Daniel Pratt. Our mastermind.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll save you all the pain but First Crack did a nice little segment on just how well our defense is working at the moment, and I will say, the change over the last two weeks (round 1 never happened) has been noticeable.

Yesterday I felt almost confident seeing the ball go back into the backline that it would be taken care of, with Jones being the anchor, the emergence of Buku, hell even Duryea running at 100% disposal efficiency I was really surprised at just how well this defensive unit is starting to come together.

Also to note is that Croft looked excellent playing down back in the VFL, JOD is not far off making the seniors again, and we have Ed, Coffield (when not injured) and to a lesser extent Cleary all breathing down the neck trying to get into the side, it's almost like we might have the workings of a solid defense in the making.

So, big props to Chris Grant for making the really hard call in moving on Bubba and bringing in Daniel Pratt, I know two games is a small sample size but if this is what the future holds for our defense (something that has suckkkked since 2022) the future looks good for us.

Keen to see how the Defence goes v Geelong & once we get JOD back in & settled. Round 1 aside, have liked the last 2 rounds.

Sign Language GIF by ISL Connect
What dirty innuendo is she signing?

I'll save you all the pain but First Crack did a nice little segment on just how well our defense is working at the moment, and I will say, the change over the last two weeks (round 1 never happened) has been noticeable.

Yesterday I felt almost confident seeing the ball go back into the backline that it would be taken care of, with Jones being the anchor, the emergence of Buku, hell even Duryea running at 100% disposal efficiency I was really surprised at just how well this defensive unit is starting to come together.

Also to note is that Croft looked excellent playing down back in the VFL, JOD is not far off making the seniors again, and we have Ed, Coffield (when not injured) and to a lesser extent Cleary all breathing down the neck trying to get into the side, it's almost like we might have the workings of a solid defense in the making.

So, big props to Chris Grant for making the really hard call in moving on Bubba and bringing in Daniel Pratt, I know two games is a small sample size but if this is what the future holds for our defense (something that has suckkkked since 2022) the future looks good for us.

Hope you are right because Bevo has got no idea coaching against Scott and he needs all the help he can get.

Scrag is right in pumping the brakes...

But I do just wonder if the switch to Buku as a first choice 2nd tall was Pratt driven? Basically being chosen over JoD to date. Pretty big change for Buku who Bevo was never that fond of.

Has worked well so far and Bevo was quite high on Buku in yesterday's presser. Undersized but with good leap and reach. Hasn't been intercepting everything but has been spoiling well.

Interesting to see what we do against Geelong on that front. You would kind of assume Buku as a backline player would be a third tall with more license to fly and intercept but he's holding down that more negating 2nd tall role. Granted not against strong opposition so far.

Scrag is right in pumping the brakes...

But I do just wonder if the switch to Buku as a first choice 2nd tall was Pratt driven? Basically being chosen over JoD to date. Pretty big change for Buku who Bevo was never that fond of.

Has worked well so far and Bevo was quite high on Buku in yesterday's presser. Undersized but with good leap and reach. Hasn't been intercepting everything but has been spoiling well.

Interesting to see what we do against Geelong on that front. You would kind of assume Buku as a backline player would be a third tall with more license to fly and intercept but he's holding down that more negating 2nd tall role. Granted not against strong opposition so far.
JOD untimely concussion was the reason Buku has his place now.
And his good form has kept him there .

This kid has been developing well the last couple of seasons, not surprised where he is at now.

Remember having a very “robust discussion “with our old mate MD about why he was still on our list a couple of years ago .

Brave to bust this thread out the week prior to a Cats game. The one fixture every year where we inevitably find a way to s**t the bed.
I’ve made the mistake of going to [current sponsor] stadium in Geelong a number of times in recent years and it’s always a car crash, so if there was one club we were going to drag back on to neutral turf for gather round…

Dunno. As the second KPD Khamis still looks shaky as an earthquake to me.

Anyways...Its nemesis round.

We'll have a better idea when that contrived bullshit is behind us.

I’ve made the mistake of going to [current sponsor] stadium in Geelong a number of times in recent years and it’s always a car crash, so if there was one club we were going to drag back on to neutral turf for gather round…

I suspect the Cats will feel right at home in front of an Adelaide crowd. Hope you’re not punishing yourself with a trip over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few things I’ve noticed the last two weeks…

Defenders are far more aggressive in, and getting to aerial contests. We seem to work harder getting to the position of advantage as well. Also appear to be more focused on the flight of the ball rather than direct opponent which was a bugbear of mine with Gardniner and co last few years. They’d constantly lose track of the ball flight trying to physically engage with their opponents.

Another thing that’s stood out is our midfielders being present inside def 50 not long after the ball arrives. That defensive work rate would contribute greatly in our defensive record as a whole over the last fortnight.

It’s only been two weeks, but we also don’t seem to be playing as high up as we have previously. Not often getting caught outnumbered against WC and GC.

Whatever changes have been made, we’re a much more confident def unit than we have been which is a good sign. Big test this week though. If we can go 3 big defensive weeks in a row, boost the egos again, it’ll be huge.

It's the big games like this one coming up we will see if players like Buku, VDM etc. Will make it.

Ideally we would see Buku next to two solid KPDs where he can be the 3rd tall interceptor.

It's the big games like this one coming up we will see if players like Buku, VDM etc. Will make it.

Ideally we would see Buku next to two solid KPDs where he can be the 3rd tall interceptor.
I'm not so sure about this. Buku has been good but he doesn't appear to have the wheels or kicking to be a 3rd tall. His style is a 2nd tall but he is undersized. Ideally, we want a 3rd tall to be versatile, quick and/or attacking on top of intercept marking. Buku has the intercept marking but his kicking is no better than average, unproven/unknown in manning smalls and most concerning in my mind is that I haven't seen much run or score launches. I am hoping that he is playing within himself as a 2nd tall and will find some speed and attacking instincts when JOD comes back. Otherwise, he is just pinch-hitting (and doing a good job of it) as a 2nd tall until better options such as JOD, Croft and perhaps Naughton are ready.

Yep - he's playing the best footy of his life though and you can see his positioning this year has been coached into him (especially that 'front position' intercept mark against Cameron).

Essendon are without Wright so there's every chance we go in with just Jones & Buks again as taller defenders this week

Yep - he's playing the best footy of his life though and you can see his positioning this year has been coached into him (especially that 'front position' intercept mark against Cameron).

Essendon are without Wright so there's every chance we go in with just Jones & Buks again as taller defenders this week
Yeah I think so too.

No VFL would have JOD only playing one game in a few months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back