Opinion Do you have faith in our list?

Do you have faith in our current list regardless of who coaches them?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have faith in our mid to late 20 year olds being our best players week in and week out, which they should be in my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like we had this problem last time we were a decent side and then began to fall away a bit? There was a gap between the veterans and young guns in terms of quality? Having said that, I would like to see what a different coach could do. Most of the pieces are there, even though there is quite a gap in age between our gun mids and young talls for example. Plus, I saw a bit of the VFL on Friday and some recent draftees looked great at first sight. I liked the look of Freijah, Croft, Buss, and Chook. If those, JOD, Sanders come on and Baz stays.... we will be laughing with the right coach.

I rate our list, but it is being badly managed.

We should keep English as a KPF. Naughton should go back as a KPD. Our spine then looks like this:

Jones (Croft next in line - not convinced with Bus)
Naughton
Darcy
JUH
English

That's a bloody elite-looking spine over the next 5 to 8 years.

Midfield: The Bont will still be a star in 5 years. Sanders will still be a star. We should get a decent pick for Baz. Libba and Treloar still have a lot to give. Jack is being wasted. We should be able to develop the likes of Gags, Garcia, etc. We should be able to recruit decent midfield talent (it's a lot harder / slower to bring in KP talent).

Non-KP Attack: West and Cody are guns. CD should be given a go as an HHF. Clarke, VDM, Jones, etc can be developed much more (and bring Spicer onto the list).

Non-KP Defense: I rate Ed. One or Both of Buku or JOD will make it. We need understudies for JJ and Doc. Williams is serviceable. Why isn't Cleary get a go?

Wings: Dale should be trialed on the wing (you don't get AA for being a spud).

Role players/depth: OB, Bramble, Harmes, etc: keep rolling the dice. You win some you lose some.

We need to realize that every team has its list issues (look at the Pies a few years ago having to dump decent quality due to a salary cap squeeze, then go on to win a flag).

It's not an either/or. We can have challenges with our list composition whilst acknowledging the revitalisation a new coach would bring.

The mistake is to focus on one wholly and not recognise the other.

Any discussion of our current plight, in my opinion, has to incorporate this:

We have lost Lipinski and Dunkley in two years. We are about to lose (or see a significantly reduced output from) Smith, Macrae, Treloar and Liberatore.

We have to get back into the first round of the draft this year. More than one pick. To be spent on quality midfielders. Otherwise by 2026 it will be Sanders and place-holders, just as our talls are peaking.

Also remember we have Quality Fathersons coming thru in the next couple of years midfielders too

Our list is sexy as... management just like having our lane wide open so every team can just run down and slam dunk non stop for some strange reason. Hard to win when theres a sign pitched saying "free goals" which bottom teams salivate at!

It's not an either/or. We can have challenges with our list composition whilst acknowledging the revitalisation a new coach would bring.

The mistake is to focus on one wholly and not recognise the other.

Any discussion of our current plight, in my opinion, has to incorporate this:

We have lost Lipinski and Dunkley in two years. We are about to lose (or see a significantly reduced output from) Smith, Macrae, Treloar and Liberatore.

We have to get back into the first round of the draft this year. More than one pick. To be spent on quality midfielders. Otherwise by 2026 it will be Sanders and place-holders, just as our talls are peaking.
And no guarantee we'll keep Sanders either - when he's just approaching his best years there will be the call of the Devils.

I believe if Adam Kingsley were our coach we’d be a top 4 team

Hawks wanted it more. Whoda thunk they'd fight back after we scored twice in the first minute.

It's not supposed to be hard. Why won't these teams let us win. We're special. Mummy, you said we were special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to rebuild, too many experienced players panic under any pressure (Dale, Williams, JJ, English the list goes on) and too many not up to it. We need a big list turnover and hit the draft hard.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most saying it's the list are also the one's that think Bevo's the greatest coach to walk the earth.

Are we saying that our list is worse than WC, Essendon, Saints and Hawks ? Teams we've lost to in the last couple of years.

No team has a perfect list. But surely ours is better than some of the sh*t teams we've been losing to over the years.

Do we have a list that can compete for a flag? No

Do we have a better list than what is being shown atm? Yes

Is our list unbalanced? Yes

Is there a strong core to build around? Yes

I think we have a great base and we have some of the hardest positions to nail already on our list but we have some gaps and we have some players out of position and we have structures and game plans that don’t suit or challenge the players enough.

JUH, Darcy, Naughton and Weightman is a very strong and talented forward group to build around.

Bont, treloar, Macrae, libba, harmes, sanders, smith is a strong mid group but obviously need some more youth coming through there and we need to rotate that group more than running with 3 of them 90% of the time.

I have concerns with our backline we have an issue with second and third talls and an ageing jones. We then have good attacking backs but they aren’t made to or capable of defending.

Wings are an issue.

But we’ve had these issues for a while and haven’t addressed them.

I think we have a great base and we have some of the hardest positions to nail already on our list but we have some gaps and we have some players out of position and we have structures and game plans that don’t suit or challenge the players enough.

JUH, Darcy, Naughton and Weightman is a very strong and talented forward group to build around.

Bont, treloar, Macrae, libba, harmes, sanders, smith is a strong mid group but obviously need some more youth coming through there and we need to rotate that group more than running with 3 of them 90% of the time.

I have concerns with our backline we have an issue with second and third talls and an ageing jones. We then have good attacking backs but they aren’t made to or capable of defending.

Wings are an issue.

We’ve been absolutely obsessed with recruiting talls for a long time.

Boyd, Cloke, Trengove, O’Brien, Martin, Lobb, Jones, Schache etc.

Only a few have worked out. Our midfield stocks unfortunately are drying up fast and there is very little coming through.

The following are players I think have a fair bit of potential who could be with us in five years: Naughton, JUH, Smith, Richards, Weightman, Darcy, JOD, Busslinger, English, West, Garcia, Gallagher, Sanders, Buku

Obviously one or two will not be with us. If we’re lucky a few older players might still be around (Bont at 33 etc).

It’s a fair bit to start with but there’s a lot of work to be done.

Wings are an issue.

Exactly my thoughts.

My wish list would be
1. Two small forwards with crumbing as their first instinct and tackling as their second.
2. One (or 2 if Smith leaves) speedy mids that can rotate inside and out.
3. Lockdown small defender.

Exactly my thoughts.

My wish list would be
1. Two small forwards with crumbing as their first instinct and tackling as their second.
2. One (or 2 if Smith leaves) speedy mids that can rotate inside and out.
3. Lockdown small defender.

When you look at recruitment across the league the only hard position to fill is the KPD or two we need.

Mids, wings and small forwards who pressure and small to mid defenders are the easiest thing to recruit.

Obviously this off season will be difficult with our current draft assets but we have most of the hardest to fill positions and that’s our spine with a lot of years left

Hows young Crofty looking? The overall health of the list depends a lot on how long him and Sanders will take.
Croft has good speed and balance for his height. Just needs some time for his body to develop. Not sure he has the upside of Darcy, but he certainly has the potential to develop into a very good KPP.

I know it is cliche but our list is not great for today but if we can develop the younger players with talent and not lose any we are only one or 2 years away from having a very good list.

It is the retention and development we need to focus on whilst the transition is taking place

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back