Autopsy This is going to be painful. The Dogs V Bombers debacle thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, helped developed them all, giving them games, while not "rebuilding" a list - managing to keep us there and about most years, and two GFs 5 years apart. Dunkley had played 17 games before the 2016 GF (and was beaten on the day) and Daniel had played 28 or so (and was beaten on the day). Tom Boyd was picked over Minson, an AA ruckman from 3 years before and Boyd could have won the Norm Smith. Our turnover merchant on the HBF, JJ, had played about 55 games and won the Norm Smith, notwithstanding 6 clangers, sub 70% disposal efficiency (but granted 876 meters gained).

There are ebbs and flows, but I'm getting pretty over the Bevo must go drivel from people and outsiders with a bone against our club like Kornes. There is method to his madness, and that mad genius has taken us to more GFs than any other coach in our history.
No one is disputing he has coached well in 2015-16 and 2021.(Outside of the GF)

It's all the other years that people have issues with.

I'll be interested to see how Timid English responds this week against a physical Marshall, considering the heat he rightfully copped in the media.

It's a shame he can't do a stint in the VFL.

If he can't get angry and aggressive this week it will never happen.

So Sanders has 5 tackles (out of 5 attempts) and 8 disposals @ 100%, in the half. Proceeds to get subbed for Dale.

Dale comes on and gets 3 disposals in a half and is invisible. What a great use of your tactical sub!!!

Bevo has the lost the ability to the get the most out of the players. Players are playing well below their levels and frankly look like they don’t give a *.

We were sold last year that the boys love Bevo. They haven’t been ******* playing like it for over two seasons now.

The fans are made to pay for the board accepting mediocrity.
This is an old post but with 13 likes I just find it bizarre that this is the takeaway.

Sanders played on the ball ... and had one contested possession, zero clearances, and despite 7/8 of his possessions coming uncontested he elected to handball 4 of those 7 times. Th

The fact that he managed to hit the intended target by hand ... despite winning the ball in an uncontested situation is irrelavent.

We lost overall clearances 28 to 34. Yes, part of that was English's poor game, but it was also because Sanders, really apart from laying a couple of tackles, attended dozens of stoppages yet could not even win the ball at all during the game when he did. He was poor. He deserved to get subbed off when he did in an attempt to arrest our biggest weakness in an attempt to win the game when he did.

I'm not sure why every club isn't drafting guaranteed AA at picks 19 & 46 every year.

I understand people are piling onto Bevo at the moment but we don't need to alter history. Bevo helped developed all of these AA players.
"Daniel would have been a top 10 pick if he was 10cm taller".

But he isn't, and his height leading to his weaknesses is part of the reason he's out of the team now. Ridiculous isn't it.

No one is disputing he has coached well in 2015-16 and 2021.(Outside of the GF)

It's all the other years that people have issues with.
It's incredibly precious that fans of our club - some of who have been alive to see us fail to make finals year after year after year - take issue with years in which a coach does get the club to finals. Maybe if we'd pinched an elimination final win in 2020 or 2022 before getting knocked out people's views would be different, even if nothing notably different about Bevo happened in the past?

It's incredibly precious that fans of our club - some of who have been alive to see us fail to make finals year after year after year - take issue with years in which a coach does get the club to finals. Maybe if we'd pinched an elimination final win in 2020 or 2022 before getting knocked out people's views would be different, even if nothing notably different about Bevo happened in the past?
So you don't see room for improvement or any criticism to be warranted for the way he has coached during his tenure?

So you don't see room for improvement or any criticism to be warranted for the way he has coached during his tenure?
Not nearly as much as people are making them out to be. Winning games of football is tough. 17 other clubs try to do it as much as we do.

I'll be interested to see how Timid English responds this week against a physical Marshall, considering the heat he rightfully copped in the media.

It's a shame he can't do a stint in the VFL.

If he can't get angry and aggressive this week it will never happen.
He should be able to jump over the top of Marshall.

This is an old post but with 13 likes I just find it bizarre that this is the takeaway.

Sanders played on the ball ... and had one contested possession, zero clearances, and despite 7/8 of his possessions coming uncontested he elected to handball 4 of those 7 times. Th

The fact that he managed to hit the intended target by hand ... despite winning the ball in an uncontested situation is irrelavent.

