Autopsy The Kumbaya everything is wonderful again Dogs 124. Saints 10 goals less thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a great performance against a pretty decent team, who have been a bit hit and miss in their own right. Take nothing away from the win but still the only thing this team can do to build confidence is beat good teams. Beating mid teams by 10 goals means nothing for us, we’ve seen it all before. Simply beat a top side and I’ll take note, this week is a very good opportunity for us

Have a saints mad mrs and watch a lot of them this year - their pressure was well below their usual in that game and ours was well above our usual level that we serve up.

We also kicked unsustainably well for goal considering what we usually dish up in that area too.

Asking to see a bit more consistency is more than fair.

All of these points may entirely be valid but surely can only change the expected margin by a couple of goals at best. And a ten goal win is still a ten goal win - what would the response be if it was "merely" a six goal win but they had all those players in?

If it was so self-evidently an obvious explanation for the Saints' loss - their injuries and their short breaks - there was plenty of opportunity to wager your hard earned on a Dogs win at your favourite over-advertised sports betting app and get yourself some positive value betting on.

All of these points may entirely be valid but surely can only change the expected margin by a couple of goals at best. And a ten goal win is still a ten goal win - what would the response be if it was "merely" a six goal win but they had all those players in?

If it was so self-evidently an obvious explanation for the Saints' loss - their injuries and their short breaks - there was plenty of opportunity to wager your hard earned on a Dogs win at your favourite over-advertised sports betting app and get yourself some positive value betting on.

Some weeks our opponents aren’t going to play well, just like some weeks we don’t. I don’t think the Saints played well on Thursday night. I flagged a couple of things that could have contributed to it. Maybe they were just flat. It doesn’t really matter. The point was dismantling a lacklustre opponent has never been the problem for us so for me the win was great fun but hasn’t really increased my belief in this side. I don’t need to be gambling on games to validate any of that.

They were missing King, Crouch, Webster, Henry, Wood and Paton and maybe another one or two from their best 18.

Yes, two of the best three missing from the game were ours (Libba & Marra), but I reckon that depleted Saints side in their third game in 11 days wasn’t the hardest opponent.

I won’t be raising my hopes for this team’s prospects this year off the back of this win, as enjoyable as it was. Will instead be watching keenly to see what we do against Freo.
The more I see Geelong tear teams a new one the better I’m feeling. We took it right to them. Melbourne still a worry and I hate the fact we start slow every ******* year and Essendon an aberration (hopefully!). If we go 3 and zip over the next 3 games we will set up the season and there’s every reason we can expect this team to do that.

Thing is, any time the dogs play well even our supporters try to make excuses for the opposition ..

This. You can only beat what side is on the park. And to do it emphatically against a weakened side that had everything to play for still counts as a good win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This. You can only beat what side is on the park. And to do it emphatically against a weakened side that had everything to play for still counts as a good win.

I agree but I do think the “two four day preparations” that Ross Lyon pointed out should get some discussion. I’d be dirty if it happened to the Dogs. I understand the AFL desire to maximise scheduling which includes Thursday nights and Sunday games and I certainly understand their love of money. But there must be someone smart enough to come up with a schedule that doesn’t disadvantage teams this way. If there isn’t the AFL list themselves need a refresh.

I agree but I do think the “two four day preparations” that Ross Lyon pointed out should get some discussion. I’d be dirty if it happened to the Dogs. I understand the AFL desire to maximise scheduling which includes Thursday nights and Sunday games and I certainly understand their love of money. But there must be someone smart enough to come up with a schedule that doesn’t disadvantage teams this way. If there isn’t the AFL list themselves need a refresh.
Saints played 3 games in 11 days.

We played 3 games in 12 days.

Saints played interstate - so did we.

Saints had players missing. So did we.

We were flat last week. They were flat this week.

Watching the game back, I noticed Darcy putting two important blocks on Wilkie in the same possession that resulted in Gallagher’s goal in the third. Completely taking him out of the game. He’s having a real impact in this forward line and around the ground.
It may not always show up on the stat sheet, but he’s got real footy nouse and showing that selflessness on the park at 20 years old is a real testament to his character.
On top of his freakish height, ability in the air and at ground level… he’s got the makings of an absolute superstar and can be a real leader at our club for years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was with Bont dropping marks last night?
That was noticeable, noticed two of them (that you would expect anyone to take) plus a scrubbed kick that looked like one of my golf shots. The fact that some off moments did not put us under pressure was a tribute to how well the boys were going. Phew!

That was noticeable, noticed two of them (that you would expect anyone to take) plus a scrubbed kick that looked like one of my golf shots. The fact that some off moments did not put us under pressure was a tribute to how well the boys were going. Phew!
Clearly playing hurt, but still a threat

Watching the game back, I noticed Darcy putting two important blocks on Wilkie in the same possession that resulted in Gallagher’s goal in the third. Completely taking him out of the game. He’s having a real impact in this forward line and around the ground.
It may not always show up on the stat sheet, but he’s got real footy nouse and showing that selflessness on the park at 20 years old is a real testament to his character.
On top of his freakish height, ability in the air and at ground level… he’s got the makings of an absolute superstar and can be a real leader at our club for years to come.
I'm starting to think his ceiling is higher than Marra & Naughton.
Absolute freakshow - near on 210cm but quite agile and his field kicking was excellent.

Didn’t say it wasn’t a good win. Said it was enjoyable but didn’t change my outlook on the prospects for this team. A 10 goal win is always great.

We’ve lost to three teams in the 8 and beaten three teams outside the 8. Similar to the last couple of years. Probably a fair reflection of where we’re at and what I’d expect.

Hopefully we keep beating the poorer sides until we hit the Giants-Swans-Pies-Lions stretch in a few weeks and then win one or two of those. If that happens, I’ll have to adjust my expectations.

Didn’t say it wasn’t a good win. Said it was enjoyable but didn’t change my outlook on the prospects for this team. A 10 goal win is always great.

We’ve lost to three teams in the 8 and beaten three teams outside the 8. Similar to the last couple of years. Probably a fair reflection of where we’re at and what I’d expect.

Hopefully we keep beating the poorer sides until we hit the Giants-Swans-Pies-Lions stretch in a few weeks and then win one or two of those. If that happens, I’ll have to adjust my expectations.
Nobody's saying that there isn't room for improvement, just that people were judging the actual results wildly differently by literally calling for a sacking of the coach and an interim coach for 17 games or whatever.

Coaches Votes

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs​

9 Aaron Naughton (WB)
9 Bailey Dale (WB)
5 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
5 Adam Treloar (WB)
1 Liam Jones (WB)
1 Tim English (WB)

Clearly playing hurt, but still a threat
At the game with my son, I took the opportunity to say ‘Don’t give it to Bontempelli, he’ll only stuff it up.’ Felt like I should say it while I had the chance, probably won’t happen again.

Coaches Votes

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs​

9 Aaron Naughton (WB)
9 Bailey Dale (WB)
5 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
5 Adam Treloar (WB)
1 Liam Jones (WB)
1 Tim English (WB)
Can't argue with Astro and Dale but I'm surprised Macrae didn't feature somewhere down the order. I thought he had a very good game.

And Bont did better than he did in the Ching votes. Maybe we have too high an expectation of him? When he plays an ordinary game (for him) it's still a very good game by most other players' standards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back