Autopsy The not even The Bont, Libbas and Jones' heroics can drag us over the line against the cats thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The way people on here complain about English

His ineffectiveness at stoppages around the ground is what's letting the structure down. Gets easily worked out of the contest due to his frame. More suited to a KPP/resting ruck role instead of 1st ruck

yeah, but chicken and egg. How much is best kick inside 50 as opposed to moving the ball quickly from defence and having forwards in space ahead of him to kick to?
I was more thinking of our stoppage and centre clearance set up and personnel rather than transition from defense, which of course is an issue and and we do have stoppages in our defensive end.

Miers game simply got me thinking about our ball use going I50 and the roles people play and whether we could get close to replicating Miers role and who would it be.

Miers said in his post game that his role is to get up the ground (half fwd to centrefieldish) and to deliver quality I50 to his fwd cohorts and they're all on board with it. Essentially he's a designated hitter going I50. Such a role offers a degree of certainty and predictability to the other 5 forwards. And he's farging good at it. Could we replicate the role and the quality? Libba's my nomination.

I was more thinking of our stoppage and centre clearance set up and personnel rather than transition from defense, which of course is an issue and and we do have stoppages in our defensive end.

Miers game simply got me thinking about our ball use going I50 and the roles people play and whether we could get close to replicating Miers role and who would it be.

Miers said in his post game that his role is to get up the ground (half fwd to centrefieldish) and to deliver quality I50 to his fwd cohorts and they're all on board with it. Essentially he's a designated hitter going I50. Such a role offers a degree of certainty and predictability to the other 5 forwards. And he's farging good at it. Could we replicate the role and the quality? Libba's my nomination.
I don't know whether he could do it (because I haven't watched enough of Miers), but I feel like this is literally the only role that Caleb Daniel could fill in our team.

Since being exposed in the back line his impact has been mediocre as a forward or mid.

This specific role could suit his skills, but I doubt Bevo will copy another coach.

I don't know whether he could do it (because I haven't watched enough of Miers), but I feel like this is literally the only role that Caleb Daniel could fill in our team.

Since being exposed in the back line his impact has been mediocre as a forward or mid.

This specific role could suit his skills, but I doubt Bevo will copy another coach.
I guess Daniel is a candidate but I don't think he'd be as good in the role as Libba who has many strings to his bow, could take on another role if required and is far more intimidating.

Additionally, it would be less likely we could find a role for Macrae if Daniel plays that role. I tend to think that if it's a choice between the 2, we should be finding a role for Macrae ahead of Daniel.

I guess Daniel is a candidate but I don't think he'd be as good in the role as Libba who has many strings to his bow, could take on another role if required and is far more intimidating.

Additionally, it would be less likely we could find a role for Macrae if Daniel plays that role. I tend to think that if it's a choice between the 2, we should be finding a role for Macrae ahead of Daniel.
Macrae is also a very creative kick inside 50. Last year or the year before i think he was one of the best players in the comp for having kicks into 50 retained

Last edited:
His ineffectiveness at stoppages around the ground is what's letting the structure down. Gets easily worked out of the contest due to his frame. More suited to a KPP/resting ruck role instead of 1st ruck
There are multiple players at stoppages.
The ruck is just one part of a team, and we shouldn't be too reliant on any one player\component.

Furthermore, stoppages are just one aspect of the game that ruckman are involved with.

Tim's ability in other aspects of the game more than compensate for any potential relative weaknesses at stoppages.

He is the reigning All Australian ruck, and we have a plenty of higher priority issues to address before I think we need to focus too heavily on his game.

I agree he is a pretty effective forward, and it would be nice for him to send some more time near goals but it's not as if we have a shortage of tall forwards at the moment.

Last edited:

Daniel can't play that role because he can't defend. Teams rely on generating scores from half-back, and so half-forwards who are as slow as Treacle and can be easily moved off the ball are a liability. Teams will direct the defensive outlet play through Daniel - we've seen that happen time and again.

I don't see Caleb as best 23 for us anymore. The game and its tactics have evolved and he doesn't have the attributes to be competitive now.

Daniel can't play that role because he can't defend. Teams rely on generating scores from half-back, and so half-forwards who are as slow as Treacle and can be easily moved off the ball are a liability. Teams will direct the defensive outlet play through Daniel - we've seen that happen time and again.

I don't see Caleb as best 23 for us anymore. The game and its tactics have evolved and he doesn't have the attributes to be competitive now.
I agree. He's a candidate .... but not a strong one.

Even Bevo admitted in his presser yesterday how we got smashed in the ruck.

There are multiple players at stoppages.
The ruck is just one part of a team, and we shouldn't be too reliant on any one player\component.
One part, one of the most important roles in getting first hands to the ball, tapping do the on-ballers

Tim's ability in other aspects of the game more than compensate for any potential relative weaknesses at stoppages.

Im going to disagree, the basis of rucking at stoppages getting first hand to the ball provides your on-ballers with first opportunity to clear from the stoppage. Time and time again the opposition carry the ball out with ease because English easily gets shoved out of the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back