We lost overall clearances 28 to 34. Yes, part of that was English's poor game, but it was also because Sanders, really apart from laying a couple of tackles, attended dozens of stoppages yet could not even win the ball at all during the game when he did. He was poor. He deserved to get subbed off when he did in an attempt to arrest our biggest weakness in an attempt to win the game when he did.
English has been costing us countless games for years. The midfield are probably fed up with having to do all the work all the time, when he constantly gets murdered by every ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English has been costing us countless games for years. The midfield are probably fed up with having to do all the work all the time, when he constantly gets murdered by every ruck
Bizarre he was determined to be all-Australian last year if he was costing us games

If you don’t think he hasn’t been costing us games, you don’t know much about football. He received AA for his work around the ground, not for his CB ruck work which is some of the worst in the league
I would think costing your team games would be a big no-no by the All-Australian selection panel. Maybe they don't much about football either.

I would think costing your team games would be a big no-no by the All-Australian selection panel. Maybe they don't much about football either.

So how long have you been an All Australian selector?

So how long have you been an All Australian selector?

I think he is implying that perhaps all Australian selectors know a touch more about afl football than those on this forum?

Let’s not forget that Timmy had what appeared to be some significant concussion issues that compromised his pre season.

I reckon his confidence may be down - and related to the concussion history.Nathan Murphy said his issue became more mental than physical.

I hope he can get back to his best.He is a different style of ruckman and not everyone’s cup of tea - but at his best is a key player for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you honestly believe AA selectors actually watch a big chunk of every team’s games closely and don’t base most of their decisions on stats and narrative, I’ve got some magic beans you may be interested in.

If you honestly believe AA selectors actually watch a big chunk of every team’s games closely and don’t base most of their decisions on stats and narrative, I’ve got some magic beans you may be interested in.
I would think that any panel that contained renowned big brains the likes of Kane Cornes, Jude Bolton, Cameron Ling and is padded out by AFL admins is one that can be easily ignored.

Like the Brownlow the Rising star, an Order of Australia, a knighthood, the highest Donkey Kong score at the arcade or any of the multitude of media awards. The AA is nice for the resume, but it doesn't really mean much.

Id value a club b&f above any of the above*

* maybe not the Donkey Kong score.

I didn't realise the opinion of a bunch of plonkers of who the best players across an entire competition are each year, based on a "vibe" and with no real statistical analysis to justify picking some players over other frequently equally-performed players, is linked to a tin can hurtling through space in July 1969. But there you go...

I've got a bone to pick with you Doggy fans. I was relying on your prediction that it was going to be a walkover last night against the Dons.
I had already tipped Brisbane to win, got the correct margin and was looking at taking out this round and moving up from my current place of 345,972.
But no. It all went down the gurgler and the following day you are saying you want the coach sacked.
You've already won two games - that's basically more than the Eagles and Nth Melb - put together have won - in the last two years. And I'll bet there will be more wins for the Bulldogs and the only game Nth or WCE win is when they play each other.
Bevo was sweating last night because he was trying to come up with ways to turn the tide.
I think all Simmo is thinking about on match day is where to take the family on holidays.
You guys will be in the 8 at the end of the year, so don't desert the ship yet.
Playing well at the end of the year is what counts the most in this game.
Were you Dog lovers happy last night? Did you notice your team has a lot of excellent players and a really good coach? Did you watch to the end of the game to see the score, because all the St Kilda fans had left.
You guys should take a long hard look at yourselves for creating such drama, when there was really no need.
None of you obviously have been North Melb or eagles fans and how long has it been since St Kilda won a flag and how many altogether.
I don't care if I replied to my own post because you all need to have a good hard look at yourselves.
Now you'll probably be saying Lobb's a waste of space and next week he might come out and kick the same number of goals Naughty did this week.
The debacle wasn't with the team or coach, it was with the supporters.

Last edited:
There is perhaps a small consolation in our loss. We seem to have channelled some karma through Essendon which came out in their game on Friday. Adelaide lost a close one after a controversial umpiring decision in the fourth quarter. Sound familiar, Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back