Autopsy The Kumbaya everything is wonderful again Dogs 124. Saints 10 goals less thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd have to say this season that generally players dropped or coming off the sub role have played well.

Perhaps it's working to give them a rev up?
Not much doubt about that , as if you don't have some sort of impact as sub next step is back to the VFL.
And none of them want to give up the match payment and not play in the top grade

And what happens if Darcy gets hurt for an extended period? Buku back to forward/ruck. We’ve been blessed with the availability of English, Naughton and Jamarra the last season and a bit but it’s not always going to be the case. Think Lobb is still worth keeping around
Would keep Lobb if he wants to stay but suspect he may seek a trade himself at the end of the year

Didn't Chris Grant move back and by rights should have won a Brownlow?

In 1996, Joyce started him at CHB, and he pretty much played the whole season there, with very few short forays forward. He actually kicked a number of his goals in 96 running off his man. Carey said Grant was his hardest opponent in 96. The last game in r22 v Essendon, Hird and Grant were probably equal BOG. But Bombers pipped us by under a goal, Hird got 3 votes, Grant 2.

Hird and Voss (and the suspended McKernan) tied on 21, Grant equal second with Nathan Burke on 20.

We beat Bombers, Grant likely would have got 3 and Hird 2. ☹

Wallace used him as a swing man. Sadly he didn't move him back in the 97 prelim and that probably cost us the game (and a flag).

He wasn't a swing man under Wallace until later, not in 97, played the first 4 and a bit games in defence in 1997 (we went L-W-W-W), with round 2 and 4 of those drawing 3 brownlow votes each, then moved to CHF in round 5 v Adelaide, and stayed there.

Agree swinging him back in the prelim may have saved the game, although we had no ideal match for Jarman, which is why Curley was the unfortunate sitting duck. Grant back may have forced Crows wider, and he could have just sat between CHB and their goal square. But they were on a roll, and Jarman was unstoppable, so who knows.

Another way of looking at it is that when he has gotten a few early goals, is that they send a defender to him that his sole objective is to put the clamps on Weightman. Which they achieve but they are pretty much down a defender offensively as they don't drop off to roll over and be third one up. Or try and link up once they get possession.
Also has the flow on effect of opening up the forward line as Weightman just drags his man away from the fall of the ball.
Then try and use his smarts to get involved after
No doubt Weightman influences the game with his early goals that require a change of plans for the opposition. Can only be good if he can disrupt the opposition's plans and open up opportunities for others.

As a team we have shown that we can play pretty well when things are on our terms, and everything is "clicking". Credit where credit is due, but how much of the result was down to the opposition having a really poor night? That being said, we won convincingly which is always better than losing.

As a team we have shown that we can play pretty well when things are on our terms, and everything is "clicking". Credit where credit is due, but how much of the result was down to the opposition having a really poor night? That being said, we won convincingly which is always better than losing.
They did play poorly ... how much of that was down to our team's pressure?

Saints hadn't lost by any more than 5 points

Wallace used him as a swing man. Sadly he didn't move him back in the 97 prelim and that probably cost us the game (and a flag).
My recollection was Grant played CHB in 96 and when Wallace took over from 97 he played predominantly forward. Spent little time in defence during the Wallace period.

They did play poorly ... how much of that was down to our team's pressure?

Saints hadn't lost by any more than 5 points
Our team's pressure was good, at the standard it needs to be. Likewise, Saint's pressure was uncharacteristically bad, which allowed us to do what we please for most of the game.

Lobb does a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed. Dummy leads, blocks, bringing the ball to the front of a contest (yes that’s a skill, a lot of our other talls don’t do it). Naughton & Weightman look better when he’s in the side.

He’s been in systems with Jeremy Cameron, Patton, Green etc and Freo are very system based with those little things for their big guys. He’d have good intel.

He’s no fool as a footballer and is a handy experienced guy for Naughton, JUH and Darcy to learn off.

Lobb is what he is. A serviceable ruck/2nd key fwd who will do those little things week-to-week and bob up with a bag a few times a year.

A lot of fans expect too much from him.
Yes and the bullshit that keeps getting spouted about him being on massive coin is just wrong.
Rumoured to be on $500k per year - the average AFL wage is $450k - he is a better than average player so Sam Power has got that one just right.

They were missing King, Crouch, Webster, Henry, Wood and Paton and maybe another one or two from their best 18.

Yes, two of the best three missing from the game were ours (Libba & Marra), but I reckon that depleted Saints side in their third game in 11 days wasn’t the hardest opponent.

I won’t be raising my hopes for this team’s prospects this year off the back of this win, as enjoyable as it was. Will instead be watching keenly to see what we do against Freo.

They were missing King, Crouch, Webster, Henry, Wood and Paton and maybe another one or two from their best 18.

Yes, two of the best three missing from the game were ours (Libba & Marra), but I reckon that depleted Saints side in their third game in 11 days wasn’t the hardest opponent.

I won’t be raising my hopes for this team’s prospects this year off the back of this win, as enjoyable as it was. Will instead be watching keenly to see what we do against Freo.
Nearly beat the plastics away from home. King was non existent in that.

Some of those others are VFL plodders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb does a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed. Dummy leads, blocks, bringing the ball to the front of a contest (yes that’s a skill, a lot of our other talls don’t do it). Naughton & Weightman look better when he’s in the side.

He’s been in systems with Jeremy Cameron, Patton, Green etc and Freo are very system based with those little things for their big guys. He’d have good intel.

He’s no fool as a footballer and is a handy experienced guy for Naughton, JUH and Darcy to learn off.

Lobb is what he is. A serviceable ruck/2nd key fwd who will do those little things week-to-week and bob up with a bag a few times a year.

A lot of fans expect too much from him.
A very astute observation, perhaps because it matches mine. I rate him much better than serviceable. He’s a superior tap ruckman to English and/or Darcy and, as you point out, has the best forward craft in the team.

Paton certainly isn't.

Webster debatable.

Wood was good last year at times but isn't flash

Webster’s played 1 VFL game and 57 AFL games the last 3 years so he’s not really debatable. Paton, maybe. It’s picking nits though, they were pretty bad and there were some reasons for it. Hard to take too much from it for us.

Webster’s played 1 VFL game and 57 AFL games the last 3 years so he’s not really debatable. Paton, maybe. It’s picking nits though, they were pretty bad and there were some reasons for it. Hard to take too much from it for us.
Thing is, any time the dogs play well even our supporters try to make excuses for the opposition ..

Thing is, any time the dogs play well even our supporters try to make excuses for the opposition ..

Whether that’s true or not it has no bearing on my opinion. I’m just looking at the facts. I don’t recall anyone making excuses for Melbourne or Brisbane last time we beat them though.

Always a bit of a throwaway line 'they were missing'...
It's not as if they don't replace them with new players.
Ross Lyon always gets his soldiers up

Always a bit of a throwaway line 'they were missing'...
It's not as if they don't replace them with new players.
Ross Lyon always gets his soldiers up

Seems it’s just me but I didn’t think they looked particularly up for it on Thursday. If others think differently that presumably bodes well for us against Freo.

Seems it’s just me but I didn’t think they looked particularly up for it on Thursday. If others think differently that presumably bodes well for us against Freo.
Grand total of their losses was a goal before Thursday.

They don't score heavily but don't allow much through either.

They might have been off a bit but personnel isn't an excuse for them ... they are a system team... and they were only missing King from last week who was crap last week too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back