Autopsy The Kumbaya everything is wonderful again Dogs 124. Saints 10 goals less thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t see it with Bramble in his current role . Playing deep he gets caught out too often and is easily outmarked. Daniel might be smaller and slower but his creativity makes him more dangerous than Bramble’s limited abilities .

It's always that way. The losses get many more pages of "discussion".

As an aside, thought Lobb was awesome last night. One of his best games for us and was looking like he was at the end of last year.
Lobb was great, when he plays like that he offers more than JUH (doesnt hurt you with ball use) and Darcy, wish he would meet the ball at its highest point more, often hunched over at point of contact negating his height advantage in marking contests.
problem is, he is always good fresh after dropping or under pressure, he then reverts to mediocre Lobb pretty quickly.

I don’t see it with Bramble in his current role . Playing deep he gets caught out too often and is easily outmarked. Daniel might be smaller and slower but his creativity makes him more dangerous than Bramble’s limited abilities .
Have you watched Daniel over the last 2 years? The creativity went a long time ago

problem is, he is always good fresh after dropping or under pressure, he then reverts to mediocre Lobb pretty quickly.
This is essentially it. He'll follow up a good performance with a handful where he's barely sighted or involved.

Keeping these players around is brutal for your club long term because they'll always give you flashes to make you think they might become more consistent.

If Buss puts it together as well, having two key defenders who can be genuine attacking options would be massive
I was super impressed with Buss last week, if he plays another game or two like that he'll well and truly be in contention.

I've slowly come to accept that to have a certain amount of legspeed in our team (especially with the repeat efforts and covering the ground that modern footy demands) that we will have to retain players like Bramble and Vandermeer in their team even if there are many valid frustrations about their play.

There were times where he was a complete non-factor defensively, losing his man or being outbodied in marking contests in a way you think any replacement level AFL football shouldn't be able. But there were also times that he used his legspeed to clear the area or get himself/teammates out from under pressure.

JJ isn't the rapidly quick player like he once was earlier in his career, which is understandable for a 31 year old with lots of injuries. Ideally Bramble's speed would be found in a better player but at the same time that player wouldn't have been a delisted free agent.

Last edited:
While we're on the speed topic, Rhylee West hit a top speed of 32kph last night.

Last edited:
I can't remember the last time we looked that quick through the middle of the ground. Richard's debut performance in the middle well and truly exceeded expectations, and as you have observed, it was noticeable how often JJ and Dale were appearing and providing an option through the corridor.
Another of the many things Ive moaned about this season has been the lack of run and options coming from behind the ball. Dale and JJ getting off the chain last night put paid to that. Although we cracked the game very early by being so attacking. It was really apparent that we wanted to avoid the trap that we tend to fall into when coming out of defence of crabbing it around the boundary. We were definitely playing a corridor game last night.

As Ive said in the past. We're a very good side when we're allowed to play on our terms. As we were last night.

Whether teams that aren't as poor as the Saints are allow us to do this is yet to be seen.

I suspect that the dopamine hit of Ross' return last year has now worn off.
There had to be answer/alternative to the predictability of our Bont, Libba and Treloar. Macrae was excellent I thought. He plays that ball winning inside mid role in a different way to Libba but he was very effective in close, offensively and defensively.

Bont seemed to play outside far more tonight as Macrae, Treloar and Richards took responsibility for the inside. Perhaps the most promising thing to come out of the game. I wonder whether Bevo will give thought to Libba spending a bit more time outside rather than in if those guys (Macrae, Treloar, Richards, Garcia etc) can start getting it done consistently.
It's been noticeable how much of the heavy lifting in our recent sides has been left to the Bont, Libba and Treloar. Why Beveridge seemingly hasn't had the faith to consistently roll others through there when its been apparent that teams know the best way to beat them is to get the ball out wide of the initial contest and use speed, is something I will never understand. Running more dynamic players like Richards (even with his reliance on his left side) through CB seemed obvious to me and may be the key to getting Macrae back to his best. It's weird that Beveridge moved away from rotating mids through the centre as it was a hallmark of his early success.

It's going to be fascinating seeing how he approaches the return of CB workhorse and possibly his gun full-forward next week. I really hope that we see more of what was on display last night than the dogmatic predictability of recent seasons.

Rubbish. You sound like Barrett.

Anyone who watches the team properly will have seen how badly out of form Dale was against West Coast and Geelong. He was kicking helicopters and losing 1v1s.

I'm delighted he played so well last night, as he is very important to us, but something had to change after the Geelong game and it did.
If you need to relegate someone to the sub to motivate them then that's sad.

There were many other players who should have been relegated ahead of him and last night showed it with how he played... But we will agree to disagree

Rubbish. You sound like Barrett.

Anyone who watches the team properly will have seen how badly out of form Dale was against West Coast and Geelong. He was kicking helicopters and losing 1v1s.

I'm delighted he played so well last night, as he is very important to us, but something had to change after the Geelong game and it did.
You'd have to say this season that generally players dropped or coming off the sub role have played well.

Perhaps it's working to give them a rev up?

