), O'Donnell (clearly underdone, was blowing hard by half time). Several others: Williams, Weightman, Dale, Vandermeer all lucky we have little quality depth.
In: Garcia (at the very least, he's a goer and will add some spark to the midfield, must play), Harmes (not a huge fan but his good VFL form should be rewarded), Daniel (now seems on the outer but still a useful contributor if played in the right position).
PS English played the worst game from a Bulldog No 1 ruck I've seen in decades last night but we have no option than to keep him in the side and hope for something better.

Out:
Bramble (the mix isn't right, we're 1 defender too many)
Libba (do not risk him)
English (if you don't compete in the air as a ruck, you've broken a non-negotiable)

In:
Garcia (selection integrity)
Lobb (50/50 ruck/forward with Darcy)
Harmes (integrity and he tackles)

I'm not sure Daniel was good enough in the VFL to earn a recall.

Not sure what to do with Gags & Sanders - do we give them a run in the VFL? Clarke debut may be on the cards and West plays further up the ground because we really need a 'spark' and Clarke seems like the type of annoying bastard to give us one.
I'd be tempted to give one of them a week off - perhaps get Sanders to rack it up at VFL level for 1 week - just because Clarke might get rid of the team lethargy in the way Arty's energy rubbed off on teammates last year.

West to have more time in the middle and bring in Clarke. Please.

Would also love to see Freijah get a run.
I really like Freijah but I don't think he's ready yet.

I assume all the folks calling for Tim to be dropped don’t realise Lobb was in ice last night? Deserves to be dropped but not sure who rucks in his place.
He ran on the ankle for a little bit before he was taken off late. I suspect he'll be fine for next week, looks like a classic rolled ankle.

Our midfield looks shot. West is overdue for a run in there.
If Garcia doesn't get a run next week we're done for the year. 3 weeks of good form simply has to be rewarded.

Out:

In:

Garcia - reward the form

I have it on good authority Libba was suffering from leather poisoning from the cats game that caused him to fall over at the end of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back