Another of the many things Ive moaned about this season has been the lack of run and options coming from behind the ball. Dale and JJ getting off the chain last night put paid to that. Although we cracked the game very early by being so attacking. It was really apparent that we wanted to avoid the trap that we tend to fall into when coming out of defence of crabbing it around the boundary. We were definitely playing a corridor game last night.

As Ive said in the past. We're a very good side when we're allowed to play on our terms. As we were last night.

Whether teams that aren't as poor as the Saints are allow us to do this is yet to be seen.

I suspect that the dopamine hit of Ross' return last year has now worn off.

It's been noticeable how much of the heavy lifting in our recent sides has been left to the Bont, Libba and Treloar. Why Beveridge seemingly hasn't had the faith to consistently roll others through there when its been apparent that teams know the best way to beat them is to get the ball out wide of the initial contest and use speed, is something I will never understand. Running more dynamic players like Richards (even with his reliance on his left side) through CB seemed obvious to me and may be the key to getting Macrae back to his best. It's weird that Beveridge moved away from rotating mids through the centre as it was a hallmark of his early success.

It's going to be fascinating seeing how he approaches the return of CB workhorse and possibly his gun full-forward next week. I really hope that we see more of what was on display last night than the dogmatic predictability of recent seasons.

You forgot to mention Garcia. Very good defensively. And took it away forward of the stoppage.

People here have underrated him imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You forgot to mention Garcia. Very good defensively. And took it away forward of the stoppage.

People here have underrated him imo.
I didn't mention him specifically but he was in mind when I wrote "more dynamic players" through CB.

I was skeptical about his ability to transition, but last night showed that he has the ability to make the jump.

Sorry LD, but that’s a lot of buzz words without actually meaning anything.

“A defensive first minded onballer“ -

He attended his first ever CB last night. How on earth can we determine this?
One thing we did see is he stood 2m off his opponent at most CB stoppages, and let them walts through to goal side without laying a hand on them.

“A bigger body to get around, break away from” -

I’m not sure the relevance of this being a requirement for Richard’s getting midfield minutes. He’s a medium sized half backer.

“A guy that stays on his feet and does not go to ground” -

Again, what’s the relevance of this? I’d be concerned if this is what the match committees discusses when deciding if Richards gets ongoing midfield minutes.

Not sure about next can off the rank. Macrae loses his spot and Richards still
Misses out to a 1st year Sanders and a 2nd year Gallagher.

I’m guessing most who were keen to see Richard’s in the middle had pretty low expectations, because personally I thought he was pretty underwhelming. 18 disposals, 2 from 22 CB attendances. In a team that won by 10 goals, and a midfield group that had a field day.
Well the coaches played him there for a reason and have planned that all preseason (so maybe they see the things that I see in him, bigger body, stays on his feet and and stronger willingness to be defensive in the middle).
Is he there yet, of course not yet does he have the attributes, I believe so and so do the people that matter like the coaches.
So just maybe your view is different to some posters and our coaches yet you don't have to be a smart arse. Yet that's probably just you, someone who thinks they are smarter than everyone else on this forum. A loser who would prefer to argue for the sake of it with posters than have any genuine debates or views on things.

I'm still on the fence with Bramble too, although he did get a mention in there post match conference for his role on Higgins. I still think we need a proper lockdown small defender to replace Duryea in years ahead with

While we're on the speed topic, Rhylee West hit a top speed of 32kph last night.
Horizontally, or on the way down after flying for a mark?

Jks, he's absolutely stamped himself in the best 22 this year.

If we ever needed evidence Lobb needs to be traded, it was last nights game.

Lobb was good, but so were our other talls. With Marra coming back, it’ll create some selection and list management headaches.

Darcy’s ready to take the role. Let’s cash in and get an extra 2nd rounder for this years draft

I'm still on the fence with Bramble too, although he did get a mention in there post match conference for his role on Higgins. I still think we need a proper lockdown small defender to replace Duryea in years ahead with
Speaking of Duryea. Even if tangentially. I thought was very good in his typically understated way.

It's not hard to see why the club was happy to rookie him over the pre-season.

It was a wise move.

Credit to him and the way he's been managed. He's ready and has made every post a winner this season. There's a nice little hard edge to the small forwards this year.
I feel like he's the most "Clay Smith" small forward we've had since Clay Smith. He's quite solid too so stands his ground quite well and his forward craft is a mile ahead of where it was even last year.

Speaking of Duryea. Even if tangentially. I thought was very good in his typically understated way.

It's not hard to see why the club was happy to rookie him over the pre-season.

It was a wise move.
Duryea is playing well this year maybe he was carrying something last year? But we still need to find a small lockdown defender.

I feel like he's the most "Clay Smith" small forward we've had since Clay Smith. He's quite solid too so stands his ground quite well and his forward craft is a mile ahead of where it was even last year.
Yeah I agree. And I'm on board with anything that approaches Clay's level of hardness and commitment. He and VDM are a nice little 1 2 punch up there. Different, but both relish the physical stuff and like to let the opposition know they're there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back